PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Ubuntu YouTube tutorials?

de_dust
June 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I've been wanting to make videos about Ubuntu but can't for the life of me think of anything to teach.

haqking
June 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I've been wanting to make videos about Ubuntu but can't for the life of me think of anything to teach.

how to use the forums to search for commonly asked questions.

then make it a sticky LOL ;-)

oh and i mean that for real, not meant at your post being repeated ;-)

cariboo
June 25th, 2011, 01:14 AM
A tutorial on how to create a great video tutorial

drawkcab
June 25th, 2011, 02:46 AM
How to install the codecs for x264 and configure smplayer so that all .mkvs can be played?

trizrK
June 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Newbie stuff.
use a screen capturer too.
WITH voice, lol.
Cant tell you how much i hate the slow notepad typing!:-x

MrEgg
June 25th, 2011, 08:24 AM
You may want to check out Ubuntu Screencasts (http://screencasts.ubuntu.com) - there's a lot of tutorials over there, which could inspire you for new ones !

coutts99
June 25th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Youtube tutorials suck.

Write a proper text based howto, much more use to everyone.

slooksterpsv
June 25th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Youtube tutorials suck.

Write a proper text based howto, much more use to everyone.

With screenshots.

Anyways to your original question:

How to get a decent FPS from screen capture (gots a script to do thats for mes =D ), how to use DASH, umm.... Ubuntu umm.... the others are really just app specific; oh how to search effectively in Ubuntu Software Center.

kidknapp
June 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Jack and Rosegarden with Hydrogen and realtime kernel. :p

kleovoulinos
June 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I would make a tutorial about what extensions to install to run DVD's that are, let's say Windows compatible!

Random_Dude
June 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
How to do an Ubuntu minimal install.
There are already enough videos about normal installation procedures and newbie stuff IMHO.

Cheers :cool:

ZarathustraDK
June 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
+1 on the fleshed out guide on how to obtain optimal FPS on screencasts/video-tutorials.

Seems to me that getting a proper FPS on these things is a highly individual thing that depends on hardware, resolution, refresh rate and whatnot. A proper guide that teaches how to produce an optimal, fluid, youtube-ready screencast, 720p/1080p res, would go a long way.

Youtube is one of the few venues where the creative bunch of users can pimp their desktop, so it's one of the few marketing-tools we possess.

Remember back when Compiz first came out? Youtube really served to win over a lot of people back then.

Bart_D
June 25th, 2011, 04:00 PM

How to perform an Ubuntu minimal installation starting from the Minimal CD image installation ALL THE WAY to having a working desktop (preferably Gnome 3 with Gnome Shell) with
- plug-n-play
- audio
- video
drivers installed.

Note that the part I hilited in bold is NOT described on Psychocats. This is very disappointing and so YOU need to step up and produce a YouTube video showing EXACTLY how this is done.

slooksterpsv
June 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM
+1 on the fleshed out guide on how to obtain optimal FPS on screencasts/video-tutorials.

Seems to me that getting a proper FPS on these things is a highly individual thing that depends on hardware, resolution, refresh rate and whatnot. A proper guide that teaches how to produce an optimal, fluid, youtube-ready screencast, 720p/1080p res, would go a long way.

Youtube is one of the few venues where the creative bunch of users can pimp their desktop, so it's one of the few marketing-tools we possess.

Remember back when Compiz first came out? Youtube really served to win over a lot of people back then.

echo "Press CTRL+C to stop"
ffmpeg -r 30 -s 1366x768 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -qscale 2 ~/RD-$(date +%F_%k-%M-%S).avi
echo "Finished Recording!"

That's how I do it =D

EDIT: Weird for LMDE I have to do: $(echo $(date +%F_%k-%M-%S) | sed 's/ //g') for the RD-$... cause otherwise it puts in a space that shouldn't be there.