PDA

View Full Version : A small predicament regarding graphics cards...

Lucradia
June 24th, 2011, 01:27 AM
I don't need a new graphics card anytime soon due to my motherboard upgrade to handle all my fans, but with the following things in my case as of the first full week of July...

* ASUS Crosshair V Formula (Soundblaster X-Fi 2 Integrated)
* x3 200mm Fans + x2 140mm Fans (HAF-X)
* PNY GTX 470
* 125 Watt AMD Phenom II X6 @ 3.3 GHz (1100T)
* 1.5 Volt DDR3 OEM RAM (x4 x 2GB) (Too many Volts for the board, according to the guide / onboard LED)
* 850 Watt CoolerMaster Modular PSU (66AMP +12V One Rail)

...and with these up and coming...

* Coolermaster V8 AfterMarket CPU Cooler
* Mushkin 1.3V DDR3 8GB (2x x 4GB) RAM (Dual Channel)

...Should I get a higher watt PSU to accomodate this possible GPU upgrade...

* GTX 590 (x2 8-pin, 700 Watts Min. PSU Needed)

According to this: http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I need About 656 Watts (1 7200 RPM SATA, 1 LED 140 Fan, 1 LED 230 Fan, 2 Regular 230 fans, 1 regular 140 fan. 1 DVD+/-RW / CD Combo. 2 USB Devices that draw power. Sound Blaster w/ Front Bay. +1 120MM Fan for the V8 cooler when installed. The motherboard has two +12V Rail connections onboard, so it's actually high-end.)

LowSky
June 24th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Dont get the 590... your rocking a 470, whats the point of such an upgrade?

There is not one game that doesn't run amazing on even a Nvidia 460 GTX (which I have).

Save the cash and wait until the 6xx series is out next year.

I hope you have cooling and not just a bunch of fan noise. My PC has 5 fans (low noise Noctuas). I don't hear them and my PC is so cool my Nvidia card nearly never runs loud.

Lucradia
June 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Dont get the 590... your rocking a 470, whats the point of such an upgrade?

There is not one game that doesn't run amazing on even a Nvidia 460 GTX (which I have).

Save the cash and wait until the 6xx series is out next year.

I hope you have cooling and not just a bunch of fan noise. My PC has 5 fans (low noise Noctuas). I don't hear them and my PC is so cool my Nvidia card nearly never runs loud.

My coolermaster fans are pretty quiet, but they could never cool anything because my old motherboard only had one chassis fan controller onboard; so I got this new ASUS Crosshair V Formula, and it has FIVE (One CPU Optional fan doubles as a chassis fan) or so if I recall, I don't count the CPU fan since that's always used by... you guessed it, the CPU fan.

I'll wait until next year then to check out new nvidia serials. In the mean time, I plan to save money for an SSD, see how well they perform on 6 GBps for gaming over my SATA 3 GBps 7200 RPM. (also want to save a bit of wattage, as one of the big drainers is the Harddrive.)