PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Make Enough Space / No Root File System

masaharustin
June 27th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hi,

I've been trying to install ubuntu 11.04 64 bit on a partition next to windows 7 64 bit. When I use the default option (no matter how large I make the partition) I get the error message that not enough space could be created. I read this could be solved by defragmenting the hard drive which I did, but the problem persists.

I next tried to partition manually but go the error message that there was "No root file system is denied" or something similar. Please help, I've never had this problem in the past.

Thanks,
Masaharustin

drs305
June 27th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Are you both selecting the partition and also designating the mount point as / ?

masaharustin
June 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
If by selecting the mount point you mean from the drop down box then yes. If not, then no. Also I need to make an ext4 partition right? Not leave it unallocated or anything like that?

Thanks,
Masaharustin

drs305
June 27th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I prefer making the partition(s) from the LiveCD using gparted and then beginning the installation process by clicking the 'Install' icon on the Desktop afterwards. I feel it gives me more control and less chance of the installer overwriting my existing OS's.

If you have already created the partition, you can opt to specify the partitions manually. You would then select the partition you created, and chose / as the mount point.

Herman's web site has an excellent graphical walkthrough of the entire procedure:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html

masaharustin
June 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks, I think I have it all figured out. I just don't understand why the default option didn't work, it's never happened in the past.

Thanks,
Masaharustin