PDA

View Full Version : Processor Hell

ClientAlive
June 25th, 2011, 10:47 PM
It was as though hell itself had opened beneath me. I saw flames sping-up all round about me. The fire burned and there was moaning and wailing and gnashing of teeth! As I beheld my poor, poor little processor, it tiny little pins ALL-BENT-TO-HELL!

Very tough lesson learned:

Be very, very careful when inserting or removing a processor from a mother #######. The grease will make the cooling fin unit stick to the top of it and you will be sorry - if you don't be extremely careful.

1 computer! . . . to the landfill.

Not really, still has the rest of it but I'm screwed on the processor I guess. Can't see straightening that out.

tgalati4
June 25th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Unless the pins are broken off, you can straighten them with a thin plastic knife. To avoid damnation, you need to take other steps.

tgm4883
June 25th, 2011, 11:49 PM
It was as though hell itself had opened beneath me. I saw flames sping-up all round about me. The fire burned and there was moaning and wailing and gnashing of teeth! As I beheld my poor, poor little processor, it tiny little pins ALL-BENT-TO-HELL!

Very tough lesson learned:

Be very, very careful when inserting or removing a processor from a mother #######. The grease will make the cooling fin unit stick to the top of it and you will be sorry - if you don't be extremely careful.

1 computer! . . . to the landfill.

Not really, still has the rest of it but I'm screwed on the processor I guess. Can't see straightening that out.

Rule of thumb, when inserting a processor if it doesn't fall into the holes and requires you to push it in using force you are doing it wrong.

(note, this doesn't account for the very old slot1(slotA) processors.

ClientAlive
June 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Unless the pins are broken off, you can straighten them with a thin plastic knife. To avoid damnation, you need to take other steps.

Thanks man. I was wondering about that. I'll sure giver er' the ol' college try.

Rule of thumb, when inserting a processor if it doesn't fall into the holes and requires you to push it in using force you are doing it wrong.

(note, this doesn't account for the very old slot1(slotA) processors.

I know I posted in Community Cafe and I never intended to look for support but I do sure appreciate the advice. Really I was just trying to heal. I thought sharing would facilitate my recovery.

Now get ready to laugh you butt off.

The CPU in question is an AMD Athalon64 3400 made in like 2001. Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't gather that an old unit like this would be worth much to most. For me though, it's all I have - and there are so many things I want to learn and do that I need that second computer for.

I'm gonna try the knife trick but I think I'll try and get my hands on a very powerful magnifier first so I can see the little things well enough.

Thanks for humoring me guys.

Have a great weekend.

Jake

3Miro
June 26th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I had this problem once. I removed a CPU, it was stuck and I wasn't even trying to be careful. I didn't expect to use the CPU anymore, but a few months later I changed my mind. Needless to say, many of the pins were slightly bend. I had to use some plastics to straighten them out, but it worked well. You just need to be very careful and if the CPU doesn't fit the socket, look at the pins don't try to force it.

I am using the CPU now for a file server, it works line new.

PS I did this on an AMD AM2 CPU. I think new Intel models have even smaller pins, so might you have to be even more careful and more gentle.

tgalati4
June 26th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Old works in your favor in this case--the pins are thicker.

Khakilang
June 26th, 2011, 06:32 AM
It did happen to me once. When I took out the CPU fan the processor stuck at the bottom of the heat sink and that make it totally useless.

YeOK
June 26th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Back when I used to build PC's I had to sort bent pins a lot. I just used a stanley knife blade. Its easy enough, just remember not to force the CPU back in, if it won't fit you probably still have a bent pin or two.

Paqman
June 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
It did happen to me once. When I took out the CPU fan the processor stuck at the bottom of the heat sink and that make it totally useless.

I've had this. If you grip the CPU by the edges and twist firmly but carefully you should be able to free it up. Obviously don't try and lever it off, you'll put too much bending force on it, and you might scratch the bottom of the heat sink if you slip.

3rdalbum
June 26th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Buy Intel CPUs - they don't have pins, so you can't bend them.

TheLions
June 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13500000/O-Rly-owls-13509350-282-282.jpg

Lucradia
June 26th, 2011, 12:52 PM
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13500000/O-Rly-owls-13509350-282-282.jpg

yarly: http://worldperfectpc.blogspot.com/2008/10/installing-intel-processor-socket-775.html

The new LGA Sockets are pin-less on the CPU. However, on the socket itself, the pins are there. Maybe the AM4 Socket will do the same, would relieve a ton of headaches.

koleoptero
June 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Happened to me once, on my main computer too. I straightened the pins and it worked just fine. It was actually still working until some months ago (a p3 733mhz, bought in 2000). And the thing that gave up was the motherboard.

3Miro
June 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM

In case someone does't get the joke:

LGA 1155 has 1155 protruding pins...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

Lucradia
June 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM

I still don't get the joke. :|

3Miro
June 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I still don't get the joke. :|

Intel uses pins just like AMD. Here is an enlarged picture of the pins. I don't know if the article is right about the issues that the CPUs have, but the picture clearly shows that they have pins.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/LGA-1155-Sandy-Bridge-Motherboard-Socket-Pins-Get-Burned-Out-178520.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/LGA-1155-Sandy-Bridge-Motherboard-Socket-Pins-Get-Burned-Out-3.jpg/

Bandit
June 26th, 2011, 03:16 PM
yarly: http://worldperfectpc.blogspot.com/2008/10/installing-intel-processor-socket-775.html

The new LGA Sockets are pin-less on the CPU. However, on the socket itself, the pins are there. Maybe the AM4 Socket will do the same, would relieve a ton of headaches.

