PDA

View Full Version : Beginning to wonder...

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
...what the devs are thinking. Have a lot of ex-MS devs joined recently? A once stable distro seems to have moved into an experimental stage. Much like MS it seems the focus is on change for the sake of change, make it look pretty and the heck with what users really want.

As far as I am concerned Natty is a total write-off. It looks nice but is slow, clunky and causes my laptop to overheat. I have heard even worse about oneric.

I will use 10.04LTS until its' end of life and then decide what to do, but if Ubuntu continues in its present direction, I doubt very much that I will continue with it.

Just sayin'

haqking
June 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM
...what the devs are thinking. Have a lot of ex-MS devs joined recently? A once stable distro seems to have moved into an experimental stage. Much like MS it seems the focus is on change for the sake of change, make it look pretty and the heck with what users really want.

As far as I am concerned Natty is a total write-off. It looks nice but is slow, clunky and causes my laptop to overheat. I have heard even worse about oneric.

I will use 10.04LTS until its' end of life and then decide what to do, but if Ubuntu continues in its present direction, I doubt very much that I will continue with it.

Just sayin'

Thats what the LTS are for, everything else is release and try at risk ;-)

cariboo
June 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Compared to Natty development, Oneiric is pretty boring, on my well supported hardware.

koleoptero
June 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM
The forum mods and admins should rename the community cafe to the rant box. It's just more fitting.

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM
The forum mods and admins should rename the community cafe to the rant box. It's just more fitting.

Rant: To rave in violent, high-sounding, or extravagant language,
without dignity of thought;

Thus my polite, well reasoned post would not qualify as a rant...

Smilax
June 25th, 2011, 04:59 PM
solution

fedora + xfce

:popcorn:

undecim
June 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thats what the LTS are for, everything else is release and try at risk ;-)

But Ubuntu still pushes the non-LTS releases like they are production-ready. They are not.

beew
June 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM

As far as I am concerned Natty is a total write-off. It looks nice but is slow, clunky and causes my laptop to overheat.

It has some bugs, mostly related to Unity,--many of them have been ironed out by now but some still remain,-- but it has never been slow and clunky (except it takes longer to install and to boot) Once it is up and running I find it faster than Maverick, which in turn is a lot faster than 10.04. Maverick beats Lucid hands down even on my 6 year old Dell Latitude D410 in terms of speed and it doesn't run as hot. Natty runs well on that one too though the performance gap between Natty and Maverick is much smaller than the gap between Maverick and Lucid. I can't imagine downgrading to 10.04 again.

mocoloco
June 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM
In my opinion the response of "only LTS is intended to be stable" is untrue. It's clear from the Ubuntu site itself that the current release is always pushed as the preferred release. Just like previously I've hear that the *.10 releases are supposed to be "experimental" and the *.04 are supposed to be more solid. Again, if this really is some insider unwritten law it's not publicized anywhere by Canonical.

I must agree with the OP. As someone who's attempting to make a business partially based on introducing users to Ubuntu, it's very frustrating that Mr. and Mrs. Thompson can't just upgrade and expect full functionality and stability on their laptop. Instead of making their computing simpler (which it did at first) it's now caused more support calls than their Windows install did.

To me Canonical needs to add one more category besides LTS and Standard; Experimental. I'm not talking about just having users run Current+1 which is in flux until RC, I mean actually putting the experimental stuff in a separate full release. People like me and most who roam the forums would use it, while the more novice "human beings" which are the actual target market of Ubuntu would not see them until they'd been given a more rigorous user acceptance testing. And no, I don't think keeping those users on LTS is the solution, that puts them using old versions of their software and missing out on features and fixes, and there's no reason for an average home user to have to stick with Firefox 3.5 for 3 years when a solid distro upgrade can get them newer versions.

On top of your listed concerns I throw in the whole Unity/Gnome3 controversy and have decided to recommend Mint at least until the dust settles and those UIs find their feet.

beew
June 25th, 2011, 05:28 PM
solution

fedora + xfce

:popcorn:

I can't see how you can recommend Fedora to someone who doesn't like "experimental software". Fedora is interesting but it is always like a beta (or even alpha) next to Ubuntu, I have never had Ubuntu dies on me,--except for a few times when I was messing around A LOT but that was more or less intentional,--but Fedora has died several times without me doing anything risky. The support period is also shorter so you have to upgrade the OS even more frequently.

