PDA

View Full Version : Anything cheaper than AmazonBasics 4.7 GB 16x DVD+R (100-Pack Spindle) at $18?

hanzj
June 24th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I'm needing to buy some blank DVDs. Amazon sells a spindle of 100 DVD+R for $18. Do you folks know of any 100-pack cheaper?

UPDATE: Shipping can be free (with AmazonPrime or by adding to cart. Also, no tax in many states.

LowSky
June 24th, 2011, 06:11 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817132076

17.99 w/ 4.99 shipping... no tax for many states

hanzj
June 24th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Yours is more expensive by $5. Amazon offers free shipping.

3rdalbum
June 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yours is more expensive by $5. Amazon offers free shipping.

Does Amazon offer a free data recovery service when your DVDs become unreadable in a year's time?

Look, I can't comment specifically on those DVDs that you linked to, but you should buy optical discs based on how strong the die is and how the general quality is, rather than on how cheap they are. I made some backups five years ago onto CD-Rs and within three years they become totally unreadable. That taught me. It taught me good. Now, I buy optical discs based on price - I buy the more expensive ones.

Grenage
June 24th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Indeed, and God help you if you leave cheap discs anywhere near sunlight for an extended period of time.

NovaAesa
June 24th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Yup, if you want high quality lasting backups, it's better to buy higher quality even if it costs a few cents extra per DVD. They're really cheap anyway!

hanzj
June 28th, 2011, 02:51 AM
NovaAesa, Grenage, 3rdalbum:
Thank you for your comments, and for the important note that buying on low price should not be the first priority.

How can we determine the quality of the disc before buying it? Is "how strong the die is" quantified and is that info made available to us consumers? How can we make intelligent buying decisions if such information is not provided?

Grenage
June 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
It's very difficult, to be honest; Verbatim has always been the most consistent brand for me. Different brands tend to use different suppliers at different times, so it's hard to be sure that you're not getting a bad Chinese batch. The Japanese discs are the ones to look out for.

hanzj
June 29th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I emailed Amazon with questions influenced by this thread. A customer service agent replied:

The organic dye used on the write side of these DVD+Rs provides stable writing at high speeds for reliable, accurate finished disks. It is a synthetic organic-metallic compound that results in a high reflectivity and decent lifespan due to the metallic content.

For customer convenience, items are backed by one-year Amazon Basics warranty. To know more information about this warranty, please visit below link:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/AB_WBr4.0_0804-3__print_BY_DG.pdf

If I have bad discs, I guess I can let Amazon know. I'm sure they'll make things right. They are very customer-centred.

slooksterpsv
June 29th, 2011, 04:56 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817132076

$17.99 Free Shipping

It's 1 penny cheaper than the $18 above =D

hanzj
June 29th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Actually, Amazon's exact price is $17.99. I just wrote $18. But thanks for letting me know about newegg's offer. I may just buy from newegg, as they don't have a minimum order for free shipping.

slooksterpsv
June 29th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Actually, Amazon's exact price is $17.99. I just wrote $18. But thanks for letting me know about newegg's offer. I may just buy from newegg, as they don't have a minimum order for free shipping.

I figured Amazon's was about the same, but Newegg rocks! =D