PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Tweak "Memory"

EmmeVi
June 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hi! :)

I'm a newbie in Ubuntu World, so I have a lot of doubts...
Anyway my actual problem is to change my pictures, download and music folders, since my files are in another HDD partition; I can make it with Ubuntu Tweak, but at the first reboot folders are resetted. Which is the problem? Does this application conflicts with another one (as "compiz fusion icon")? :confused:

Please, help me! ):P

Frogs Hair
June 28th, 2011, 07:35 PM
The Compiz fusion Icon : http://wiki.compiz.org/CompizFusionIcon

tekkidd
June 28th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hmmm. It looks like you are just trying to make a link from the partition folder to your home directory. In that case go to the terminal and type in:

cd /media/<partition name>/
This will get you to the partition. Now assuming the folder you are trying to link is on the root of the partition enter this in the terminal:

ln -s <folder> /home/<username>/

Another reason why it might not be working is because you dont "own" the partition. In that case:

cd /media/
And

sudo chown <username> <partition name>

Hope all of this wasnt too complicated. Email me if you need more help: sonny@tekkidd.com

e79
June 28th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Anyway my actual problem is to change my pictures, download and music folders, since my files are in another HDD partition; I can make it with Ubuntu Tweak, but at the first reboot folders are resetted. Which is the problem? Does this application conflicts with another one (as "compiz fusion icon")? :confused:

At the reboot, try and open 'user-dirs.dirs' file located in your home folder, using any Text Editor of your choice; are the paths defined in Ubuntu tweak still there ?

Make a copy first to make sure you can revert to it if anything changes that you don't like

cp ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs_FRESH

Then open the file and try to change the paths

gedit ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

Reboot your machine and see how it goes.

dFlyer
June 28th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Keep an open mind. Go slow and have fun, that is the only way to learn linux. When you have problems ask questions being as specific as possible about your problem, hardware and error messages. Remember Ubuntu is not windows and doesn't work like windows. Give linux time to grow on you and maybe you will discover that it's even easier than windows to use.

EmmeVi
June 29th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Keep an open mind. Go slow and have fun, that is the only way to learn linux. When you have problems ask questions being as specific as possible about your problem, hardware and error messages. Remember Ubuntu is not windows and doesn't work like windows. Give linux time to grow on you and maybe you will discover that it's even easier than windows to use.

I totally agree with you!:p It's a month I started using Ubuntu and I understood that, if I want to make everything in a few moments, I can't until I become a real Ubuntuer! :D
And I'm sorry if my bad english make me appear like nervous or something similar...

However Tekkidd understood which is my problem (@e79: I tried that file, but I didn't find it...) but maybe I can't use very well the terminal...

Now I look at your suggestions and I'll say to you as soon as possible.

Thanks all :)

EmmeVi
June 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Reboot your machine and see how it goes.
At the reboot that file returns as before my modifications... :confused:

oldos2er
June 30th, 2011, 09:15 PM
If you're linking to partitions that aren't automounted at system start, that would explain why the links are broken. Can you tell us how your hard disk(s) are setup by running these commands and posting their output?
sudo fdisk -l

mount

EmmeVi
July 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
If you're linking to partitions that aren't automounted at system startYou're right, but I don't know how to make it... :lolflag:

Can you tell us how your hard disk(s) are setup by running these commands and posting their output?
Sure! Here we are:

Disco /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 byte
255 testine, 63 settori/tracce, 30401 cilindri
Unità = cilindri di 16065 * 512 = 8225280 byte
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Identificativo disco: 0xb8498fee

Dispositivo Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 25 200781 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 26 4487 35841015 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 30389 30402 105656 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda4 4488 30388 208049752 5 Esteso
/dev/sda5 4488 8949 35840983+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 8950 9459 4096543+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 15834 30388 116913006 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda8 9460 15833 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Le voci nella tabella delle partizioni non sono nello stesso ordine del disco

dino99
July 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
set your nautilus preference to select the partition/folder where you want your data/download, that's all.

oldos2er
July 2nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
You're right, but I don't know how to make it...

You need to edit your /etc/fstab file to add the partitions you want to automount.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions

Make a backup copy of your fstab first:
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backupOpen fstab in gedit:
gksu gedit /etc/fstab and add a line

/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs-3g defaults,user,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0You will need to create the mount point /media/sda1 if it doesn't exist. This is just an example, you can mount it wherever you wish. Of course you'll need to repeat the process if you want to mount your other NTFS partitions.

EmmeVi
July 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM
What can I say? THANK YOU! :)

My problem is now solved, thank you all :D

oldos2er
July 7th, 2011, 12:52 AM
You're welcome!