PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install uTorrent,AIM and VLC??

aDyingApril
June 29th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hi:D

Big n00b on Ubuntu 11.04, and tried to look around on the web for guids to install simple programs but I didn't find any good ones:/

So of you guys have any guids how to install program like uTorrent, AIM and VLC it would be very muvh appreciated;D

Thx for answers:D

haqking
June 29th, 2011, 10:08 PM

Big n00b on Ubuntu 11.04, and tried to look around on the web for guids to install simple programs but I didn't find any good ones:/

So of you guys have any guids how to install program like uTorrent, AIM and VLC it would be very much appreciated;D

hi welcome to Ubuntu and Linux.

The easiest way for you right now is on the applications menu and you shoulld see the Ubuntu Software Centre.

If you type VLC you will see it and click install.

Utorrent is not a Linux app however there are other ones as good and better such as Qbittorrent,Ktorrent,Deluge etc.

Just type torrent and look at each one.

Same for AIM, we dont have AIM but we do have clients than connect using the AIM protocol amongst many such as Pidgin and Empathy.

Have fun ;-)

aDyingApril
June 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM
hi welcome to Ubuntu and Linux.

The easiest way for you right now is on the applications menu and you shoulld see the Ubuntu Software Centre.

If you type VLC you will see it and click install.

Utorrent is not a Linux app however there are other ones as good and better such as Qbittorrent,Ktorrent,Deluge etc.

Just type torrent and look at each one.

Same for AIM, we dont have AIM but we do have clients than connect using the AIM protocol amongst many such as Pidgin and Empathy.

Have fun ;-)
Thank you so much!:D Been surfing around for, I don't wanna know, hehe:P This was very easy! All I'm been doing is try to write commands in terminal etc

Again thx a lot;D

haqking
June 29th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Thank you so much!:D Been surfing around for, I don't wanna know, hehe:P This was very easy! All I'm been doing is try to write commands in terminal etc

Again thx a lot;D

Well terminal will be your best friend in Linux in general and these forums will be a great place to learn and share.

read all the tutorials and stickies and FAQ's though ;-)

The terminal will eventually become as usable as point and click after a while (as long as you are still young...LOL

But yeah anything you want you can find in the Ubuntu Software Centre as well as Synaptic package manager found on system>admin menu....pretty much, everything else you can dowload and compile from source or a packaged .deb file which is like a .exe in windows (kinda)

peace

spcwingo
June 30th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Utorrent is not a Linux app

It has been ported (at least partially). It's still in alpha and it's cli only from what I understand. Anyways, here's a link:

http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux

More about the Linux version here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=83506

mastablasta
June 30th, 2011, 07:05 AM

you know what's even easier? you don't have to actually type those commands. you can copy&paste them into the terminal. ;-)

trizrK
June 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM

So of you guys have any guids how to install program like uTorrent, AIM and VLC it would be very muvh appreciated;D

The Transmission Bittorrent Client(ubutu default bittorrent program) works just fine for torrents. Is there some reason you don't like it?