PDA

View Full Version : Instant noodles - Do you eat them?

8_Bit
June 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Do you eat instant noodles? What's your favorite flavoring and/or brand?

I know they're absolutely terrible for your health, but sometimes when I need a really fast bite to eat and have no time to cook, they come in handy. Plus, I'm poor. D:

I personally eat from the brands Top Ramen and Maruchan. I know the latter is an international brand, as I've seen it in practically every country I've traveled to!

There used to be a really awesome Tomato Sauce flavored Top Ramen. I ate it once when I was a kid and it was really great. Have never been able to find it in stores for years, so I just add my own tomato sauce. :)

sydbat
June 28th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Who hasn't?

Also, Ichiban. Mmmm...Ichiban...

lulled
June 28th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I used to eat 'em a lot, but I haven't eaten any for ages. Bad for health and it doesn't taste as good as it used to do back then. My taste for instant noodles changed with time, I guess.

JDShu
June 28th, 2011, 01:07 AM
All the time when theres nothing else on hand.

Top Ramen + Cereal = sustenance throughout the school semester.

If I could choose though, Demae Itcho is my favorite brand.

doas777
June 28th, 2011, 01:08 AM
on occasion

Itadakemaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasu!

Rasa1111
June 28th, 2011, 01:11 AM
only when I really have to.
but I prefer the brands you get from the little asian stores, (can't pronounce them usually)
far better than anything in a regular supermarket.
just as cheap to I think. lol

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2011, 01:14 AM
No

I don't eat rubbish food

lulled
June 28th, 2011, 01:33 AM
My alternative to instant noodles is pão francês. It can be translated as "French Bread" (and from what I checked, they don't have this kind of bread in France) and it's the "default" Brazilian bread. Anyways, it's better when fresh and with a few hours it becomes rubbery and then it's dry and hard.
Since it's out "default" bread, I usually have some at home, so I butter some and put on the fridge (without any oil, only butter) for a while. Tastes delicious.

LowSky
June 28th, 2011, 02:08 AM
real noodles only take a few minutes to make, why waste time on garbage freeze dried noodles.

Smilax
June 28th, 2011, 02:39 AM
i got some fantastic noodles from the chinese supermarket

thay had 7 saclets, 5 sause, 1 fried onion, (really, it' was great), 1 powder.

epic,

cost each, was 0.17$

as for rubbish, whatever man, nah, they'll fine and some people can't afford more.

rubbish is what you throw in the bin,

food is what you eat.

if you don't like them that's fine but some people do, and others don't have a choice

yum yum.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2011, 03:06 AM
i got some fantastic noodles from the chinese supermarket

thay had 7 saclets, 5 sause, 1 fried onion, (really, it' was great), 1 powder.

epic,

cost each, was 0.17$

as for rubbish, whatever man, nah, they'll fine and some people can't afford more.

rubbish is what you throw in the bin,

food is what you eat.

if you don't like them that's fine but some people do, and others don't have a choice

yum yum.

They have little nutritional value. Would be better eating fruit or a couple of pieces of wholegrain bread with lettuce and tomato which would cost about the same and have vastly more nutritional value.

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I have, yes. They're cheep and quick but no less healthy than any other pasta. I'm carb-sensitive but when you're poor, a dollar's worth of ramen noodles will fill you up more than a dollar's worth of beef.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I have, yes. They're cheep and quick but no less healthy than any other pasta. I'm carb-sensitive but when you're poor, a dollar's worth of ramen noodles will fill you up more than a dollar's worth of beef.

They have high carbohydrates. Their percentages of saturated and trans fats are also high. There is very little mineral and vitamin content.

rg4w
June 28th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I eat 'em when I'm backpacking because they're warm carbs that pack well and weigh almost nothing. And I like the artificial flavoring. Yum.

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 04:06 AM
They have high carbohydrates. Their percentages of saturated and trans fats are also high. There is very little mineral and vitamin content.

I don't disagree at all but when you have only a dollar to spend for a meal, ramen noodles are more filling than something healthier, especially grass-fed beef.

trizrK
June 28th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Ick, no.

