PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu installation size

ktp.kti
June 26th, 2011, 07:18 AM
What installation size should i select during ubuntu installation? I am given options ranging from 3GB to 15GB (default).

I want to install ubuntu within my windows 7 in the C drive. I will use the D drive for all storage purposes. So i want only the necessary system files of ubuntu be installed. I dont want it to allot space for documents/libraries.

I want to select an installation size which will not compromise the speed of ubuntu.

I tried to find answer for this by doing an extensive search, but couldn't. Please advise.

I feel that the ubuntu installation guide in its website (although quite good) needs some improvement to explain all steps during installation for new users like me.

jerrrys
June 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
10G should give you room enough for any apps you would want to install. thats the size i use on my test box...

Frogs Hair
June 26th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I want to install ubuntu within my windows 7 in the C drive. I will use the D drive for all storage purposes.

Wubi or Traditional dual boot ? I tend to check the official system requirements and not someones opinion about what you can get away with.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

jerrrys
June 26th, 2011, 02:45 PM
deleted

Frogs Hair
June 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
i rather answer a simple question then give someone two hours of reading

I was not referring to your answer , as the op stated there are many opinions about system requirements .

ktp.kti
June 28th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Is the installation size separate for wubi and dual boot! I never knew that! If so, what is the recommended installation size for both of them?

ktp.kti
June 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Is the installation size separate for wubi and dual boot! I never knew that! If so, what is the recommended installation size for both of them?

Sorry for sounding so dumb!

After fiddling around some more, i found these:
1)For a separate partition installation (with windows dual boot), 2GB is quite good for the swap partition and 20 GB is more than enough for the / partition (suits my 2GB RAM and ~200GB free hard disk space).

2)And i think that 10-15GB is quite good for a wubi installation.