PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Teaks??

rette7mich
June 29th, 2011, 02:29 AM
(edit: Title Untiy Tweaks??)

so i just upgraded to 11.04 today, and definitely have mixed feelings about unity. most of the features seem to have potential, but still could use some fine tuning. this would be ok if users had any options to configure the new functions of our desktop environment.

ideally what i want is to keep the top bar with the ubuntu button, global menu bar and indicators, but i would like to find a way to disable or at least hide the left side launcher pane and supplement it with cairo-dock. this dock just doesnt yet function to my desires like cairo-dock does

no i dont want to switch to gnome2 either, because i want to keep the top panel, switching back to gnome2 is a last resort.

any tips or pointers on anything that can be done to edit these new unity settings would be appreciated, so far all ive found are the compiz settings. are there any gconf settings?

please help!

thanks!

The_Invincible
June 29th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Well as of now .. you cannot remove just the sidebar . You need to log out of the session and select Ubuntu classic while logging in to new session . This will bring back the old Gnome session . However , you won't get the Top panel in Gnome session . So either use Unity , or go back to Gnome ..

There might be other solution as well . I have given what i know , if u find anyother solution do post it .:)

rette7mich
June 29th, 2011, 05:05 AM
yea that is all ive heard so far too. but im sure there has to be some sort of way to manipulate it. i saw a forum post somewhere that spoke of some deb package that could help, but they didn't post a name or link.

if i find anything i will post it back here.

this new interface really interests me, but i (and what seems to be a decent amount of others) need to be able to customize this new interface.

edit: also i forgot to mention, i did find a close alternative to what i was trying to do by disabling the setting in compiz for unity that launches the panel when moving the mouse to the left of the screen, now the only problem is it launches on the ubuntu button.

still not an adequate fix, but its something

dFlyer
June 29th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Install ccsm from synaptic, at least you will be able to auto hide the sidebar.

rette7mich
June 29th, 2011, 05:25 AM
i did the upgrade today and it had auto-hide at default. and yes i have ccsm and mentioned the only helpful setting change above. but thank you