Yea LGA = Land Grid Array, pins are in the socket not the chip. Actually one of my most intuitive things Intel has done in a long time.
Really hope AMD follows this as well.

walt.smith1960
June 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Socket A processor? I'll bet you can pick up a pulled(used) replacement for <$10.

ClientAlive
June 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Happened to me once, on my main computer too. I straightened the pins and it worked just fine. It was actually still working until some months ago (a p3 733mhz, bought in 2000). And the thing that gave up was the motherboard.

The reason I took this computer apart in the first place was I thought the mobo was bad. It worked fine under Winoze XP but when I went to put Linux on it I went through about 5 diff disros (inluding 2 releases of Ubuntu) and none of them would install. Someone with more exper looked at the output I was getting and advised me the mobo was bad. I went with their advice and pulled the thing apart thinking I'd replace it later. Now, lately, I got to thinking maybe that was wrong and I'd try to fire it up and just try to install again. Maybe by some miracle things would be different this time. We'll find out I guess.
--------------------------

Edit:

kalemera philos. Ese kala;

Edit 2:

Socket A processor? I'll bet you can pick up a pulled(used) replacement for <$10.

Before some research this morn I wasn't sure what the socket. Now, I think, it's a 939?

The spec page on hp's site has a pic of the mobo that looks almost identical but the chips (like the southbridge chip) are not quite identical. It's the same model but maybe the one I have is older or newer than what's in the spec sheet. I don't know.
-----------------------

Edit 3:

I brought it up but didn't include the link. Sorry.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=42878&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1843604

forrestcupp
June 26th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Before some research this morn I wasn't sure what the socket. Now, I think, it's a 939?

That sounds right. I had a few old AMD Athlon64s back in the day. I think they were 939.

koleoptero
June 26th, 2011, 09:12 PM

Edit:

kalemera philos. Ese kala;

Eh kalemera :D

wolfen69
June 26th, 2011, 09:42 PM
The CPU in question is an AMD Athalon64 3400 made in like 2001.

Release date was 2004. It's still a decent cpu for basic things.

ClientAlive
June 26th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Holy Shnoikies!! I got er'. I can't believe it! I didn't think you could straighten something like that out! So it fires up, now we'll see if the other hardware is ok and I can install Linux.

Thanks for straightening me out on straightening those pins out fellas.

:popcorn:

CraigPaleo
June 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Not many processors have been to hell and back. I bet it won't do it again! ;)

Brent0
June 26th, 2011, 11:15 PM
You can fix a processor even if the pin breaks off by placing it into the socket and then putting the CPU on top. Here is a video of this in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA

tgalati4
June 27th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Well, at least you didn't set your motherboard on fire before attempting to repair your CPU. That's good to hear that you got it working.

Bandit
June 27th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Release date was 2004. It's still a decent cpu for basic things.

Heck yea.. Should run Ubuntu like a champ. I had a 3000+ and it was tight..

ClientAlive
June 27th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Not many processors have been to hell and back. I bet it won't do it again! ;)

LMFAO!

Well, at least you didn't set your motherboard on fire before attempting to repair your CPU. That's good to hear that you got it working.

I found this really, really cool, err . . . set of tuols. It's called Ultimate Boot CD. It's chock full of goodies and runs live. Even has clonezilla and partition magic on it (among many other things). Neatest little CD I ever burned!

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

:popcorn:

tgalati4
June 27th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I use it all the time. A must to carry in your toolkit.

Dustin2128
June 27th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Yea LGA = Land Grid Array, pins are in the socket not the chip. Actually one of my most intuitive things Intel has done in a long time.
Really hope AMD follows this as well.
I've read that they did that to stop people from breaking off a pin or two to make processors compatible with sockets they weren't designed for ;).

ClientAlive
June 27th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I've read that they did that to stop people from breaking off a pin or two to make processors compatible with sockets they weren't designed for ;).

Well what are the pins for then anyway? Just to transfer power to the thing? If they transfer data I don't see how you can break a couple off, deliberately, and still have a functional unit. Weird!

koleoptero
June 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Good thing you got it fixed. At least this CPU knows you love it now. LOL

Nyromith
June 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Well what are the pins for then anyway? Just to transfer power to the thing? If they transfer data I don't see how you can break a couple off, deliberately, and still have a functional unit. Weird!

CPUs are smart creatures. They may find another method of communication if the natural one doesn't function correctly.

3rdalbum
June 27th, 2011, 11:41 AM

The CPU doesn't have pins, the socket does - but it's much more difficult to bend pins in a socket than it is to bend them on a CPU.

tgm4883
June 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM

That sounds iffy at best.

For starters, as a previous posts says there would be data/power issues. But probably more important in debunking that statement is that there is now nothing on the processor that prevents it from being placed in a socket (aside from the actual shape)

mips
June 27th, 2011, 05:27 PM
That sounds iffy at best.

In times past that did indeed occur if I recall correctly.

VanR
June 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
If you are going to remove a CPU always run the computer for 5 minutes or so to loosen up the thermal paste. Then the Heat Sink/Fan should lift right off without pulling the CPU out. Once you unlock it of course.