Smilax
June 25th, 2011, 05:33 PM
umm, "experimental software"

unity?

"experimental software"

unity?

are you sure your ok?

haqking
June 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM
In my opinion the response of "only LTS is intended to be stable" is untrue. It's clear from the Ubuntu site itself that the current release is always pushed as the preferred release. Just like previously I've hear that the *.10 releases are supposed to be "experimental" and the *.04 are supposed to be more solid. Again, if this really is some insider unwritten law it's not publicized anywhere by Canonical.

I must agree with the OP. As someone who's attempting to make a business partially based on introducing users to Ubuntu, it's very frustrating that Mr. and Mrs. Thompson can't just upgrade and expect full functionality and stability on their laptop. Instead of making their computing simpler (which it did at first) it's now caused more support calls than their Windows install did.

To me Canonical needs to add one more category besides LTS and Standard; Experimental. I'm not talking about just having users run Current+1 which is in flux until RC, I mean actually putting the experimental stuff in a separate full release. People like me and most who roam the forums would use it, while the more novice "human beings" which are the actual target market of Ubuntu would not see them until they'd been given a more rigorous user acceptance testing. And no, I don't think keeping those users on LTS is the solution, that puts them using old versions of their software and missing out on features and fixes, and there's no reason for an average home user to have to stick with Firefox 3.5 for 3 years when a solid distro upgrade can get them newer versions.

On top of your listed concerns I throw in the whole Unity/Gnome3 controversy and have decided to recommend Mint at least until the dust settles and those UIs find their feet.

From their site on the download page:

"Our long-term support (LTS) releases are supported for three years on the desktop. Perfect for organisations that need more stability for larger deployments."

Canonical dont push the latest release onto us, we can choose to have the opportunity to download it appear, and even then it is upto us to choose to install.

If something is being updated every 6 months and being released of course it is not STABLE that should be common sense.

not having the latest upgrade does not hinder a linux user like say with MS windows where if you dont upgrade to latest and greatest version you will lose support and wont be able to get hardware to run etc.

If you are using 8.04 or 11.04 canonical i am sure does not see you any different and support is by no means any less available.

mr and mrs thompson if they choose to upgrade every 6 months from there LTS should expect teething problems

SoFl W
June 25th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Just sayin'

I was with you with the "change for the sake of change" complaint. You lost me with the "just sayin'"

owiknowi
June 25th, 2011, 05:45 PM
my working experience is that a lot of the open source software is too much focused on 'new is better' and focuses too little on durability, usability and maintaining lts / enterprise editions.
also newer hardware should be supported by lts / enterprise editions.

many companies simply won't take the risk switching from closed windows to open source because of the supposed lack of continuity, hardware support and difficult professional business support.

so, with all due respect, imho i have to agree with ebasa based on actual experiences.

beew
June 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
so, with all due respect, imho i have to agree with ebasa based on actual experiences.

Where does he say he is an enterprise? I will never run my own computers like an "enterprise",--which means most things are horrendously outdated except maybe for one or two things needed for work.

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I was with you with the "change for the sake of change" complaint. You lost me with the "just sayin'"

Changes should only be made for major improvements, not simply "because we can" most changes are not really of any significant improvement.

cgroza
June 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Changes should only be made for major improvements, not simply "because we can" most changes are not really of any significant improvement.
Natty brought me major improvements. You may not see them, but they are there.

mocoloco
June 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM
From their site on the download page:

"Our long-term support (LTS) releases are supported for three years on the desktop. Perfect for organisations that need more stability for larger deployments."

Canonical dont push the latest release onto us, we can choose to have the opportunity to download it appear, and even then it is upto us to choose to install.

If something is being updated every 6 months and being released of course it is not STABLE that should be common sense.

not having the latest upgrade does not hinder a linux user like say with MS windows where if you dont upgrade to latest and greatest version you will lose support and wont be able to get hardware to run etc.

