PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Unity vs Gnome 3

Orcris
June 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I have Ubuntu 11.04, and I want to know whether I should use Unity or Gnome 3. Which one do you think is better? The only experience in Ubuntu I have is with Gnome 2 and Unity 2D, but I got a new Netbook yesterday and it has a 3d graphics card. Which one should I use, or should I stick with Gnome 2? What are the pros and cons of each shell?

ratcheer
June 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I still prefer Gnome 3, but it is more trouble to install, maintain, and customize. I am becoming more comfortable with Unity with time. That said, I am mostly using Gnome 2 (Classic). All of this is just my personal opinion.

I think if I wanted to use Gnome 3 full-time, I would switch to Fedora 15.

Tim

Ozymandias_117
June 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Personally, when Gnome Shell/Unity came out, I switched to KDE on my Desktop and Openbox on my netbook. :P

b9k9kiwi
June 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
The previews of Gnome3 (iGnome?) got me really excited and I was looking forward to using it - then, this Unity thing turned up.

Well, to be fair, I have never been more productive since the advent of the Unity desktop.

Sure, if you are in love with eye candy and the seemingly endless configuration war with Compiz, then Unity is not for you.

Zapping between two or three open web pages, a concurrent Skype video conference, with email open, making notes in LibreOffice Writer whilst developing a design on LibreOffice Draw (with Amarok gently thummping away in the background) is a breeze.

I miss Gnome2 to an extent (although I do not miss Compiz) and I am itching to play with Gnome3 - but I do think that 'play' is the operative word here.

Gnome3 looks like a lot of fun - Unity may not excite you, but it is highly functional.