PDA

View Full Version : Do you QWERTY or DVORAK?

slooksterpsv
June 25th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I've read a lot of information regarding QWERTY vs DVROAK and so I've decided I'm going to learn how to type in DVORAK. Luckily there's a program called:
dvorak7min to help me learn it.

So does anyone use one, the other or both? I find it interesting that DVORAK can be so... efficient and accurate? I mean I'm still learning it, but it's kind of fun =D.

NovaAesa
June 25th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Dvorak represent :)

slooksterpsv
June 25th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Dvorak represent :)

So that's why it took you 4 min. to respond ;)
Just kidding, I just looked at a homerow session and wow there's a lot you can spell and type with just the home row.

Dustin2128
June 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Qwerty. No point in learning anything else really, it's the most common and the speed/RSI differences are doubtable.

Random_Dude
June 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
QWERTY

I am not a native English speaker, so I see no point in learning DVORAK.
Besides, I'm trying to learn touch typing, which is kind of hard considering that I am constantly changing from one keyboard to another (with different QWERTY layouts). :(

Cheers :cool:

Paqman
June 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Three/four finger QWERTY ftw. Have been meaning to learn to touch type for ages, but it involves more of an investment of time and frustration than I'm willing to make.

Don't see the point in DVORAK unless you do a LOT of typing and always use the same keyboard. Probably just one for code monkeys or journos.

ilovelinux33467
June 25th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I use QWERTY.

Copper Bezel
June 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM
QWERTY with the AltGr US International layout, which I do depend on utterly. Still, I didn't consciously learn to touch-type; it just happened. I can't swap my keys around on the Asus laptop I use, and I do have to use QWERTY ones in other contexts. In general, learning to type again sounds like an extraordinary investment in the short term, and the return is relatively long-term.

waynerod
June 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Three/four finger QWERTY ftw. Have been meaning to learn to touch type for ages, but it involves more of an investment of time and frustration than I'm willing to make.

Don't see the point in DVORAK unless you do a LOT of typing and always use the same keyboard. Probably just one for code monkeys or journos.

I use QWERTY. I didn't even know of DVORAK. :o
Anyway most of the layouts are QWERTY and I already touch-type, so switching would be a problem.

<But cool, I learnt something new :) >

sanderd17
June 25th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I used Azerty until last year, now I'm on a qwerty. In azerty I could touch-type, but there are not many keys different in the qwerty, so it was easy to learn.

I've also tried dvorak, but it's impossible to do if you don't have such a keyboard.

Rhubarb
June 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm a Dvorak touch typist since a few years back
I'd learned most of it in a few weeks (don't try to learn if you have work to do, as you'll be very slow and inefficient initially!)

If you type in English, and you've some free time, and you (want to) touch type, then Dvorak is pretty good :)

Just a word of note, if you use vim, then use the cursor keys rather than trying to use the "jkl;" keys - else it gets rather confusing :P

It's also good if you have shoulder surfers / other people wanting to use your computer. It really confuses them when the keyboard layout is different :P

Also, you don't need a keyboard with the Dvorak layout keys printed on it, it's best to memorize the key locations in your head.
I found http://www.dvzine.org/ helpful.
- I just printed out the keyboard layout, with some highlighters to highlight where the fingers are on the main home row. Once memorised, it's v easy :)

Bandit
June 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I use QWERTY. Not going to bother with DVORAK as most production keyboards are QWERTY based and is the based layout I have been using since I was in first or 2nd grade around 1987.

Bölvağur
June 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I was trying to learn dvorak and succeeded. But today I still use qwerty. Might try to start using dvorak again... perhaps dig up my custom dvorak layout tonight :P

Madspyman
June 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Dvorak. It's the future of typing that nobody knows about yet.

CraigPaleo
June 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I use Dvorak but Colemak (http://colemak.com/) is supposed to be slightly more efficient than Dvorak while being easier to learn since it keeps as many keys as possible in common with QWERTY.

If you learn any other keyboard layout, try not to forget QWERTY. I have forgotten it and it's frustrating when using any other computer but my own.

phibxr
June 25th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Been typing DVORAK for almost ten years now, I use QWERTY exclusively at work though. No issues switching here. :)

Ric_NYC
June 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM
DVO... What?

:)

CraigPaleo
June 25th, 2011, 07:14 PM
DVO... What?

:)

People seem to think it's an acronym. :) It's a keyboard layout invented by Dr. August Dvorak, whom it's named after.

Copper Bezel
June 25th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I love that, that the guy's name looks every bit as much like a random selection of letters as QWERTY does to most English speakers. = )

speedwell68
June 25th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I have never tried a Dvorak keyboard. I am a trained touch typist and I reckon it would mess with my head.

nzjethro
June 26th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I use Dvorak, although it was done mainly because I was bored at work over the summer and because of the first panel in this xkcd comic. (http://xkcd.com/554/)

Now though, I find it a lot easier, although other people do complain when they use my laptop.

Thewhistlingwind
June 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I still hunt and peck, with one finger, apparently at over 100WPM.

Alwimo
June 26th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I use QWERTY but would like to use a Dvorak keyboard. I don't want to put stickers on my keys and as I primarily use a laptop, buying a Dvorak keyboard to plug in would be a bit silly. Not that I can find any Dvorak keyboards in any shops I've looked in.

I know a person whose last name is Dvorak, and I was quite surprised by this before I found out that the keyboard name wasn't an acronym. :)

nzjethro
June 26th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I use QWERTY but would like to use a Dvorak keyboard. I don't want to put stickers on my keys and as I primarily use a laptop, buying a Dvorak keyboard to plug in would be a bit silly. Not that I can find any Dvorak keyboards in any shops I've looked in.

Yeah, I had to pop my keys off, and restick them on. It's a shame that this (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/demo/) is ~$300. Imagine being able to switch from Dvorak to QWERTY at the touch of a button (and then switch to keys for gaming, or whatever else).

CraigPaleo
June 26th, 2011, 01:27 AM
I ordered Dvorak keyboard stickers for just a few bucks. It helped until I was able to touch type in Dvorak. I used KTouch for that.

I have both the standard USA and Dvorak layouts installed. I just click on the panel to switch between them. It comes in handy for gaming or when someone else wants to use my computer.

Macskeeball
June 26th, 2011, 02:07 AM
If you learn any other keyboard layout, try not to forget QWERTY. I have forgotten it and it's frustrating when using any other computer but my own.

That right there is the reason why I simply stick with QWERTY.