PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Programming

jaypatel
June 23rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
I am new to kernel programming.I wish to develop a program to read USB drive information like its manufacturer name,capacity,etc.I know about descriptors and their attributes.But I dont understand how to enumerate USB drives connected to the system.I am looking for the function which initiates connection between kernel and USB port.How is it possible?

cgroza
June 23rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
The library libusb deals with usb manipulation. I am not sure if it is relevant to your case though.

jaypatel
June 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
libusb cannot find drive space,capacity.What I just need is how to initiate connection between kernel and USB devices.

zobayer1
June 23rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
libusb cannot find drive space,capacity.What I just need is how to initiate connection between kernel and USB devices.

You can take a look on /dev and open specific device you want, and then use their properties.
In my system, I can see 4 usb items in /dev. In many system, there are ttyUSB type devices. I am not sure though.

I never used usb port, but once we programmed serial ports, which was ttyS0 ... etc. so, you can do it with some C system calls and library functions.