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I eat 'em when I'm backpacking because they're warm carbs that pack well and weigh almost nothing. And I like the artificial flavoring. Yum.
You should try pemmican (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican). :)

Alwimo
June 28th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I eat it twice a week when I'm at work. Mostly for something to pass the time...

NightwishFan
June 28th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I do at times. I rather like ramen and tend to add some ingredients to make more of a meal out of it.

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Now that I think about it, ramen noodles are about 6 for a dollar in the US, aren't they?

Junk food is ridiculously cheep here! It should be taxed in order to subsidize healthy food - a luxury tax if you will! :)

beew
June 28th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Now that I think about it, ramen noodles are about 6 for a dollar in the US, aren't they?

Junk food is ridiculously cheep here! It should be taxed in order to subsidize healthy food - a luxury tax if you will! :)

So junk food consuming poor people have to pay more taxes to subsidize organic food eating yuppies?

Rasa1111
June 28th, 2011, 04:32 AM
No

I don't eat rubbish food

Some people have to eat 'rubbish food'.
and many, only if they are soo lucky.

I also try to eat the healthiest, most natural foods I can..
but Can not always afford to do so.

Many are not even that fortunate.

Think they don't feel bad enough trying to sustain themselves on cheap, mass produced, low nourishment noodles and chemical flavoring packets?

Think comments like yours makes them feel any better about it?
Empathy..
it's a good thing.
<3

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 04:37 AM
So junk food consuming poor people have to pay more taxes to subsidize organic food eating yuppies?

LOL! No! The price of junk food would go up and the price of healthy food would go down. Therefore, the poor wouldn't be forced to buy junk food as meals. They could afford to buy fresh fruits and veggies and organic meats instead.

Rasa1111
June 28th, 2011, 04:53 AM
LOL! No! The price of junk food would go up and the price of healthy food would go down. Therefore, the poor wouldn't be forced to buy junk food as meals. They could afford to buy fresh fruits and veggies and organic meats instead.

Yes.
Something we need to work towards. :KS

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Some people have to eat 'rubbish food'.
and many, only if they are soo lucky.

I also try to eat the healthiest, most natural foods I can..
but Can not always afford to do so.

Many are not even that fortunate.

Think they don't feel bad enough trying to sustain themselves on cheap, mass produced, low nourishment noodles and chemical flavoring packets?

Think comments like yours makes them feel any better about it?
Empathy..
it's a good thing.
<3

I made this post "They have little nutritional value. Would be better eating fruit or a couple of pieces of wholegrain bread with lettuce and tomato which would cost about the same and have vastly more nutritional value."

There is cheap healthy food alternatives to eating "rubbish food" . Eating rubbish food is also a false economy as you need to consume more of it to gain any form of sustenance and the health affects and subsequent medical bills make the cost higher than eating healthy alternatives.

Rasa1111
June 28th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I made this post "They have little nutritional value. Would be better eating fruit or a couple of pieces of wholegrain bread with lettuce and tomato which would cost about the same and have vastly more nutritional value."

There is cheap healthy food alternatives to eating "rubbish food" . Eating rubbish food is also a false economy as you need to consume more of it to gain any form of sustenance and the health affects and subsequent medical bills make the cost higher than eating healthy alternatives.

Ever spent any time in 'recent' america?
Fruit, wholegrain bread, lettuce, tomatoes..
and enough of that to sustain oneself everyday,
would most certainly not be "about the same cost".
Not even really close to it.
I realize that's not how it should be..
but that is how it is. Sadly.

I do agree with the rest though.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Ever spent any time in 'recent' america?
Fruit, wholegrain bread, lettuce, tomatoes..
and enough of that to sustain oneself everyday,
would most certainly not be "about the same cost".
Not even really close to it.
I realize that's not how it should be..
but that is how it is. Sadly.

I do agree with the rest though.

From memory Bread was around $2.00 a loaf, tomato's around $1.60 per pound, lettuce around 0.80c per pound. Eggs around $1.60 per dozen.

Please forgive me if I am wrong, age and memory do not mix.

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 05:30 AM
From memory Bread was around $2.00 a loaf, tomato's around $1.60 per pound, lettuce around 0.80c per pound. Eggs around $1.60 per dozen.

Please forgive me if I am wrong, age and memory do not mix.