If you are using 8.04 or 11.04 canonical i am sure does not see you any different and support is by no means any less available.

mr and mrs thompson if they choose to upgrade every 6 months from there LTS should expect teething problems

Just changing the words you emphasize will emphasize my point.

In a company it makes sense to go with tried and true vs shiny and new. But for a home user I've seen more than once that a valuable new feature in Empathy or a bug fix in Brasero can only come from a dist upgrade, since with dependencies it's impossible to install .debs or build from source on an older release. Those fixes and updates are made for users, why not get them to the users?
One of the things that excited me about Ubuntu was it's taking Debian stable and walking the line of including newer releases of software without going fully bleeding-edge. In my opinion they've lost that approach and are more and more on that bleeding edge, which doesn't seem to fit with their supposed target market.

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Natty brought me major improvements. You may not see them, but they are there.

such as....

lucazade
June 25th, 2011, 06:23 PM
such as....

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 06:33 PM
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty

There is nothing there that is of any consequence. As I said Unity is slow and clunky and makes my laptop overheat, so that is not an improvement.

lucazade
June 25th, 2011, 06:36 PM
There is nothing there that is of any consequence. As I said Unity is slow and clunky and makes my laptop overheat, so that is not an improvement.

There are a lot of improvements under the hood.. give it a look

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 07:09 PM
There are a lot of improvements under the hood.. give it a look

As I have said Unity is slow, clunky and makes my laptop overheat, so obviously I have tried it! Still do not see any significant improvements and Unity cannot be customized very well and is IMHO EXPERIMENTAL. No thanks if Ubuntu continues in the direction it is taking it WILL be time to move on.

Please READ my posts rather than just mindlessly spouting your enthusiasm.

haqking
June 25th, 2011, 07:20 PM
As I have said Unity is slow, clunky and makes my laptop overheat, so obviously I have tried it! Still do not see any significant improvements and Unity cannot be customized very well and is IMHO EXPERIMENTAL. No thanks if Ubuntu continues in the direction it is taking it WILL be time to move on.

wrong attitude !

and you keep saying it makes your laptop overheat ! this would be more of a YOUR LAPTOP issue if you ask me.

Feel free to move on, that is the beauty and freedom of open source...try what you want when you want and see if you like it. If you dont like why dont you rewrite it, the source is there for you ;-)

lucazade
June 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Man, i'm speechless..

* cgroza told you "Natty brought me major improvements. You may not see them, but they are there."

* you asked "such as...."

* and I showed you them: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty

don't worry, you can continue to troll with all your enthusiasm..

Smilax
June 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM
oh, i'm with ebasa (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1081134) here, he's not trolling, and i'm sure he's tried other versions of buntu on his laptop, prob didn't overheat, but now must be his laptop ehh?

you guy's are the one's trolling, just cause someone don't agree with what you said don't make them wrong.

pbpersson
June 25th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Much like MS it seems the focus is on change for the sake of change, make it look pretty and the heck with what users really want.

In my opinion, that is the tail wagging the dog. The users are supposed to drive the need for new features. The company should ask their customers what new features they would like to see.

Office 2007 is such a prime example of this!

tkod
June 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Well for now you can still choose to use classic gnome like me, and I can say that natty with classic gnome seems a little faster or at least as fast as maverick. As someone already mentioned they are both way faster than lucid. But in general get used to it - gnome 2 is dying and gnome 3 is quite alike unity - so give kde or xfce a try.

undecim
June 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
and you keep saying it makes your laptop overheat ! this would be more of a YOUR LAPTOP issue if you ask me.

Of course! Ubuntu is perfect! Nevermind that Windows, previous versions of Ubuntu, and every other Linux distro that doesn't use Unity works fine on the laptop.

haqking
June 25th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Of course! Ubuntu is perfect! Nevermind that Windows, previous versions of Ubuntu, and every other Linux distro that doesn't use Unity works fine on the laptop.

Far from it, nothing is. An OS is as good as its user for the most part.

I meant the laptop thing in so much as he kept repeating that Unity etc made his laptop overheat, i believe him and there may be an issue with either.

