PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fixing Boot Menu

Cadillac.Cowboy
June 26th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Last night I installed the Ubuntu run-as-a-program (Windows Installer) thing but, having used Ubuntu in the past and recently moved all my data to a separate NAS (network attached storage) server, I instead opted for a dual-boot installation in the traditional sense... At this point, I un-installed the Unbuntu "program" and installed Ubuntu the traditional way, configuring my system to dual-boot with Microsoft's Windows Vista: Home Premium.

The problem is, I now have two boot menus, one that refers to the "traditional" Ubuntu installation and one that refers to the (now un-installed) Ubuntu-as-a-program (Unbuntu Installer) thing!

1st Boot Screen (not actual wording)
* Windows Vista
* Ubuntu
* All of the other login options normally installed with Linux

If I click Ubuntu, I go straight to my Ubuntu installation, but if I click the Windows Vista option, I am taken to a second boot screen...

2nd Boot Screen (not actual wording)
* Windows Vista
* Ubuntu

This second boot screen was previously used to select the Ubuntu-as-a-program (Unbuntu Installer) thing, prior to un-installing it...

Any ideas on how to get rid of this second boot screen, so that when I click "Windows Vista", it goes straight to Windows Vista (which is what would normally happen with a "traditional" Linux installation)?

drs305
June 26th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I'm not a Windows user but I did have this link by a user that needed to do the same thing (Post #5)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6537402&postcount=5

If it works, please mark the thread SOLVED via the 'Thread Tools' link at the top right of the first post. If it doesn't, post back and someone will provide better instructions. ;-)

Cadillac.Cowboy
June 26th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Worked a charm, thanks!