PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install 11.04 on laptop

ronbrooks
June 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 that I had an older version of Ubuntu on. I wanted to install 11.04 which I have installed on my two desktop computer.

The live CD work great and I wanted to install. I clicked on other to install in the hard drive where the old version was and every thing went well until I got to the page were it asked about (who you are) I put in my name and password and clicked on log in without password and then could not click on the forward button. It looked like everything loaded OK as it went and downloaded all the update files.

That was as far as I could go on the install. The CD was a 32 bit version but the computer is a 64 bit AMD. My desk top are AMD chip set also and it installed OK on them.

Anyone have any help or suggestions. I was thinking that maybe if I got a 64 bit version that may work?

dino99
June 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM
try with noacpi or nomodeset on boot line

ronbrooks
June 29th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Thank You for that as I am not able to do it today but I will try it tomorrow and let you know how it comes out.

ronbrooks
June 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Well I did get a chance to try both of your suggestions noacpi and nomodeset but have the same trouble when I get to the Who are you page and I fill in my information I still can't click on the forward button it dose not work.

I am now left with windows OS only on my lap top. If you or anyone else has any other suggestion please let me know.

ronbrooks
June 29th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Well I couldn't get it installed on my computer so I tried to install 10.10 and that would not even run on the computer. So then I tried to install 10.04 and I finely got it to install so I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop.

I guess I will be stuck with that until it runs out in 2015 and by that time I may be ready for a new computer.

If anyone knows why this will not install either 11.04 or 10.10 on this laptop let me know as I would still like to put 11.04 on this laptop.

mörgæs
June 30th, 2011, 03:31 AM
10.04 is supported until april 2013 on desktops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_timeline

Sticking to this one for as long as it is supported is not a bad idea.

mastablasta
June 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM
If anyone knows why this will not install either 11.04 or 10.10 on this laptop let me know as I would still like to put 11.04 on this laptop.

maybe it didn't like your username or password. try changing it to somethign completelly different.

coffeecat
June 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I clicked on other to install in the hard drive where the old version was and every thing went well until I got to the page were it asked about (who you are) I put in my name and password and clicked on log in without password and then could not click on the forward button.

A common cause for this is having a capital letter in your username (log in name). Also - certain characters are disallowed at the end of the computer name, but you should be warned about this.

ronbrooks
June 30th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Thank you for your answers to my question. You may be right about the username as I was using a capital letter when I entered it. I will try it one more time and see if that will work. I will try it later today and see if it will work. I will get back to you after I try it out.