You're correct about the prices but when you're down and out and you only have a dollar in your hand, you really have no choice but to buy what costs a dollar or less. I'd probably buy a pack of ramen noodles rather than a tomato. :(

Smilax
June 28th, 2011, 06:29 AM
They have little nutritional value. Would be better eating fruit or a couple of pieces of wholegrain bread with lettuce and tomato which would cost about the same and have vastly more nutritional value.

well, like i said, some people don't have a choice,

how much wholemeal bread with lettuce and tomato and fruit can you get for 0.17$

enough for a filling meal, don't think so.

so if you only have 0.17$ you would be better eating instant noodles.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2011, 06:35 AM
well, like i said, some people don't have a choice,

how much wholemeal bread with lettuce and tomato and fruit can you get for 0.17$

enough for a filling meal, don't think so.

so if you only have 0.17$ you would be better eating instant noodles.

If they only had 17c they would have the means to cook it. :rolleyes:

FlameReaper
June 28th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Instant noodles only contribute a little to properly satiate one's hunger, but it'll keep you going for a bit until you get proper meals with better resources.

It's also your run-of-the-mill popular food for part-timing bachelors who live on their own and keep themselves under a tight budget.

I don't know about other countries, but in mine there's this popular brand called "Maggi."

... It's popular enough for cheap restaurants to make dishes out of them. :lol:

Some people don't. True story.

I myself only cook my instant noodles with hot water, when in actuality you need more than that to make a proper serving.

And I get that from the dorm's public water dispenser (which has cold and hot water).

pjd99
June 28th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Yes. Not so much now that i'm not a full time student anymore.

Indomie - Mi Goreng

Best bang for buck in Australia, esp. if you get them by the box at your local Asian grocer.

5 sachets:
Oil
Chilli
Soy Sauce
Fried Onion flakes
Seasoning

p.s. I didn't see where the OP asked for nutritional information... Like cigarettes, everyone knows they're bad for you.

lucazade
June 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
"Instant noodles - Do you eat them?"

No I don't, I didn't know about them and luckily doesn't exist here.

We have tons of better food :)

haqking
June 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM
hell yeah i eat them.

When i was living in the US i loved the fact i could go to the nearby grocery store or Walmart and buy a tray of Ramen for next to nothing.

Now i am back in the UK i have to settle for supernoodles which are 10x the price and in my opinion not so good.

However there are not many nights that go by where i dont endulge myself in a Chicken & Mushroom Pot Noodle at around midnight, i can even see splash stains on my keyboard now as i type ;-)

Khakilang
June 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Over hear we have a wide range of instant noodle from different places. From Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Italy and local. But it had to be boil twice before adding the ingredient or else I get an upset stomach.

Smilax
June 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM

why is it so hard for you to accept that some people have no choice but to eat stuff like this. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

lucazade
June 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Over hear we have a wide range of instant noodle from different places. From Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Italy and local. But it had to be boil twice before adding the ingredient or else I get an upset stomach.

I really doubt you can find instant noodles produced here in Italy (maybe are available only in asiatic restaurants)

We are fond of pasta like spaghetti and maccheroni but no noodles :)
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elenco_dei_tipi_di_pasta

RiceMonster
June 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
No. I have in the past, but not any more. They're not filling at all and they have no nutritional value.

haqking
June 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
No. I have in the past, but not any more. They're not filling at all and they have no nutritional value.

ha i dont like to eat things that are filling, that way i get to eat more ;-) as for nutritional value, that means it tastes ggooooooooD ;-)

Grenage
June 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I've eaten them before, but only to see if they were as bad as I imagined. To be honest, in the time it takes a kettle to boil, I can chop and throw tofu and vegetables into a wok. After adding the boiling water to a pan with 'real' noodles, you're only 3-6 minutes away from a half decent meal.

rg4w
June 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM
You should try pemmican (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican). :)
Thanks for the suggestion, Craig, but I already have - and at least one bag is tossed in my pack on every trip. :) Good stuff, and while the salt may be a bit much for a daily diet it's quite good in the desert where I do most of my walks. Sometimes I'll even drop some in my ramen for a sort of makeshift stew.

