PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mouse left-click right-click issues for tabs, menu, window selection & moving windows

Reteip
June 24th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I installed Ubuntu 11.04 fresh, but with my home partition intact as it was with Maverick. It was all good for a while but now on start-up, when first opening Firefox, I cant select alternate tab from my selection of multiple tabs (home pages) until I select a menu item – now using Classic (no effects).
Then when I do select an alternate tab I cannot select a menu item until right-clicking somewhere on the Ff page.
Then after using Writer I cant view or go back to Ff properly, as the Writer window stays in the forefront.
I can't even grab the Writer window to move it out of the way, as clicking and dragging it with the left mouse button does not have any affect. However left-clicking somewhere on the Writer page then allows me to move the Writer window and allows me to select the Ff window and bring it to the forefront.
This same procedure, right-clicking to allow window changes, also has to be done before being able to minimise the window.
When the update manager or CompizConfig Settings Manager windows are in the forefront I have found no way of being able to move them or get back to doing stuff in Writer or Ff, unless I do 'Alt + F4' to close that window.
Other than that the left and right mouse buttons work as expected.
The keyboard works fine, with my limited knowledge of keyboard shortcuts that is.

Another thing is that this behaviour is inconsistent at times. Meaning that I can move and switch between windows at times without having to left-click.
I don't dare click on 'show desktop' as this will disable all mouse clicking efforts!
Another weird thing was when I selected Synaptic from the side-menu list when I initially had Unity or from the panel in Classic with no effects (currently) it throws up a black screen with the hourglass icon and eventually back to a normal screen with this message: “Could not grab your mouse – A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus. Try again.”

I have tried different suggestions I found for other similar issues that I found in the Forums, such as changing the Window Management settings in CompizConfig and uninstalling the x-server-xorg-video-nouveau display driver, but these options have had no effect.

I have an Asus P7H55D-M EVO m.board and am using the Intel graphics incorporated into the i5-661 processor.

If you have any suggestions that involve using the terminal, could you please post the full commands as I am not too good with that I'm afraid.

Reteip
July 2nd, 2011, 02:37 AM
Hi all
Does the lack of replies mean it looks like this is part of something that can't be fixed till the next release, or could it be just something peculiar to my system/situation?

Pieter

Reteip
July 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Recent updates have fixed my problems.

Many thanks to all of you who do such good work to give us a usually very user friendly and powerful operating system!

Thanks
Pieter