PDA

View Full Version : Adobe adopting HTML5

lovinglinux
June 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
It might be too soon jump into conclusions, but Adobe is releasing an authoring tool that uses HTML5 instead of Flash.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Adobe-Edge/?kc=rss

Adobe is preparing to supplement its popular-but-proprietary Flash product with a standards-based animation tool based on HTML5, JavaScript, and CSS. Supporting imported bitmap and vector graphics, Adobe Edge produces output compatible with browsers including Firefox, Internet Explorer 9, and the Safari versions used in Apple's iPad and iPhone, the company says.

Roasted
June 24th, 2011, 02:21 PM
lol. Adobe. They're so silly.

Grenage
June 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Well it's rarely a bad move to hedge your bets and cover more ground. Adobe promote Flash because it sells; if an HTML5 tool will also sell, then fair play - especially considering the current market.

Bandit
June 24th, 2011, 02:47 PM
It might be too soon jump into conclusions, but Adobe is releasing an authoring tool that uses HTML5 instead of Flash.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Adobe-Edge/?kc=rss

Well it's rarely a bad move to hedge your bets and cover more ground. Adobe promote Flash because it sells; if an HTML5 tool will also sell, then fair play - especially considering the current market.

Reason for this move is that if they dont go to HTML then they will be left with a product "flash" that no one wishes to buy since HTML5/CSS/JS can do all that flash can, but is totally free. With the exception of Flash Movie animation, HTML4/CSS/JS can already do most (but not all) everything flash can. And lets face it, most of Adobes products are anything but cheap. If they want to continue selling web creation products, they better get on the same page as everyone else or risk loosing sales.

One thing Adobe knows is that many developers/designers love using their products because they are for the most part very user friendly. Based on this knowledge the move to HTML5 is a superb one on Adobes buisness front as people will be faced with two options. 1) learn to code XHTML, or 2)Just buy Adobes idiot proof tools and skip learning and get to work.
Most businesses will evaluate both based on their demands, and in the end the majority will prob just buy the software to ensure they can stay productive.

Dry Lips
June 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Flash never took off in the way that was commonly expected when I went to college.
If Flash dies, I won't shed a tear.

Bandit
June 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Flash never took off in the way that was commonly expected when I went to college.
If Flash dies, I won't shed a tear.

++

I want loose no sleep..

Personally I had multiple web classes from XHTML through Dreamweaver. Having had the XHTML class prior to DW class, I found myself 8 out of 10 times skipping the tools in DW and just coding the mess straight in. I personally have goten were I hate fighting with those types of GUIs.

Grenage
June 24th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Was I using a separate internet or something? Flash usage was/is immense, it was everywhere! Thankfully it's becoming less common, but it did serve its purpose.

Dry Lips
June 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Was I using a separate internet or something? Flash usage was/is immense, it was everywhere! Thankfully it's becoming less common, but it did serve its purpose.
Sure, Flash was/is big, but the fact that its popularity now is declining,
shows that it never was “the future of Internet”.

Grenage
June 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM
It was still considered 'the' choice for a very long time. There's no end-game solution when it comes to technology, it changes constantly.

Dry Lips
June 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
It was still considered 'the' choice for a very long time.

I guess we're talking about Internet-time here ;) But I get your point, though...
It is something of a cliché, but information technology is indeed changing very
rapidly. The choices of today will be passé tomorrow, etc...

Zero2Nine
June 24th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Flash is still required for producing sophisticated games but for playing Video it could become obsolete. Think Adobe is getting a little uncomfortable with YouTube (Google) providing HTML5 for the adfree videos already.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
June 25th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Yes it was. Every technology has to go sooner or later. Flash filled it's purpose and made some people a lot of money.

alexan
June 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I can't really see how they can act otherwise: html5 isn't just about have "flash alternative". But the future evolution of the web; they, plainly, can't do otherwise if wish to stay in the web business with other than flash

lovinglinux
August 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM
Adobe released a preview of Adobe Edge (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/01/adobe_edge_public_preview/). It doesn't mention if it is cross-platform, but I doubt it is.

forrestcupp
August 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM

Flash has been around and reigned forever. I'd say it had a good run and had plenty of time to be "the future of the internet". And I'll also say that it will still be a while before Flash disappears.