PDA

View Full Version : Are you a native speaker of English?

PCaddicted
June 25th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Classified.

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Nope. My native language is Portuguese.

silex89
June 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM
My native language is Spanish! :D

NovaAesa
June 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Bred and borne in Oz, so my native language is English.

mips
June 25th, 2011, 06:26 PM
No, but my mother tongue is worse than my Engrish ;)

pratikk
June 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM
That's two questions. Yes to both. I am a dreadful heathen native and I speak English. Blimey, I even type in it. Delightfully, archaically, as you see. :)

sanderd17
June 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Nope, I speak Dutch, well, West-Flemish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Flemish) to be exactly. People from other parts of the Netherlands or Flanders don't understand me when I talk to family :D

moma
June 25th, 2011, 07:05 PM
No. I speak Norwegian and Finnish (and Portuguese more and more).

koleoptero
June 25th, 2011, 07:21 PM
What's the "classified"?

Ric_NYC
June 25th, 2011, 07:21 PM
No. I speak Norwegian and Finnish (and Portuguese more and more).

Como aprendeu/aprendestes?
:)

mips
June 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Nope, I speak Dutch, well, West-Flemish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Flemish) to be exactly. People from other parts of the Netherlands or Flanders don't understand me when I talk to family :D

I find that a bit hard to believe. I don't speak Dutch or Flemish but I have a friend in Belgium and I can understand a lot of what she says as long as she does not speak to fast. Reading is even easier. Maybe she is from the west, can't remember where she lives, will have to check with her so I'm probably wrong with my assumptions.

moma
June 25th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Ric_NYC:
Sou falante nativo do finlandês e norueguês. E eu estudei português no Oslo e em Lisboa. A linguagem do meu coração ;-) como Fado.

Ric_NYC
June 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Ric_NYC:
Sou falante nativo do finlandês e norueguês. E eu estudei português no Oslo e em Lisboa. A linguagem do meu coração ;-) como Fado.

Valeu! ;)

odiseo77
June 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM
English is my second language (my first language is Spanish).

blueturtl
June 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Are you a native English speaker or a native speaker of English?
English speakers vs. speakers of English.

No, but the latter sounds kind of funny to me.

Could a native speaker point out if there is anything odd about that phrasing?

koenn
June 25th, 2011, 07:57 PM

it's some sort of speaking disorder, then ?

pbpersson
June 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I am from Chicago and have been told I speak Chicagoese. :)

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I find that a bit hard to believe. I don't speak Dutch or Flemish but I have a friend in Belgium and I can understand a lot of what she says as long as she does not speak to fast. Reading is even easier. Maybe she is from the west, can't remember where she lives, will have to check with her so I'm probably wrong with my assumptions.

I went to Azores, where they speak Portuguese and I couldn't understand most of what they were talking. Seriously, I had a hard time communicating there. I could understand the Portuguese in Lisboa, but not in the Azores. It was kind of embarrassing.

koenn
June 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Well, it's true, sort of.
It's true of most regional dialects in Belgium (but then, that's the case in most languages). but West-Flemish is a bit of a special case - their vocabulary, syntax and accent is often very different from other Flemish dialects. This might be due to a left-over mediaval influence from West-Frysian, which once was spoken all along the North Sea coast.

I remember a song in West-Flemish that they used to play on the radio - I had heard it several times before I even realised it was Flemish, I kept thinking it was some weird Englisdh dialect I just couldn't get.

odiseo77
June 25th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I went to Azores, where they speak Portuguese and I couldn't understand most of what they were talking. Seriously, I had a hard time communicating there. I could understand the Portuguese in Lisboa, but not in the Azores. It was kind of embarrassing.

I experience something similar when I watch some films from Spain (not all of them, only a few where the pronunciation is very tight).
As for Portuguese, I can understand partially the brazilian Portuguese, but the portuguese from Portugal is very hard since, it's pronounced very tight with low emphasis on vowels (or so it seems to my ear) :)

mips
June 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I remember a song in West-Flemish that they used to play on the radio - I had heard it several times before I even realised it was Flemish, I kept thinking it was some weird Englisdh dialect I just couldn't get.

Got a link to that song or some other sound bytes by any chance, would love to listen to the dialect.

If we had to communicate in our native tongues right now via writing you would get 99% of what I was typing. Most find our double negative comical though ;)

koenn
June 25th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Got a link to that song or some other sound bytes by any chance, would love to listen to the dialect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxco3evmy6c

If we had to communicate in our native tongues right now via writing you would get 99% of what I was typing. Most find our double negative comical though ;)
yeah, I know. but it's easier in writing because the word boundaries are obvious.

There's a small chance you understand our dialects even better, because dialects have often kept older vocabulary, syntax or idioms that are not present in standard Dutch.

Dustin2128
June 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM
My native language is Dustin2128 assembly.

PCaddicted
June 25th, 2011, 08:55 PM
What's the "classified"?
It means "secret" . This option is for those who don't want to tell other users whether their native language is English or not.

TeoBigusGeekus
June 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Μυ νατιβε λανγυαγε ισ γρεεκ.

PCaddicted
June 25th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Greek?

el_koraco
June 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
No, but I have a degree in English. And German.

