PDA

View Full Version : Opera 11.50 jumps out of the water

Quadunit404
June 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2011/06/28/swordfish-jumps-out-of-the-water

Good news for those of us here who use Opera. New features include Speed Dial extensions and the long-awaited password sync. Oh yeah, better memory usage and a new skin too.

I've already installed it and so far it's looking p r e t t y good.

FuturePilot
June 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I see they stole tab grouping from Firefox.

koleoptero
June 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM

All the browsers have stolen so much from opera over the years, they had to give something back eventually.

Phrea
June 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM

That is actually a feature it's had for quite a while.
Maybe it was called different, and they worked out some bugs, but basically, they had it for a while now.

TeoBigusGeekus
June 28th, 2011, 10:39 PM
That is actually a feature it's had for quite a while.
Maybe it was called different, and they worked out some bugs, but basically, they had it for a while now.

True (http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2010/08/05/tab-grouping).

Throne777
June 29th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Opera is a browser I'd like to use, but until you can install all the ad-block/no-script/etc stuff on it that I can get on Firefox, I'm sticking with Firefox.

Dry Lips
June 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM
If you've already got Opera installed, would you remove it
and install the new version or is there a way to do an upgrade?

FF is my main browser, but I do keep a handful other browsers around...

Quadunit404
June 29th, 2011, 10:20 PM
If you've already got Opera installed, would you remove it
and install the new version or is there a way to do an upgrade?

FF is my main browser, but I do keep a handful other browsers around...

Opera has had automatic updates since Opera 10, all the way back in 2009 :P

Dry Lips
June 29th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Opera has had automatic updates since Opera 10, all the way back in 2009 :P

My Opera is 11.10! So...

ScionicSpectre
June 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I check it out every once in a while to see what it's like so I can make recommendations to people who don't care about having 'free software'. But I don't do anything personal on it.

I don't have an issue using closed software from time to time, as the experience is important for me to be well-informed and not dogmatic and close-minded, but I never invest my personal computing in it. I only invest my business computing in it so far as it's required (not often, at this point).

If someone is willing to give their software to me for free, the least I can do is take a look at it and give them some feedback. As long as their intentions are not obviously nefarious, there's no harm in playing with someone's software every now and then.

Dry Lips
June 29th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I had a .deb installed, so I removed it and installed the new one...
But isn't there a PPA you could add somewhere?

Quadunit404
June 29th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Oh right auto-update is Windows-only :lol: check the update manager. Opera should have uploaded 11.50 to their PPA (which is added when you install Opera) by now and you can install it that way. I've done it before :V

Untold
July 31st, 2011, 07:30 AM
FF is my main one to but there are some sites that I go to for work purposes that it can't handle. Rather disappointing. Checked out Opera 11.50 just yesterday and it is faster than FF, Chromium, and Regular chrome. And it works with the sites I need it for. My only question is why is it not in the Software center. I used to run Mint and it was in theirs. Oh well. never hurts to surf for new software once in a while.;)

Quadunit404
July 31st, 2011, 05:33 PM
FF is my main one to but there are some sites that I go to for work purposes that it can't handle. Rather disappointing. Checked out Opera 11.50 just yesterday and it is faster than FF, Chromium, and Regular chrome. And it works with the sites I need it for. My only question is why is it not in the Software center. I used to run Mint and it was in theirs. Oh well. never hurts to surf for new software once in a while.;)

Probably because Opera is proprietary.

TeoBigusGeekus
July 31st, 2011, 09:17 PM
Probably because Opera is proprietary.

I don't think so... It used to be in the repositories.