PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Live USB will not boot/help with partitioning

fallenashes
June 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I used the official ubuntu instructions on how to create a Live USB, and when I reboot, it freezes on an underscore in the top right flashing on and off. All I am trying to do is partition my main hard drive because it shipped with 2 partitions. I tried a Gparted Live USB as well and it is stuck at the splash screen. How do I make a live USB to succesfully boot so I can edit my partition?

notes:
- Computer: Asus U35JC
- Cannot Change boot order, have to boot into bios and select 'Cruzer....' option to boot from USB
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
- no optical drive

(Cross posted from Asus section of forums)

nzjethro
June 27th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Did you create a Live USB using unetbootin? It may be a bad download. What is the size of your Ubuntu .iso file?

fallenashes
June 27th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Did you create a Live USB using unetbootin? It may be a bad download. What is the size of your Ubuntu .iso file?

No I used Universal USB installer, recommended by ubuntu.com themselves, and the .iso has the correct md5 hash, so I'm sure its not corrupted. But I'll try unetbootin now. Thanks for the response.

mrgs
June 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
A flashing underscore is not necessarily a bad sign. For how long did you wait?

fallenashes
June 27th, 2011, 04:30 PM
A flashing underscore is not necessarily a bad sign. For how long did you wait?

2 minutes tops. I'll wait, say 15 or 20 minutes just to be sure. And unetbootin did not work. Should I try an older distro, like the last LTS?

fallenashes
June 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Solved! It was the USB stick, tried another and it worked!