Ric_NYC
June 25th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I experience something similar when I watch some films from Spain (not all of them, only a few where the pronunciation is very tight).
As for Portuguese, I can understand partially the brazilian Portuguese, but the portuguese from Portugal is very hard since, it's pronounced very tight with low emphasis on vowels (or so it seems to my ear) :)

They speak fast and skip some vowels...

The word "potato" in Brazil is: batata. In Portugal it is: b'tata.

koenn
June 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Greek?
yes,
but the post is actually English, transliterated to Greek characters

koleoptero
June 25th, 2011, 09:12 PM

Ιτ γούλντ χαβ μπην μορ φαν ιφ γιου τζάστ τάιπ λάηκ γιού προνάουνς ιτ.

TeoBigusGeekus
June 25th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Ιτ γούλντ χαβ μπην μορ φαν ιφ γιου τζάστ τάιπ λάηκ γιού προνάουνς ιτ.

I know, but I gave english speakers a chance to understand it.
Ah, well...

TeoBigusGeekus
June 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Greek?

My native language is greek.

coffeecat
June 25th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Are you a native English speaker or a native speaker of English?
English speakers vs. speakers of English.

No, but the latter sounds kind of funny to me.

Could a native speaker point out if there is anything odd about that phrasing?

As a native of England, of (mostly) English ancestry, I'll try to rise to the challenge.

Interesting one. I believe they are both correct, but if I were to make a choice I would say that "native speaker of English" is the better usage. Even if it sounds funny in Finland! :wink:

My reason? The first is ambiguous, since it could be taken to mean a native speaker who happens to be English (nationality), rather than a native speaker of the English language. It's all down to timing:

"native-English...... speaker" = a native of England who speaks English.
"native..... English-speaker" = a native speaker of English.

There you are - "native speaker of English" is unambiguous. That's what I'll vote for. :)

odiseo77
June 25th, 2011, 11:16 PM
They speak fast and skip some vowels...

The word "potato" in Brazil is: batata. In Portugal it is: b'tata.

Yes, that's the perception I have, too :)

Thewhistlingwind
June 25th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Yes.

US here.

Quadunit404
June 26th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Yes, I have spoken English all throughout my life.

ibrrfarr
June 26th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Yup, I speak the English. However, I guess here in Tennessee it would qualify as hillbilly! :)

Linuxratty
June 26th, 2011, 01:40 AM
English. I wish I was bilingual ,but alas,I'm not. C'est la vie.

dearingj
June 26th, 2011, 01:51 AM
US of A here, and I agree with coffeecat that "native speaker of English" is less ambiguous than "native English speaker".

angry_johnnie
June 26th, 2011, 02:20 AM
nope. Spanish.

ilovelinux33467
June 26th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Yes I'm a native speaker of english.

Macskeeball
June 26th, 2011, 04:31 AM
As I sit here, my eyes gaze upon the question you have set before me and, once again, the waterfall of my sorrow begins to pour. Oh, woe is me, PCaddicted. Woe is me! For the very idea of a creature such as myself being able to decipher, interpret, and fluently articulate a language such as English is a concept I simply cannot fathom. Oh, the dreadful, dreadful, terrible truth! :cry: Oh, if only it were possible! What a world this would be.

Sí, señor. Mi lengua nativa es inglés y la hablo muy bien. :p

pimentel28
June 26th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Nope. My native language is Portuguese.

It's my native language as well :D

Khakilang
June 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Nope. English is my third language after Chinese and Malay.

GWBouge
June 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Yes. And I still suck at it.

LowSky
June 26th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Native Speaker here with a New York (state) accent.

sanderd17
June 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Last week, the surveillance on my exam was done by a South-African, and when he talked Dutch (or tried) we all sat there with a big smile, listening to his weird accent. I love the African language. But where the African language has no conjugations, in West-Flemish we even conjugate "yes" and "no". A little example:

Q: Are you going there?
A: yes WVL: joak
A: no WVL: nink

Q: Am I going there?
A: yes WVL:joag
A: no WVL: njig

Q: Is he going there?
A: yes WVL: joaj
A: no WVL: nij

Q: Are you (plural) going there?
A: yes WVL: jow
A: no WVL: niw

Q: Are we going there?
A: yes WVL: joag
A: no WVL: njig

Q: Are they going there?
A: yes WVL: joas
A: no WVL: nis

But that are not all the variants. We can put a "mo", or a "mo ba" in front of every "yes" or "no" to emphasize it. Like here, in another song of Flip Kowlier with the title "mobanin": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhcbI6WhSbI

We can off coarse speak Dutch, but not against family.

FlameReaper
June 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Not a native speaker, however I've been grown to speak it.

My actual native language is Malay, though.

Antarctica32
June 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I am a proud native speaker of american!

lulled
June 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM
My native language is pt-BR (Brazilian Portuguese or just Portuguese if you think Brazil and Portugal speak the same language).

skismy
June 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I am a proud native speaker of american!

:lolflag:

Antarctica32
June 30th, 2011, 04:18 AM
:lolflag:

What can I say, it's nearly independence day!
God Bless America, long live freedom.