RiceMonster
June 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM
ha i dont like to eat things that are filling, that way i get to eat more ;-) as for nutritional value, that means it tastes ggooooooooD ;-)

There's A LOT of healthy food that tastes good. I don't think instant noodles are that good anyway.

NightwishFan
June 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I have always wanted to make a ramen stand. ;) Only whatever we would make would be a lot nicer than 'instant noodles'.

Rasa1111
June 28th, 2011, 03:21 PM
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1926/whats-the-deal-with-ramen-noodles
interesting.. (kinda, but not really) lol :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1KAAfUVaI 'ramen factory'
O_o
gahh

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 04:42 PM
rg4w, I'll have to try that stew. I've never mixed the two before. :)

I've eaten them before, but only to see if they were as bad as I imagined. To be honest, in the time it takes a kettle to boil, I can chop and throw tofu and vegetables into a wok. After adding the boiling water to a pan with 'real' noodles, you're only 3-6 minutes away from a half decent meal.

I'm lazy. I'd rather get the ramen noodles with the bouillon, sesame oil, and dehydrated shrimp and veggies included. Then I throw it in the microwave.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1926/whats-the-deal-with-ramen-noodles
interesting.. (kinda, but not really) lol :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1KAAfUVaI 'ramen factory'
O_o
gahh

Instant ramen wasn't a big hit right away. In fact when it was first introduced in Japan, it was considered a luxury item, six times more expensive than the homemade noodles available in Japanese grocery stores.

beew
June 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
There are different brands, I like the made in China, Korea or Japan kind I get in the Chinese stores.

The ones from the Western super market sucks(a popular brand is called "Mr. Noodle" here in Canada)

May not be that nutritional but they are yummy and filling, I also like an easy to make steaming hot meal on cold days, it is more satisfying than cold sandwich and an apple .

beew
June 28th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I have always wanted to make a ramen stand. ;) Only whatever we would make would be a lot nicer than 'instant noodles'.

It would be illegal here in Toronto. :) You have to open a full blown restaurant, you can only sell hot dogs on the carts.

Remember a Japanese TV show where the guy was determined to be the best ramen chef and went through a lot to achieve that, including kidnapping and torturing the reigning ramen king to get his secret recipe. :)

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM
There are different brands, I like the made in China, Korea or Japan kind I get in the Chinese stores.

The ones from the Western super market sucks(a popular brand is called "Mr. Noodle" here in Canada)

May not be that nutritional but they are yummy and filling, I also like an easy to make steaming hot meal on cold days, it is more satisfying than cold sandwich and an apple .

The ones found at Asian markets are the best - much better than just the noodles and a flavor pack.

NightwishFan
June 28th, 2011, 05:07 PM
It would be illegal here in Toronto. :) You have to open a full blown restaurant, you can only sell hot dogs on the carts.
I would figure it out. :)

Remember a Japanese TV show where the guy was determined to be the best ramen chef and went through a lot to achieve that, including kidnapping and torturing the reigning ramen king to get his secret recipe. :)
I would do a live parody of that on opening day to get a huge crowd. ;) Secret Ramen Ninja Chef Alliance.

mips
June 28th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Not quite but close :)
http://www.ivanramen.com/top_en.html
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20080207f1.html

wolfen69
June 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
The only one I eat once in a while is the Maruchen Hot & Spicy Beef. Yum.

Maheriano
June 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I've never had them. I don't think they sell them where I grew up.

mips
June 28th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Canada?

mamamia88
June 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM
no offense but are we really this out of topics?

haqking
June 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM
no offense but are we really this out of topics?

That sounds like a new topic to me ;-)

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Should we start talking about bean noodles now?

rg4w
June 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
rg4w, I'll have to try that stew. I've never mixed the two before. :)
Be forewarned: while I'm usually a picky chef in the kitchen, in the backcountry after a long day of hiking darn near anything tastes really great. So your mileage may vary. :)

RiceMonster
June 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM

You're from Canada, so I'll assume you've heard of Mr. Noodles. That's one example.

johnnybgoode83
June 28th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Chow Mein flavour Batchelors super noodles on toast

beew
June 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM
You're from Canada, so I'll assume you've heard of Mr. Noodles. That's one example.

