PDA

View Full Version : what if google.....

gigaferz
June 24th, 2011, 12:08 AM
what if google simply develops android more desktop oriented and starts selling pc's?

would they sell better than anything *nix is outthere right now?

I think so, android is so well known by now and people are happy with it.

and this will be the begining of a new era what i see is 40% market share with android in the desktop/laptop/netbook area.

i think that ubuntu somehow slowed down (not to mention any other
distros that were jealous of ubuntu hitting hard back then)

tell me what do you think?

Thewhistlingwind
June 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Right now google is trying to get their chromebook off the ground, which I predict will fail. As a desktop and PC OS, I don't think people want the cellphone experience on their computers.

As a *nix, Android is more a splice of the Java runtime environment and the kernel then anything else.

themarker0
June 24th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I would welcome the Google Desktop. I don't do anything wrong, or anything i mind googling seeing, so i wouldn't mind all the crap installed on it. Plus it would likely well build and cross platform.

I'd buy it.

gigaferz
June 24th, 2011, 12:26 AM
i was thinking because the android based tablets are hitting from low 100s to 500 + usd.

and if you think about it a tablet is getting closer to a desktop like the asus transformer or anyother with a bluetooth keyboard... im just saying a few more tweaks... and the netbooks are very expensive imo and a 130 android tablet really brings you the mobile experience.

im not a fan ive been just thinking over and over to buy one but im not really sure..

where do you see this going?

smellyman
June 24th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I think goggle should control all data.

that can only be a good thing.....

timZZ
June 24th, 2011, 01:39 AM
A theory question around Google making an O/S ... They have tried before ... didn't go so well.

SoFl W
June 24th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I would welcome the Google Desktop. I don't do anything wrong, or anything i mind googling seeing, so i wouldn't mind all the crap installed on it. Plus it would likely well build and cross platform.

You are a good little submissive!

PhillyPhil
June 24th, 2011, 02:47 AM
what if google simply develops android more desktop oriented and starts selling pc's?

would they sell better than anything *nix is outthere right now?

I think so, android is so well known by now and people are happy with it.

and this will be the begining of a new era what i see is 40% market share with android in the desktop/laptop/netbook area.

i think that ubuntu somehow slowed down (not to mention any other
distros that were jealous of ubuntu hitting hard back then)

tell me what do you think?

I don't think that's very likely. Android is a nice phone OS, but it's definitely not suited to desktops. Can you imagine living with a non-windowed desktop, and having to click 'back' all the time?

Quadunit404
June 24th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I don't think that's very likely. Android is a nice phone OS, but it's definitely not suited to desktops. Can you imagine living with a non-windowed desktop, and having to click 'back' all the time?

I'd rather not, thanks.

Dustin2128
June 24th, 2011, 05:43 AM
If it was decent, people would buy it and give a lot more leash to it than normal linux distros when it comes to things going wrong.

whatthefunk
June 24th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Google Inc. is not allowed on my computer.