My point is it isnt pushed on us in my opinion and because a new feature is not working doesnt mean Ubuntu now needs to be thought of as unstable.

with the millions of different software/hardware combinations possible there will never be anything perfect.

However at least with linux we get to choose our combos, nothing is pushed or forced on us !

haqking
June 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
oh, i'm with ebasa (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1081134) here, he's not trolling, and i'm sure he's tried other versions of buntu on his laptop, prob didn't overheat, but now must be his laptop ehh?

you guy's are the one's trolling, just cause someone don't agree with what you said don't make them wrong.

I dont think anyone has said he is wrong, we are discussing.

There was a display of wrong attitude however with his mindlessly spouting comment though.

we are all here to help each other, offer opinions and discuss.

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Man, i'm speechless..

* cgroza told you "Natty brought me major improvements. You may not see them, but they are there."

- you asked "such as...."

a) and I showed you them: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty

don't worry, you can continue to troll with all your enthusiasm..

I still say WHAT IMPROVEMENTS? 10.04 is perfectly fine is see no improvements! Since when is stating an opinion trolling? As with the 'rant' comment you are seriously in need of a dictionary.

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I dont think anyone has said he is wrong, we are discussing.

There was a display of wrong attitude however with his mindlessly spouting comment though.

we are all here to help each other, offer opinions and discuss.
My point was that OBVIOUSLY I tried it...hence the 'mindless' comment which had no bearing on what I had said previously.

My attitude is just fine thank you very much, my original post was polite and thoughtful, knee jerk responses have made it otherwise.

lucazade
June 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Unity makes the laptop overheat... LOL

sounds like "the presence or absence of a butterfly flapping its wings could lead to creation or absence of a hurricane."

- chaos theory -

@Smilax
i'm sorry for you if you are with ebasa

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Unity makes the laptop overheat... LOL

sounds like "the presence or absence of a butterfly flapping its wings could lead to creation or absence of a hurricane."

- chaos theory -

@Smilax
i'm sorry for you if you are with ebasa

Facts are facts it does and no one needs or wants your pity. Let's keep the discussion civil and not resort to personal attacks!

lucazade
June 25th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Facts are facts it does and no one needs or wants your pity. Let's keep the discussion civil and not resort to personal attacks!

This is what you are actually doing with me.
Try to read again what you wrote to me..

I was correct, you are real a troll.
don't worry I won't waste my time with u.

haqking
June 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
ok well time to exit this debacle.

Discussion has gone south ;-)

I wish everyone the best with there installations, Unity desktops or otherwise.

Peace guys

KiwiNZ
June 25th, 2011, 08:33 PM

Just sayin'

ubuntu has been experimental since 2004. Also you don't need to use every 6 monthly release. If you have an edition that works for you and a new release has no compelling reasons to change, why change?

Distro's with a 6 month build cycle are always going to be problematic for someone.

KiwiNZ
June 25th, 2011, 08:34 PM
This is what you are actually doing with me.
Try to read again what you wrote to me..

I was correct, you are real a troll.
don't worry I won't waste my time with u.

No more name calling like this. If it continues there will be infractions issued. Only warning to be given.

ebasa
June 25th, 2011, 08:37 PM
No more name calling like this. If it continues there will be infractions issued. Only warning to be given.

Thank you perhaps now intelligent discussion can continue.

Gremlinzzz
June 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM
From what I been reading the newer kernels do have a heating problem.
laptops are having heating problems.
any word on if it reduces heat? current kernels are melting peoples machines.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1784117

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 25th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I don't particularly like the smart phone or touch pad style interface for a desktop or laptop. I will continue using the classic desktop environments (GNOME 2.X, XFCE, LXDE, etc.) while I wait for the new interfaces to mature. After seeing GNOME 3, Unity, and previews of Windows 8, I realize that I will have to adjust to them eventually. I will occasionally give the new desktop environments a try to see what progress they are making.

lucazade
June 25th, 2011, 09:12 PM
This is a personal attack and insult. I've answered to this.

Anyway I'm sorry for my tone.

beew
June 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
From what I been reading the newer kernels do have a heating problem.
laptops are having heating problems.
any word on if it reduces heat? current kernels are melting peoples machines.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1784117

Natty doesn't use kernel 3.0, not unless you manually install it.

