PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Problem with Installing Deb files

nmoyefelix
June 26th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hi, I am a Newbie, I downloaded repositories offline and tried install. I was directed to a install.sh file and to run in the installer. Please how do I go about it? Am I to copy it in the Terminal?

Enigmapond
June 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM
If you are attempting to install a .deb file, just click on it and it will automatically install. Sounds as if you are trying to install from a tarball...can you be more specific?

PS Welcome to the forum..:)

nmoyefelix
June 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM
If you are attempting to install a .deb file, just click on it and it will automatically install. Sounds as if you are trying to install from a tarball...can you be more specific?

PS Welcome to the forum..:)

You are right, its a tarball, I double clicked it and got it a folder, a file named "install.sh" and a readme.txt. The readme says I should unpack/extract, thann, it says select "run in terminal". This is the problem. How do I run in terminal? Thanks

Enigmapond
June 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Right so, extract it to a directory and then in the terminal, navigate to the directory and do:

sudo ./install.sh

That should do it providing you have the necessary programmes to compile.

nmoyefelix
June 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Right so, extract it to a directory and then in the terminal, navigate to the directory and do:

sudo ./install.sh

That should do it providing you have the necessary programmes to compile.

Thanks, it worked like magic.:D

Enigmapond
June 27th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Cool...Glad to help. You should mark the thread as solved, in the Thread Tools on top.

Happy Linuxing...:)