Mr. Noodle sucks though. I am sure Calgary has Asian stores. :)

chegarty
June 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I'm a college student, so I'm pretty familiar with ramen-ish instant noodles. I try to make them a little less unhealthy by not using the spice package that comes with the noodles. I usually use Maruchan because it's amazingly cheap. Instead, I cook the noodles as usual. I like to drain most of the water off. Then I improvise flavorings based on what I have. A few weeks ago I went to a Chinese food mart and got some white fungus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremella_fuciformis). It is essentially completely flavorless but has a really unique texture. So I mixed it with the ramen and cooked it a bit in some diluted tsuyu. I threw in some chopped green onions. It was pretty delicious, and will probably be remembered as my greatest culinary achievement.

uRock
June 28th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I eat them anytime I am broke and need a full stomach. The nearest Whole Foods store is more than ten miles and almost a half hour drive. Walmart and the other stores in my part of town usually have the one day left until expiration crap on their shelves. I rather spend $1.20 and have 5 meals and take vitamin supplements.

If I could ever break down and learn how to read/speak Spanish, then I could go to the Mexican grocery stores in my neighborhood who are said to have decent produce, but are also known for denying service to non-Spanish speaking customers.

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 07:00 PM
If I could ever break down and learn how to read/speak Spanish, then I could go to the Mexican grocery stores in my neighborhood who are said to have decent produce, but are also known for denying service to non-Spanish speaking customers.

That sounds illegal to me.

mips
June 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM

More like stupid business practice. A sale is money at the end of the day, can't see anybody passing up a sale.

Story sounds fishy to me.

uRock
June 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Nope. My state allows the right to deny service.

RiceMonster
June 28th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Ya but I'm from Newfoundland, it's 99.9% white people and we don't have much in the variety of foreign foods. There's nothing imported from Asia in the grocery stores so we just have regular pasta. I never heard of these packaged noodles until I moved away at 18.

Even excluding the fact that Mr. Noodles is a Canadian brand, I wouldn't call it "foreign" in the slightest.

KiwiNZ
June 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM
why is it so hard for you to accept that some people have no choice but to eat stuff like this. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because I didn't come down in the last shower.

Maheriano
June 28th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Even excluding the fact that Mr. Noodles is a Canadian brand, I wouldn't call it "foreign" in the slightest.

I just Googled it, we don't have Ramen Noodles but apparently we do have Mr. Noodle. Never seen it before though.

Smilax
June 28th, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilax http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10990054#post10990054)

Because I didn't come down in the last shower.

i don't get it man,

your statements seem to suggest you understand that some people can afford to eat well, while others can't afford 0.17$ for a meal,

while denying that there may be some people who can just afford a 0.17$ meal and also own a pot?

ehh,

uRock
June 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I believe Kiwi is pointing out that for a few day's rations @ 17 cent a day, you could buy a loaf of bread and a few fruits or veggies to go with it.

Bachstelze
June 28th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Hell, no. I'm with Kiwi on that one.

Gremlinzzz
June 28th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Yep,no problem i eat em.:D

Smilax
June 28th, 2011, 11:18 PM
really?

i though he was sayin that

ve4cib
June 28th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I'll eat maybe 1-2 packages per year at most. And I rarely pour the entire package of "flavour" (aka: salt) on them. I just can't take that much salt at once. I've found the "oriental" and "vegetable" flavours tend to be less salty than beef, chicken, or pork, so I'll usually opt for those if they're available.

I do carry a package of instant noodles with me when I'm out on a multi-day hiking trip. They're so light that I don't mind the extra weight, and they make a decent emergency "Ah! I'm stuck out in the woods for an extra day and have nothing else to eat for dinner besides some leftover peanuts and M&Ms" kind of emergency food. I've never had a trip go so catastrophically badly that I've needed the extra food, but it's good to have just in case, right?

