PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] New Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcuts

waffleguy4
June 25th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I switched to Ubuntu a few months ago. The only thing I miss from Windows 7 were their new keyboard shortcuts for moving windows between a monitor or multiple monitor. This allowed you to take one large monitor and easily use it as two by pushing certain windows to one half of the screen or another via the keyboard. A really huge time saver for people who use lots of windows or has dual screens.

The keyboard shortcuts:

WIN+Up Arrow
Maximize the window.

WIN+Left Arrow
Maximize the window to the left side of the screen. A second time sends it to the left monitor.

WIN+Right Arrow
Maximize the window to the right side of the screen. A second time sends it to the right monitor.

WIN+Down Arrow
Minimize the window.

I've searched and discussed this answer before on the forums but have never found a good solution. The Grid options in the Compiz Settings Manager do not seem to work for me. I've tried several other Compiz hacks as well. Does anyone know how to set this up in 11.04?

fyi, I'm using the non-Unity classic view in 11.04.

Thanks!

VCoolio
June 25th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Install wmctrl and try like explained here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1608049); adjust commands mentioned there to your screen size and preferences. The action to other monitors on second time, I don't have ideas on.