PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 2 Windows, 1 ubuntu

Mr. Universe
June 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hello, I have used ubuntu for a bit and am enjoying it. I recently had to upgrage my pc because I ran out of space and decided to better setup my ubuntu. I use two hard drives in a notebook computer with a copy of windows installed on each. I dual boot widows so I can play games on one with little overhead. I had previously installed ubuntu through wubi but I would like to partition my first drive and actually install ubuntu this time. My question is either, will the grub detect both windows on the different drives or how to I set it up to? I haven't installed ubuntu yet or partitioned my drive because I don't want to mess it up. Thank you in advance!

PC Specs:
HP Pavilion DV7-1175nr
Windows 7 x64 for work (Drive 0)
Windows 7 x64 for play (Drive 1)
Drive 0 500GB
Drive 1 500GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT

amjjawad
June 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hello, I have used ubuntu for a bit and am enjoying it. I recently had to upgrage my pc because I ran out of space and decided to better setup my ubuntu. I use two hard drives in a notebook computer with a copy of windows installed on each. I dual boot widows so I can play games on one with little overhead. I had previously installed ubuntu through wubi but I would like to partition my first drive and actually install ubuntu this time. My question is either, will the grub detect both windows on the different drives or how to I set it up to? I haven't installed ubuntu yet or partitioned my drive because I don't want to mess it up. Thank you in advance!

PC Specs:
HP Pavilion DV7-1175nr
Windows 7 x64 for work (Drive 0)
Windows 7 x64 for play (Drive 1)
Drive 0 500GB
Drive 1 500GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT

Hello and Welcome :)

A very quick answer to your question is YES, GRUB is able to detect many Operating Systems and it does that with Windows for sure.
However, if you had Ubuntu installed before via Wubi then you need to know that Wubi is NOT a Real Installation. It's like a Virtual Installation.

Mr. Universe
June 29th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Thank you for being quick, I understand that wubi is not a real instal, that's why I would like to get a real install of ubuntu in a partition. My main concern is that it will not detect windows on my second drive. On another note will it be possible to rename the entries so it is easier to tell them apart?

amjjawad
June 29th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Thank you for being quick, I understand that wubi is not a real instal, that's why I would like to get a real install of ubuntu in a partition. My main concern is that it will not detect windows on my second drive. On another note will it be possible to rename the entries so it is easier to tell them apart?

It's very good if you know that about Wubi :)

Yes. GRUB2 will do just that, don't worry. I once installed 9 OS's and I had two HDDs as well. GRUB2 was able to detect them all. For further information, check out the last link in my signature :)

Rename Entries? oh yes, that's also possible.

Another link which might be helpful: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1287602

Mr. Universe
June 29th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you, I'm glad for the assistance. Those links are very helpful!

amjjawad
June 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Thank you, I'm glad for the assistance. Those links are very helpful!

Let me know if you need anything else :)

You welcome!