PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 wont work with wireless

louisgonick
June 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I installed ubuntu about 3-4 days ago and everything goes fine. But I cannot connect to wireless with it, I have a Atheros AR5007 wifi adapter that works fine with windows. On ubuntu it tells the that wifi is turned off by hardware switch. How can I fix this?

grahammechanical
June 27th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Is this a laptop? Do you have to press a combination of keys on the keyboard to switch on the wireless adapter? If so then you need to do this as the operating system will not use the wireless adapter if it is switched off in hardware. What does the computer operating manual say about using wireless?

Also it is sometimes possible to switch off the wireless adapter in Windows. If you do this then Ubuntu cannot switch it back on. So, make sure that the wireless is working in Windows before you shutdown and then boot into Ubuntu.

ARe you running Ubuntu inside Windows or did you do an install alongside Windows? ARe you using Wubi to run Ubuntu? I will make difference to the advice that is given.

You may need to connect using an ethernet cable and then go to Additional Drivers to activate any addition drivers that are available. This may install a driver for your wireless adapter.

Regards.

louisgonick
June 27th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Is this a laptop? Do you have to press a combination of keys on the keyboard to switch on the wireless adapter? If so then you need to do this as the operating system will not use the wireless adapter if it is switched off in hardware. What does the computer operating manual say about using wireless?

Also it is sometimes possible to switch off the wireless adapter in Windows. If you do this then Ubuntu cannot switch it back on. So, make sure that the wireless is working in Windows before you shutdown and then boot into Ubuntu.

ARe you running Ubuntu inside Windows or did you do an install alongside Windows? ARe you using Wubi to run Ubuntu? I will make difference to the advice that is given.

You may need to connect using an ethernet cable and then go to Additional Drivers to activate any addition drivers that are available. This may install a driver for your wireless adapter.

Regards.

yes this is a laptop, the wireless switch is right next to the power button, I installed ubuntu from the cd, I dualboot. I don't use wubi. I dont have my laptop's manual around here because I bought it about 2 years ago, and I'm pretty sure it did not include instructions for using it in any other os than windows. When I use ubuntu I am basically stuck to my desk using an ethernet cable.