PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates gets knighted!

BWF89
March 3rd, 2005, 11:14 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/158024_tl126.html

Quake
March 3rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
I, Bill Gates, The Knight of the British Empire, will slay the penguin who is indeed the menace of the world.

Seandq
March 3rd, 2005, 11:33 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/158024_tl126.html
I screamed at the TV when I saw the disgraceful footage on World News Tonight last night.

JeffS
March 3rd, 2005, 11:53 PM
I wonder who he paid to get knighted. :wink:

Now BG is in company with Sir Paul, Sir Keith (Richards), Sir Elton, and Sir Alex Fergusson. He's bringing them down. :rolleyes:

Seandq
March 3rd, 2005, 11:54 PM
I wonder who he paid to get knighted. :wink:

Now BG is in company with Sir Paul, Sir Keith (Richards), Sir Elton, and Sir Alex Fergusson. He's bringing them down. :rolleyes:
Start the movement, guys.

I want a Sir Steve Jobs and more than Steve Jobs, I want a Sir Linus Torvalds.

Pronto.

JmSchanck
March 4th, 2005, 12:06 AM
hah, Yeah I was watching this on the news last night and they were explaining how he didn't get to be called sir but rather he could add the initials KBE onto the end of his name, when the reporter said it I could have sworn that she said KDE...

KiwiNZ
March 4th, 2005, 12:55 AM
His award was in recognition of the work he does for charity. Despite what you may think of MS and its products and reported company ethics , Bill Gates does a huge amount for charity . He gives more to charity than many western industrialised nations.

I agree with him getting such an honour.

JeffS
March 4th, 2005, 01:07 AM
His award was in recognition of the work he does for charity. Despite what you may think of MS and its products and reported company ethics , Bill Gates does a huge amount for charity . He gives more to charity than many western industrialised nations.

That's a good point. Gates should be given credit for that.

Zundfolge
March 4th, 2005, 01:10 AM
One good thing, since he's not a British subject he doesn't get to use the Sir in front of his name.

Sir William Gates would just sound too damn pompas :shock:

Seandq
March 4th, 2005, 01:17 AM

Well said. And with that, I agree.

bored2k
March 4th, 2005, 02:15 AM

indeed .

BWF89
March 4th, 2005, 04:14 AM

Linux companies aren't rich enough to give to charity. 8-)

BWF89
March 4th, 2005, 04:17 AM
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s1i7590
LOL :lol:

jeremy
March 4th, 2005, 07:20 AM
As the royal family is descended from a long line of robber barons, it is unsurprising that she should knight one.

As for charity, I recently donated 200 Euros to an african childcare charity, that, as a proportion of my wealth, is many many times more than the money Gates gives.

DirtDawg
March 4th, 2005, 07:54 AM

I agree too, though I do believe he was knighted for his contributions to technology. Even then, I think that's fine too. I may not like the way his business operates and I don't appreciate his ideas about intellectual property, but overall he's done a lot in the way of introducing technology to the masses and I think that's great. Same goes for the boyz at Apple. What I'd really like to see though is a news story about "Sir Linus Torvalds". Now that would be sweet.

nikopol
March 5th, 2005, 01:18 AM

Whooooahh! They gave one to Keith Richards? Last think I heard was his complete disgust at the system and slating Jagger for accepting one...

Strange thing the hounours system - I've for far more respect for the refusniks than the pompous gits who accept them. Consider this: Graham Greene, JG Ballard LS Lowry, and even Bowie all refused their honours...

Potemkin
March 5th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Whooooahh! They gave one to Keith Richards? Last think I heard was his complete disgust at the system and slating Jagger for accepting one...

Strange thing the hounours system - I've for far more respect for the refusniks than the pompous gits who accept them. Consider this: Graham Greene, JG Ballard LS Lowry, and even Bowie all refused their honours...
Absolutely right. It's the highest badge of honour to have refused a title from the corrupt, semi-feudal 'Honours' system of the British Empire (which itself had much in common with Bill Gates' Micro$oft). We should have our own title for such refusniks. How about "Notsir"? "Notsir Graham Greene", "Notsir James G Ballard", and even "Notsir David Bowie". Now that's class! :D

jsgotangco
March 5th, 2005, 04:12 PM
The real question is: When will Mark Shuttleworth be called Sir or Notsir? :lol: