PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I get 10.10 desktop back?

inga2
June 24th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I loved Ubuntu up to 10.10. Then I installed Natty, and "Shades of Vista!!!" :( :(
I thought I had escaped Microsoft clutter and "user friendliness" which put up all sorts of barriers to doing what I want to do.

Now it feels like I'm back in Vista. But even Vista allows the option of the "Classic View" menu.

Does Natty have an equivalent option of a classic view menu -- something a little more like 10.10?

If I could have that, I'd be happy :guitar:

_0R10N
June 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what Shades of Vista is? Besides, what you mean with "Classic view"? do you mean you want to start a traditional gnome session? If so, in your login screen you will see that at the menu on the bottom of the screen there's an option to start a classic gnome session.

inga2
June 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

"Shades of Vista!" was my reaction to seeing the new desktop. With a bit of fiddling, I saw that the philosophy behind the structuring appeared to be very similar to that behind the Vista desktop. And I dislike that a lot! Even using the Classic menu doesn't help all the barriers to accessing stuff that Vista (in its programmers' wisdom) I should not access.

In the meantime, I did discover how to log into Ubuntu to recover the classic, uncluttered view (traditional gnome session?). It's fast, clean, and quite user-friendly once you get used to it.

I feel a lot better already. But I think I'll stick with to LTS upgrades from now on. ;)

_0R10N
June 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I also prefer the old gnome to Unity (or gnome3)... updates don't always mean progress!

akand074
June 24th, 2011, 11:06 PM
updates don't always mean progress!

True. But Unity and Gnome-Shell >>> Gnome 2. Unity is missing obvious functionality that most should be put in by 11.10 if not 12.04. People may prefer gnome 2 panels, some of which are legitimate preferences, while others presumptuous preference, which is all fine. But Unity and Gnome-shell are definitely technologically/productively superior. I actually had to install so much third party applications just to get the functionality that both Unity and Gnome-shell now has. To be honest, it was still a little better in gnome 2 (particularly gnome-do had much more features for searching) but as time progresses I'm sure they will be better. Not to mention lenses in Unity and extensions for gnome-shell using web technologies which allow users to create all sorts of added functionality. I can only imagine what it'll be like in a couple years.

Though it seems this is irrelevant to the point of the thread. Just had a bit of time to rant haha.

_0R10N
June 25th, 2011, 05:35 AM
True. But Unity and Gnome-Shell >>> Gnome 2. Unity is missing obvious functionality that most should be put in by 11.10 if not 12.04. People may prefer gnome 2 panels, some of which are legitimate preferences, while others presumptuous preference, which is all fine. But Unity and Gnome-shell are definitely technologically/productively superior. I actually had to install so much third party applications just to get the functionality that both Unity and Gnome-shell now has. To be honest, it was still a little better in gnome 2 (particularly gnome-do had much more features for searching) but as time progresses I'm sure they will be better. Not to mention lenses in Unity and extensions for gnome-shell using web technologies which allow users to create all sorts of added functionality. I can only imagine what it'll be like in a couple years.

Though it seems this is irrelevant to the point of the thread. Just had a bit of time to rant haha.

Well, I agree that both gnome-shell and Unity are a step forward, but I found so many issues on them that I rather keep my old gnome sessions and wait till they become mature enough.

akand074
June 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Well, I agree that both gnome-shell and Unity are a step forward, but I found so many issues on them that I rather keep my old gnome sessions and wait till they become mature enough.

No one will argue with that. Gnome 2 has been around for so long it's fully matured. A couple years from now Unity and gnome-shell will be that mature and stable and then something new will come and this process will start all over again.