PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Help with 5.1 surround sound on Extigy or other snd-usb-audio device

Lans-a-lot
June 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Has anyone been able to get 5.1 Surround Sound to work with a SoundBlaster Extigy USB sound device from Creative Labs? The ALSA documentation says that the Extigy is supported. I can get really great stereo but no other channels. Has anyone got 5.1 surround sound to work with any other USB sound device?

I have put together an Ubuntu PC to use as a media center / home theater. I've got MythTV working as a DVR, MP3 music jukebox, digital photo frame, and DVD player. Iíve got 3 TV tuners for simultaneous recording and watching different channels. LIRC is configured so I can navigate MythTV using a simple IR remote control. I have a dual headed display, with an SVGA CRT for primary display of the XFCE desktop and other programs, while MythTV displays to my TV via S-Video out.

Except for 5.1 surround sound, everything is configured really sweet so that any couch-potato with a thumb can navigate the system using a simple remote. It is so frustrating. I put the entire media center system together for about $300 from used stuff I scrounged on eBay and from yard sales. It does everything I wanted it to do, except the surround sound wonít work.

HELP!..