PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new Youtube Player?

trizrK
June 26th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Do you like it or not?
Pic attachedhttp://ubuntuforums.org/home/bk/Pictures/Screenshoted.png

Primefalcon
June 26th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Do you like it or not?
Pic attachedhttp://ubuntuforums.org/home/bk/Pictures/Screenshoted.png
I went to youtube and it looks the same to me! where did you see the the one yo have n the pic?

doorknob60
June 26th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Mine still looks the same. From the picture though, it looks nice, better matches my GTK theme :P

tgalati4
June 26th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Isn't it just an HTML5 embedded player? I use it on archive.org to listen to live concerts. It's nice in that on Chrome, html5 runs with less resources than that pig called flash.

Khakilang
June 26th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Same old player. Where did get the new player? It look better.

ScionicSpectre
June 26th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Oh baby, yeah. It'll make it look a bit more in-line with the mobile application, too. I am wary of how it will look on videos with very light colors, though, since it won't blend in too well unless they make the webpages black.

So, from a UI design perspective, it's probably not such a smart idea unless they accommodate it somehow. Of course, if their idea is that the controls should stand out, that's another issue.

CraigPaleo
June 26th, 2011, 07:24 AM
It looks the same to me but I have seen some plug-ins change the look of it. FlashVideoReplacer is one.

hakermania
June 26th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Isn't it just an HTML5 embedded player? I use it on archive.org to listen to live concerts. It's nice in that on Chrome, html5 runs with less resources than that pig called flash.

+1 big fat pig

Primefalcon
June 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I tried the html5 player and it looks the same as always, just on note youtube's html5 sucks worse than even flash!

trizrK
June 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Hmm, i think i enabled it from youtube.com/html5

Robin_216
June 26th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Mine also looks like the new player, don't know why though

Copper Bezel
June 26th, 2011, 08:32 AM
And mine still looks the same as ever. The only differences with the HTML5 player I experience are that it seems less laggy*, the "full screen" button expands to the window boundary instead, and there's no "suggestions" screen at the end of a video. The new behavior of the fullscreen feature is sufficient to make it preferable to me, but I like very much the cleaner look of the one you capped.

* Highly questionable, as YouTube never really lagged for me and I just switched browsers before opting into the trial.

Robin_216
June 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Now that i turned html5 on again it changed the look back to normal.
So the new look player (btw its transparent not black) only seems to work on the flash version.

Copper Bezel
June 26th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Switching back to Flash changed nothing for me. I imagine it's something like an update just rolling out gradually for both versions, apparently asymmetrically, by IP address and such as individual servers flip over. It's not remotely the first time a new Google feature has needed to do so.

CraigPaleo
June 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I tried the html5 player and it looks the same as always, just on note youtube's html5 sucks worse than even flash!

Are you serious? How does it suck worse than Flash for you?

Primefalcon
June 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Are you serious? How does it suck worse than Flash for you?
its jumpy and laggy as hell (like stop motion)

CraigPaleo
June 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
And mine still looks the same as ever. The only differences with the HTML5 player I experience are that it seems less laggy*, the "full screen" button expands to the window boundary instead, and there's no "suggestions" screen at the end of a video. The new behavior of the fullscreen feature is sufficient to make it preferable to me, but I like very much the cleaner look of the one you capped.

* Highly questionable, as YouTube never really lagged for me and I just switched browsers before opting into the trial.

its jumpy and laggy as hell (like stop motion)

I haven't noticed the lag but you do have to go full-screen with your browser as well if you want to view the video in full-screen. Bummer.

lovinglinux
June 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Switching back to Flash changed nothing for me. I imagine it's something like an update just rolling out gradually for both versions, apparently asymmetrically, by IP address and such as individual servers flip over. It's not remotely the first time a new Google feature has needed to do so.

Indeed they must be rolling out gradually for some users. Mine is still the old one.

Anyone who has the new player could do me a favour and test FlashVideoReplacer (http://www.webgapps.org/add-ons/flashvideoreplacer), then report if it still works? Those kind of changes tend to break my extension.

trizrK
June 28th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Indeed they must be rolling out gradually for some users. Mine is still the old one.

I think thats what they're doing. Thats how it worked for the last one.

lovinglinux
June 28th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I think thats what they're doing. Thats how it worked for the last one.

I hope they don't mess things too much, otherwise I will have a lot of work to do.

CraigPaleo
June 28th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I hope they don't mess things too much, otherwise I will have a lot of work to do.

You're plug-in works fine for me. :D The reason I thought the theme was changed if someone was using a plug-in was that your plug-in causes Firefox to use the Movie Player plug-in, which uses the system theme.

Also, Kudos for your plug-in going full-screen without having to full-screen your browser! ;)

lovinglinux
June 28th, 2011, 03:56 AM
You're plug-in works fine for me. :D The reason I thought the theme was changed if someone was using a plug-in was that your plug-in causes Firefox to use the Movie Player plug-in, which uses the system theme.

Also, Kudos for your plug-in going full-screen without having to full-screen your browser! ;)

Thanks a lot. That's reassuring. I guess they changed only the player theme then.

Cheers

trizrK
June 30th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hmm,
they seemed to have changed it again.. They reduced the transparency and slightly modified the icons.
Pic attached