FreeTheBee
June 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM
This power issue concerns the current kernels, 2.6.38 and 2.6.39. See

Mobile Users Beware: Linux Has Major Power Regression (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_mobile_uffda&num=1)
and,
The Tests Showing Ubuntu 11.04 On A Power Consumption Binge (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_natty_power&num=1)

They posted another article on phoronix this week, where they look at the 3.0 kernel as well, but I haven't read it properly.

The Linux Kernel Power Problems On Older Desktop Hardware (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_power_old&num=1)

marvalis
June 25th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I had to re-install ubuntu because the update from 10.04 to 10.10 made my system unusable.

I installed 11.04. At first everything looked good and I was trying to get used to the new interface. The new layout is graphically interesting, software installation (flash players, gimp, ...) went very smooth and was quite enjoyable. The best thing of all is that my wireless connection worked out of the box this time! No need to mess around, the problems with my wireless device that existed in 10.04 where fixed. Things where looking good under the hood.

Then the problems started. After installing the compiz config settings manager and changing anything the top bar of unity went black (compiz + unity seems bugged). After some messing around I noticed that I can no longer have an overview of all opened windows in the new interface. Then I went back to the old (10.04) interface by choosing the option at the login screen. I moved the bottom bar to the left and it was graphically completely bugged. This problem did not exist in 10.04. I somehow managed to kill my interface and ended up with a desktop with no bars and only two folders (lmao). Rebooting in safe mode let me fix this.

I did not expect a buggy and experimental interface in this update. I was very happy about ubuntu 10.04. In fact I was hoping that the old GNOME panel bugs would be fixed (there was some weird behavior when you use a vertical bar). Instead I got a buggy version of a new interface (unity).

I want my operating system to have a vertical bar that shows all the windows (and ideally also all tabs) I have open. This way I can see what I am running and I can switch to any window.

I guess ill have some fun installing a previous version (probably the 10.04?). Ill probably end up making a few partitions and trying out a bunch of OS, since I wanted to do that anyway.

/edit: using the compiz config I could make the sidebar permanently visible and change the backlights of the panel so it is only visible when a program is open. This allow me to somewhat see what programs are currently running. I tweaked firefox so I have vertical tabs for brawsing the web. Not perfect but it seems acceptable.

Gremlinzzz
June 25th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Natty doesn't use kernel 3.0, not unless you manually install it.

I did 3.0-1-generic
The temperature didn't rise:)
stayed the same np

Linuxratty
June 26th, 2011, 01:44 AM

There has been a lot of ranting going on,but I don't see the op doing it.

Smilax
June 26th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I want my operating system to have a vertical bar that shows all the windows (and ideally also all tabs) I have open. This way I can see what I am running and I can switch to any window.

this is the bit i really don't get, no show on windows or tabs without envoking the shell,

my question is,

would anyone even consider using a web browser that didn't have tabbed browsing....

it's just such a usefull feature. and it works.....

what was the plan?

Dangertux
June 26th, 2011, 03:40 AM
How did I miss this gem...

I think I should preface this with the following statement. Functionality of Ubuntu 11.04 (and Linux in general), is directly proportional to the amount of effort you put in ; and the knowledge that you acquire. You may or may not agree, but the open source community has never ceased to amaze me in the department of creativity. If you can think of a problem someone has probably thought of a solution. If there isn't one available you are free to create a solution yourself (if you dare accept that challenge)

To address the complaint of the original poster. Did you purchase an LTS subscription? Obviously not, you're using 11.04. So why do you think Canonical makes any money off of you whatsoever? They don't, so threatening to leave is semi counter-intuitive to your goal. So if you're really bummed about features, lack thereof or improper implementation, why not propose a change and WORK to do something about it.

Pick up a book, google some tutorials, start learning to code, make the operating system what you want it to be. There is always room for suggestions, many coders are looking for inspiration for their talents. Making your opinion known is perfectly acceptable. However, insulting individuals who happen to be happy with the state of this operating system is probably NOT the way to get your feature implemented.