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.ramenlicious.com/images/recipes/full/ramen-shrimp-salad.JPG

Name: Ramen shrimp salad
Category: Tasty and Healthy
Our rating: w1
Difficulty: Easy
Ready in: 45 minutes

You will need:
- 2 packages of ramen noodles
- 800 gr. of shrimps (cooked)
- 1 cup fish stock
- 2 small onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 small lemon
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of scallions
- 3 cups of water
- Salt and pepper

How to cook:
The noodles:
1. Put 4 cups of water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
2. Once the water is boiling add your ramen noodles.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes until the noodles are tender and separated.
4. Take off the water with the strainer.
The recipe:
5. Heat up the vegetable oil in a cooking pan.
6. Cook the shrimps until ready.
7. Take off the heat, add soy sauce and lemon juice on top.
8. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
9. In a bowl, put the onions, garlic, sugar, scallions, fish stock and 1 cup of water.
10. Heat up the cooking pan, add the shrimps and the fish stock mixture.
11. Cook until hot.
12. Enjoy!

Conclusion:
This recipe is a bit more expensive than what we usually feature on the website, but it's great sometime to pay ourselves a little treat, isn't it? The shrimps are delicious and the little vinaigrette actually gives a very good flavor to the ramen noodles, we might try to use it in other recipes!

http://www.ramenlicious.com/

mixint27
June 28th, 2011, 11:57 PM
We buy Maruchan.

I like to eat them with some Tapatio and lemon/lime. I like the chicken flavored one...

KiwiNZ
June 29th, 2011, 12:12 AM
really?

i though he was sayin that

my point is, whats the point of wasting the 17c on something you cannot cook.;)

KiwiNZ
June 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilax http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10990054#post10990054)

i don't get it man,

your statements seem to suggest you understand that some people can afford to eat well, while others can't afford 0.17$ for a meal,

while denying that there may be some people who can just afford a 0.17$ meal and also own a pot?

ehh,

I have witnessed extreme poverty and spent a great deal of time assisting those in that situation.

Smilax
June 29th, 2011, 12:24 AM
so, you do accept that this statement is wrong...

KiwiNZ
June 29th, 2011, 12:39 AM
so, you do accept that this statement is wrong...

it was rhetorical,

CraigPaleo
June 29th, 2011, 12:55 AM
my point is, whats the point of wasting the 17c on something you cannot cook.;)

Soaking it overnight will do the trick. :)

oldos2er
June 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hey CraigPaleo, thanks for the recipe. While I rarely eat Ramen noodles anymore, it's always interesting to see the creative things other people do with them.

When I have a craving for noodles, I go to a restaurant here called the Mongolian Grill. They have a buffet of raw fresh vegetables, meats, sauces, and noodles; you fill a bowl with what you want, take it up to the cook and they stir-fry it for you. Good eats, as they say.

zer010
June 29th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I don't eat them as often as I used to. I usually get the Maruchan packs. I used to like the cup type with dehydrated bits, but for some reason I don't care for them any more. I like most of the flavors except for chicken and shrimp/lime(too sour).

I usually just eat them as per microwave directions, but I've done several variations.
At one job, it was nearly impossible to access the microwaves and still have enough time to eat. So I would fill up my bowl with hot water and put the lid on about an hour before lunch. Come lunch time, they were ready to eat.

I've also mixed in stir-fried vegetables(bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, carrot), meat(beef, pork, shrimp) and added that to boiled noodles. I've also stir-fried the noodles themselves. I'll soak the noodles until they loosen up and then put them in a wok to finish them up.

After reading this thread, I'm getting hungry and I think I'm gonna make a quick bowl of noodles. ;)

uRock
June 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I only get the beef flavor, then use less than half a packet of flavoring with two noodle blocks, then I add cayenne pepper, black pepper and other seasonings. Dicing up ham, turkey or any other cold meat makes it more edible. I have not tried tuna and don't plan to.

Gremlinzzz
June 29th, 2011, 09:16 PM
they also have Quick cook pasta 3 minutes tried it was good:D.
http://ronzoni.newworldpasta.com/quickcook/

haqking
June 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM
i am eating a Pot Noodle right now...life is good ;-)

all i need is a plate of oreos and a glass of GM cow produced breast milk and i am all set ;-)

P.S i really hope everyone has read the other threads in the cafe or i am gonna look really weird ;-)

Rasa1111
June 29th, 2011, 09:57 PM
i am eating a Pot Noodle right now...life is good ;-)

all i need is a plate of oreos and a glass of GM cow produced breast milk and i am all set ;-)

P.S i really hope everyone has read the other threads in the cafe or i am gonna look really weird ;-)

hahaha!!!
:popcorn:

ScionicSpectre
June 29th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I get the noodles boiled, nice and stringy, then empty as much water as I can before adding the seasoning for optimum flavor retention.

