PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Based on Ubuntu

Geffers
June 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
There are a number of distros around that describe themselves as 'based on Ubuntu', Mint being the most popular.

I might have my terminology wrong here but shouldn't mint and other distros be best described as based on Debian rather than Ubuntu.

Geffers

jerrrys
June 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM
never really checked that out, but what i found interesting was how much of RedHat in in ours.

snowpine
June 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Mint actually has two versions; one based on Ubuntu and one based on Debian.

A quick way to check which one you have is:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

If you see Debian repos then the distro is Debian-based; if you see Ubuntu repos then it's Ubuntu-based.

Geffers
June 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM
never really checked that out, but what i found interesting was how much of RedHat in in ours.

When you say 'Redhat' in ours how do you assess that, I thought redhat and fedora used a different packaging system to Ubuntu.

Geffers

jerrrys
June 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM
just an article i read a while back. and probably better to say fedora than redhat.

and yes different package system, but easy to change with something like 'alien'

jvgeli
July 8th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I agree with the poster if you see it logically as A=B and B=C therefore A=C but its not the case here. Ubuntu forked from Debian and there have been changes along the way. Technically although Ubuntu was based on Debian its current state is somewhat diferrent now.

Red Hat thing is also true. Ubuntu is the "popular distro" but in terms of contribution to the Kernel and codes Red Hat is making the most progress. Look at some if not most applications and kernel modules, they are actually written by Red Hat or Novell to name a few. That is why there were some issues in the past year between Red Hat and Ubuntu users. To me its all the same, we are aiming for the same thing but I can say this, Ubuntu is making the most progress in gettig Linux to the living room and red hat is making Linux work better and faster. When they work together its a dream team.