The open source community has existed before you and will exist after you leave it. So the real question is: are you going to be a typical user and throw your hands up and say MY FEATURE ISN'T HERE, and move on to the next big thing? Or are you going to step up and put your money where your mouth is?

As far as LTS being only for corporations, not entirely sure why you think that is the case. If you want stability and support LTS is the place to be. If you want bleeding edge then 11.04 and soon 11.10 is probably something you're going to want.

Yet another set of questions for the OP, if you were so happy with 10.04 or 10.10 why did you switch to 11.04? If you hate 11.04 so much why don't you switch back? If Unity really is the source of all that is wrong in your computing life, why don't you switch to Gnome?

Again, directly proportional to the time and effort you put into it. Make it what you want. The choice is yours.

ebasa
June 26th, 2011, 12:23 PM
How did I miss this gem...

Yet another set of questions for the OP, if you were so happy with 10.04 or 10.10 why did you switch to 11.04? If you hate 11.04 so much why don't you switch back? If Unity really is the source of all that is wrong in your computing life, why don't you switch to Gnome?

Again, directly proportional to the time and effort you put into it. Make it what you want. The choice is yours.

Please reread my post I did not switch to 11.04, I tried it out and found the problems I stated plus I see not 'improvements' that make me want to change from 10.04. Nothing is wrong in my computing life I just expressed a valid concern and opinion, I am not and did not ATTACK anyone. I made no threats just stating my view. I have made my choice I just feel Ubuntu is moving in the wrong direction that is MY opinion and I am entitled to it.

qamelian
June 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM
But Ubuntu still pushes the non-LTS releases like they are production-ready. They are not.
Yes, they are. The only releases I have ever had problems with have been the LTS releases. The LTS releases have just as much chance of being wonky as the non-LTS releases.

ebasa
June 26th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 is destined to become the XP of Ubuntu i.e. the last great version...

koleoptero
June 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I apologize for the slightly troll-like post I made.

@ebasa: I share your concern over unity, and I believe I won't ever use it. After testing it I came to the conclusion that I dislike it a lot. That doesn't mean that it's bad though, a lot of people like it so it can't be all that bad.

On the other hand, about the stability issues you've had, these things happen in linux all the time. 11.04 was slightly unusable on my laptop when it came out too, due to some bug I'm guessing. It's been fixed now though, and it's running just fine atm. I have skipped some versions of ubuntu because of stability issues in the past too, 8.04 and 8.10 for example. It's no big deal.

I don't believe ubuntu is heading in any weird direction, it's just adjusting to the change that is coming with gnome 3, which is inevitable. And unity is a relatively young project, no DE was anywhere near stability on the first release, or even the second. That doesn't mean they shouldn't release it. The amount of testing it gets now wouldn't have been possible if they hadn't released it.

It's a period of a lot of changes right now, with gnome 3 and ubuntu choosing to go its way with unity instead of the gnome-shell. Things will stabilize again in the future you'll see.

Antarctica32
June 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM

I agree

Dave_L
June 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Do the LTS releases undergo a more rigorous testing procedure? Are they completely stable at the time of release?

My impression is that if stability is a high priority for you, then you should defer upgrading until at least the first "point release". For example, when 12.04 is released in April 2012, don't upgrade immediately; wait for 12.04.1 in Oct 2012.

Dangertux
June 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Please reread my post I did not switch to 11.04, I tried it out and found the problems I stated plus I see not 'improvements' that make me want to change from 10.04. Nothing is wrong in my computing life I just expressed a valid concern and opinion, I am not and did not ATTACK anyone. I made no threats just stating my view. I have made my choice I just feel Ubuntu is moving in the wrong direction that is MY opinion and I am entitled to it.

After re-reading your post as requested, I would agree that you were not intentionally attacking anyone. I also agree that your opinion is yours. While I also believe that making suggestions is usually positive, I think that actions by far outweigh words and gripes in general. Particularly when you have the opportunity to truly make things the way you want. It is very rare in life that you have that chance, you shouldn't toss it away when you have it.

So with the exceptions noted above my original post still accurately reflects my opinion.

dmizer
June 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Far too much trolling going on in here.

Thank you all for participating.