Then I pour the searing, flavored water onto shredded cheddar cheese, and mix it all up so it's completely even across the surface of the noodles. Then I enjoy the most blissful moment I'll ever have with pure MSG in my mouth.

Khakilang
June 30th, 2011, 04:09 AM
They do sell here but know as spaghetti and they come straight in 1 packet instead of squeeze in 1 tiny square packet. Is spaghetti are also noodle? What is the different?

Timmer1240
June 30th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Once in a while but Im trying to eat better now so I stay away from them to much sodium in them.Now I try to go for vegetables fruits and yogurt things that are actually nutritional if I can and no junk foods I feel better than I did eating junk food!I used to drink smoke eat junkfood all the time those days are over my health was slipping away!

CraigPaleo
June 30th, 2011, 04:55 AM
They do sell here but know as spaghetti and they come straight in 1 packet instead of squeeze in 1 tiny square packet. Is spaghetti are also noodle? What is the different?

I'll take a stab at it. Spaghetti and other pastas are considered an Italian food and are generally heavier and more filling than Chinese noodles. Pastas can have different shapes and a variety of ingredients added such as tomato and spinach but are usually wheat-based.

Chinese noodles can be made of just about anything: wheat, beans, rice, and can be fried as chow mein is. The dried noodles for sale here are usually very light and less filling though the ones in restaurants can be heavier.

I don't know how else to describe the differences. Maybe this will help:

Chinese Noodles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_noodles)
Pasta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasta)

uRock
June 30th, 2011, 07:14 AM
There is a very big difference in consistency between the generic cheap stuff in Western stores compared to the ramen noodles I was served in S.Korean restaurants, though I preferred their rice.

CraigPaleo
June 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Was it sticky rice? I struggle to make loose western rice but I can make sticky rice without trying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong (right?).

t0p
June 30th, 2011, 08:11 AM
In Sainsbury's (UK supermarket) you can get a pack of their own-brand "Basics" instant noodles for about 12p I think. Or you can buy a Pot Noodle, basically the same trash but in a plastic pot!) for... oh I dunno, I'm not stupid enough to even care.

Fried potatoes are the best things to eat: pretty cheap if you don't mind cleaning off the dirt yourself, easy to cook, and because they're fried (in lard, preferably) your heart will shred itself ejecting from your chest. (Yum, shredded heart - just the right thing to eat with yer spuds.

CraigPaleo
June 30th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Skin the potatoes, slice them, soak them in balsamic vinegar and garlic salt. Divine!

ScionicSpectre
June 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
There's nothing like real cuisine. If we all ate REAL Asian food, we'd probably be far better off (health-wise) in the west. And well, it's delicious, too, so what are we waiting for? Hamburgers, your day is done. D:

Rasa1111
June 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
In Sainsbury's (UK supermarket) you can get a pack of their own-brand "Basics" instant noodles for about 12p I think. Or you can buy a Pot Noodle, basically the same trash but in a plastic pot!) for... oh I dunno, I'm not stupid enough to even care.

Fried potatoes are the best things to eat: pretty cheap if you don't mind cleaning off the dirt yourself, easy to cook, and because they're fried (in lard, preferably) your heart will shred itself ejecting from your chest. (Yum, shredded heart - just the right thing to eat with yer spuds.

lmaoo!!
:lolflag:=D>

uRock
June 30th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Was it sticky rice? I struggle to make loose western rice but I can make sticky rice without trying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong (right?).
The rice is supposed to be sticky so that you can eat it with sticks, which I perfected after consuming lots of Soju (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soju). Some of the more Americanized restaurants made it non-sticky to please the folks who can't handle change.

There's nothing like real cuisine. If we all ate REAL Asian food, we'd probably be far better off (health-wise) in the west. And well, it's delicious, too, so what are we waiting for? Hamburgers, your day is done. D:I like eating foods from all origins. It is nice to have a larger selection, though there are times where it is hard to decide what to cook and keep the portion sizes relevant to their origins.