PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to boot from USB flash drive

ktp.kti
June 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu 11.04 from a bootable USB flash drive. As i couldnt create the USB using the inbuilt usb creator which came with the .iso file i had downloaded, i had used universal USB installer to create it. It took a lot of time to created the bootable pendrive.

I had copied the contents of the pendrive thus created to a folder on my hard disk and named it 'PENDRIVE'. Later i had formatted the pendrive and used it for other purposes.

Today, i wanted to install ubuntu on another computer, so i copied the contents of this folder to my pendrive (instead of creating a bootable usb drive using universal USB installer again) and renamed my pendrive as 'PENDRIVE'. But when i tried to boot from it (i had changed the boot order of my computer accordingly) i got this message, 'remove any removable cd or media and press any button to restart'. Until i removed the pendrive my system refused to start and i was unable to install ubuntu. Why did this happen?

lightstream
June 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM
because the USB drive needs to be made bootable. You can do this using cfdisk with the -b option on the command line.

An easier way would be to download unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) though.

ktp.kti
June 28th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I used unetbootin and it worked! Thank you lightstream!