PDA

View Full Version : Which language should i learn for linux

Dhiraj Thakur(Invincible)
June 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM
hi all, i am quite new in the linux environment.....i like learning languages and coding...so i was thinking what languages are gud in linux environment .... i know python is one of em so...i hv learned python and pygtk 50% done so....m lukin fr a new programming/scripting lang. which is interesting as well as increases job opportunities....??

Thanks fr help in advance.... :)

cgroza
June 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
C++ seems to be popular around. I rarely see Java programs around Linux, correct me if I am wrong.

Pierrick584
June 28th, 2011, 08:15 PM
TCL/TK would be one of the most "linux language" C++ is def the best allaround.

About java, the only java program i ever saw on linux are, the recovery tool for my smartphone (witch are just built with that for crossplatform reason) and a game, witch was not that much linux friendly, even for a java app. so yeah, i also believe its quite rare

alegomaster
June 28th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I myself use C which is a great language. From C you can go on to C++, Java,Objective-C, or any of the programming languages based on C.

June 29th, 2011, 05:57 AM
C++ seems to be popular around. I rarely see Java programs around Linux, correct me if I am wrong.
Other than C or C++ i know both of them....

JDShu
June 29th, 2011, 06:09 AM
A pedantic answer is C for Linux kernel if thats your thing.

From a Jobs perspective: Java is the current standard, although it's slowly moving to Python. C is king for the most technical stuff like filesystems/device drivers/kernels etc. C++ if you want to work for big companies maintaining legacy software. I've seen some jobs that want knowledge of ASM, but they're rare and I'm not sure you'd want a job like that anyway.

The general advice to becoming a good programmer seems to be to learn a lower level language (C/C++) a higher level language that has garbage collection (Java/Perl/Python) and a language that uses primarily functional paradigms (Lisp/Haskell etc.)

JDShu
June 29th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Other than C or C++ i know both of them....

I've seen it argued that this is impossible ;)

June 29th, 2011, 06:14 AM
A pedantic answer is C for Linux kernel if thats your thing.

From a Jobs perspective: Java is the current standard, although it's slowly moving to Python. C is king for the most technical stuff like filesystems/device drivers/kernels etc. C++ if you want to work for big companies maintaining legacy software. I've seen some jobs that want knowledge of ASM, but they're rare and I'm not sure you'd want a job like that anyway.

The general advice to becoming a good programmer seems to be to learn a lower level language (C/C++) a higher level language that has garbage collection (Java/Perl/Python) and a language that uses primarily functional paradigms (Lisp/Haskell etc.)
Is bash shell scripting a good choice.....???

JDShu
June 29th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Is bash shell scripting a good choice.....???

I'm sure you'll get some use out of it. I've seen a few job postings.

June 29th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I'm sure you'll get some use out of it. I've seen a few job postings.
....and now is it interesting and useful i mean can i combine it with python or c , c++ code to create some magic ;)

JDShu
June 29th, 2011, 07:08 AM
....and now is it interesting and useful i mean can i combine it with python or c , c++ code to create some magic ;)

It's outside my area of expertise tbh. My guess is no - seems to be more useful for systems administration and maybe packaging. Although I guess you could get your programs to run together easily and quickly?

A bash expert could probably give a better answer.