PDA

View Full Version : Learning C++ - What LiveCD to use?

kleptos
May 19th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I am trying to teach myself C++. I have a few books i am reading through and some sites i am going through. What i am looking for is an ideal LiveCD for learning C++. I know LiveCD's are prebuilt, which makes this a little tuffer to find. (I think). Do the ubuntu live cd's (edub, kub, ub) have what i would need to learn c++?
Thanks!

npodges
May 19th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Pretty much any distro is going to have the compilers you need. as fas as i know, that shouldnt be the determining factor, just what works best for you.

I use ubuntu as my main OS, but when i need to use a live cd, i always use knoppix. it's made to be a live cd, rather than ubuntu which is more for previewing. That may just be my opinion though..

also, i'm not sure a live cd is the best platform to learn programming on. I'd recommend using a full linux install or just using your windows install first, since it's something that's going to take some time and work.

I've just never used liveCDs for long periods of time, so maybe others will disagree.

ketsugi
May 19th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I might be wrong here but I don't think any of the Ubuntu LiveCDs come with development packages...

blanky
May 21st, 2006, 07:48 AM
cs.edu slax is probably the best programming live cd. It's made just for that, programming. It uses the enlightenment window manager, and is pretty slim and fast. Based off of slax. Backtrack and a few other pentesting cds have gcc/g++ though, you might want to check that out too. Also, you can configure slax to our liking (Add/remove modules)

http://charybde.homeunix.org/~schmitz/slax-csedu/

Klaidas
May 21st, 2006, 11:12 AM
For programming, I suggest installing the system.
After a few days you will get bored of using those LiveCD's
Besides, you can learn C++ using Linux and Windows :)

kleptos
May 22nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
For programming, I suggest installing the system.
After a few days you will get bored of using those LiveCD's
Besides, you can learn C++ using Linux and Windows :)

Which system would be best? I like the gnome interface, so i guess thats ubuntu?

S{yndrom}e
May 22nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
there really isn't a "best" system. Just pick one you like.

*cough*ubuntu*cough*

olsonar
May 23rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
if you have a fairly powerful system, you could try installing ubuntu in vmware. That way it doesn't endanger your system at all, and it'll keep any changes you make to it (like installing software), unlike a live cd. the vmware player is free, and you can use easyvmx.com to create the virtual machine.

Klaidas
May 23rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Well ya, I recomment ubuntu :)