PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to change desktop theme

tlhodgson
June 25th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hi all,

I am running 11.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1500 series laptop. I updated my computer yesterday, and now my desktop theme is different. In 10.04, changing the theme was easy, just go to appearance settings and choose. For some reason, when I go to appearance and select a theme now, the only options I get are customize and install, neither of which do anything to help me change my theme. The install button takes me to my home directory...presumably to pick a theme file. But I can't find any themes in my home directory.

Does anyone know what is going on? How do I change the theme now?

Thanks for any help from the community.

Terry

Alwimo
June 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM
It should be identical to what it was in the past. Something has gone wrong.

As you have the customise button, you could select the individual elements through that.

Frogs Hair
June 25th, 2011, 03:42 PM
The installation tab takes you to the home directory because if had downloaded a theme for installation and it would have been saved there in a a file of your choice . You could first try restarting the computer and if that doesn't work try the command below followed by restarting the computer
killall gnome-settings-daemon

tlhodgson
July 2nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. Ive been away from the computer for about a week now. I fired it up and it was back to normal. I was also able to download a theme from the gnome page. I have no idea what the issue was, but it seems to be working now.

I appreciate your help on this matter.