PDA

View Full Version : Logging into Ubuntu Forums like it is the Morning paper

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Anyone else log into Ubuntu Forums like it is the morning paper ? LOL

I get up in the mornings and flick open my laptop lid and log on, i have firefox open 3 tabs, Ubuntu Forums being the first and i sit and avidly read the latest posts,threads and updates before i even wander in to flick the kettle on....LOL

I have been an Internet user since the 80's (yes for those who dont know, there was an Internet before the www came about in the 90's) it just wasnt as pretty and i have always had a digital addiction, over the years i have belonged to many forums but for some reason the Ubuntu Forums has me hooked.

There must be some subliminal code in the site somewhere drawing me in.

I even went to bed last night pondering a thread i wasnt even involved in and laid there wandering if anyone had posted something new, so i got up made a coffee and logged back in to see, alas there wasnt, but then i got sidetracked in another thread.

hats off to this forum, its moderators, the guidelines and rules (some i have been borderline with since joining as these are what keep the forums what they are, a safe place for your kids to grow up and play in LOL

Thanks guys and long may my Ubuntu Forum morning paper be delivered.

Peace

NightwishFan
June 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Glad to have you here. I hope to see you around. :)

TBABill
June 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
I do the same thing. I log in early in the morning, throughout the day if I get the time and then again in the evenings. I'm also no warrior Ubuntu-er, but I do what I can to help others and learn more myself. It's just a friendly place to share knowledge and absorb.

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I do the same thing. I log in early in the morning, throughout the day if I get the time and then again in the evenings. I'm also no warrior Ubuntu-er, but I do what I can to help others and learn more myself. It's just a friendly place to share knowledge and absorb.

the Chuck Norris of Operating Systems and the Sun lounger and daiquiri of forums ;-)

el_koraco
June 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I thought there were only Kubuntu Ninjas?

misterbiskits
June 23rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
I browse through the forums every day, too.

fyfe54
June 23rd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Usually a couple of times each day. As relatively new Ubuntu user, it ia a great way to learn.

collisionystm
June 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
Hi, my name is Collisionystm and I am an Ubuntu Addict.

wewantutopia
June 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
I do. I'm eating my breakfast as I type.

I love when people post and then discuss links to articles from fields never would have learned about on my own.

Thanx folks!

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hi, my name is Collisionystm and I am an Ubuntu Addict.

I'm not an addict, No no, really, really, listen, listen to this. I got in trouble with my computer, right, okay, and my lawyer told the judge that I'm an addict,
but I'm not addicted to my computer! No really, really, takes another drag of cigarette. I'm not an addict. I'm not, I'm not. Downs his coffee. Can I get some more coffee?

I'm not an addict :-)

lovinglinux
June 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I am just like you. I also have been addicted since the 80's and nowadays the Ubuntu Forums is the site I visit the most.

I check rss feed whenever I have free time and usually browse the forum to rest my mind when I can't solve a programming issue.

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I am just like you. I also have been addicted since the 80's and nowadays the Ubuntu Forums is the site I visit the most.

I check rss feed whenever I have free time and usually browse the forum to rest my mind when I can't solve a programming issue.

I think it is the philosophy/meaning behind the word "Ubuntu" itself. Alot of places online, especially technical related forums though are there to help, often hinder. There is so much arrogance in the forums out there and i see so many people ask questions (perfectly viable ones) and get scared away by too much information given or just plain arrogance. Saying that i was accused of being pedantic on here yesterday and i certainly wasnt trying to be (chat and text without expression etc can often be misunderstood) and so sometimes something said can come across the wrong way or taken the wrong way.

The "Ubuntu" we talk of is defintately present here in this forum, everyone is very helpful and you feel part of a community right away, we are who we are because of how everyone else is

Ubuntu....the Unagi of community (and i dont mean salmon skin roll....LOL

lmsg2011
June 23rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
I'm sort of an ubuntu Newbie. I'm also an Ubuntu Forums Newbie too, having only just signed up today. But, I've already come back to the forums 5 or 6 times in the last few hours, to see what people have to say. Also, being a bit of a newbie, it's a great place to learn new things and find out what it all means.

I haven't been joined long enough to see if i'll be treating it as my morning paper. I'm guessing I'll see if that happens tomorrow morning. :)

NightwishFan
June 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm sort of an ubuntu Newbie. I'm also an Ubuntu Forums Newbie too, having only just signed up today.

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums. :)

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm sort of an ubuntu Newbie. I'm also an Ubuntu Forums Newbie too, having only just signed up today. But, I've already come back to the forums 5 or 6 times in the last few hours, to see what people have to say. Also, being a bit of a newbie, it's a great place to learn new things and find out what it all means.

I haven't been joined long enough to see if i'll be treating it as my morning paper. I'm guessing I'll see if that happens tomorrow morning. :)

you will be assimilated, not if but when LOL ;-)

radar920
June 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
I consider my bookmarks bar to be my morning paper, i just go down the list and check all of them out.

cgroza
June 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Logging here, checking the Programming Talk and Games section is the first thing I do, every day!

user1397
June 23rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
first thing I do when I turn my computer on is check my email and browse the ubuntuforums community cafe (my bookmark is actually the cafe, not the index page hehe)

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
first thing I do when I turn my computer on is check my email and browse the ubuntuforums community cafe (my bookmark is actually the cafe, not the index page hehe)

ha well the first of my 3 tabs opens autmoatically to the index of new posts, then the second tab is google/ig

however i dont move to either of the next 2 tabs until ive caught up on the forums, i definately visit the community cafe for a morning brew though LOL

uRock
June 23rd, 2011, 11:46 PM
I grab some coffee, then check out UF, then FaceScan, then I visit...

...the coffee maker for another cup of Hakuna Matata.

Thewhistlingwind
June 24th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I've had an internet bulletin board addiction since I was eight. Funny how one goes from being a troll to an actual participant.

lmsg2011
June 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu Forums. :)

Thanks !!

lmsg2011
June 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM
you will be assimilated, not if but when LOL ;-)

You're right. Infact I think it's already happening. Oh, and I logged onto the forums this morning, one of the first things I did, although it was after putting the kettle on :)

haqking
June 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM
You're right. Infact I think it's already happening. Oh, and I logged onto the forums this morning, one of the first things I did, although it was after putting the kettle on :)

ha wont be long until you buy a coffee maker that is also an alarm clock and so solves the kettle issue...LOL

sffvba[e0rt
June 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM
When it becomes a slow day I am aggressively scouring UF and a whole host of Linux News sites for some interesting morsels... Sometimes I even have Google real-time search open on keyword "ubuntu" just to catch the next interesting article :p

lmsg2011
June 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM
ha wont be long until you buy a coffee maker that is also an alarm clock and so solves the kettle issue...LOL

I like the idea.. hadn't thought of that.. something for my list this weekend :)

BrokenKingpin
June 24th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I usually check it out once a day (sometimes more)... keeps me updated in the world of Linux.