PDA

View Full Version : Silly Libre/OpenOffice design question

t1497f35
June 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hi,
What do you people think,
why does Open/LibreOffice have a tripple A letter for Bold, Italic and Underline while all other software that I'm aware of (ms office, even the form of this forum) feature the more intuitive approach: the corresponding B, I, U letters.

Is it like OpenOffice/LibreOffice thought like "hey let's do this thing contrary to what people are used to for the sake of being different".

It's not a rant, I'm just curious, where's the study based upon they decided to change this..

Linux_junkie
June 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Does it really matter what letter is used along as the image on the button indicates what it is used for?

Tibuda
June 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
because english is not the only language out there.

pt123
June 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
because english is not the only language out there.

But since you are using A, it doesn't matter. More people are used to the B,I, U. Likewise with Ubuntu being written in English.

Readability wise having 3 As is silly. The Libreoffice I am using the old version (3.3 as there is no PPA for 3.4) uses B I U.

Legendary_Bibo
June 27th, 2011, 07:54 AM
You can change the images if you'd like.

Alwimo
June 27th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Abiword also uses three As.

darkdawn
June 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM
The 3 A's aren't really the problem, i don't care even if they put 3 B's there, i would like for Libre office to add more features and concentrate on usability,

sanderd17
June 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
In word it used to be B, I and U, but I remember from openoffice.org that they used V, C and O (vet, cursief and onderlijnen, in Dutch).

I don't really care about the letters though.

Tibuda
June 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
But since you are using A, it doesn't matter.
That's the idea.

Likewise with Ubuntu being written in English.
No, Ubuntu is multi language.

Readability wise having 3 As is silly.
It is?

The Libreoffice I am using the old version (3.3 as there is no PPA for 3.4) uses B I U.

Official .deb file here: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
You should unistall the version from the repository/ppa before doing this.

grahammechanical
June 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM
You are being shown a visual example of how the character (letter of the alphabet) will look if the option is selected. They are using the first letter of the English alphabet as the example.

How many languages actually have an alphabet? How many are using the Latin alphabet because the language did not have a written form until English speakers invented and alphabet for the language?

Anyway, I still use Ctrl+b = Bold, Ctrl+i= intalic, Ctrl+u= underline, Ctrl+s= save, Ctrl+c=copy, Ctrl+v= paste and Crtl+x= cut. This dates back to the old days before the WIMP interface and WYSIWYG on screen formatting.

Regards.

cgroza
June 27th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Likewise with Ubuntu being written in English.

Ubuntu is a name, it is not even an English name.