PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu and Kubuntu 6.06 CDs available from today!

Christmas
May 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM
You can order now Ubuntu and Kubuntu Dapper CDs at ShipIt! I was checking their site every day and now it's available for pre-ordering. For Kubuntu you have to order from http://www.kubuntu.com. Reading that I just felt like nice music to my ears hehe. I ordered 5 Ubuntu and 5 Kubuntu for i386 but I don't know if I'll use the Ubuntu ones. Just in case and anyway I'm gonna give to friends.

zachtib
May 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM
it doesn't seem that I can order both ubuntu and kubuntu. i ordered the ubuntu ones, but when i got to kubuntu, the order button says "Change Order" and it lists my ubuntu order at the top

jedimasterk
May 19th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Same thing happened to me. I wanted to order one Ubuntu and one Kubuntu CD (PC version). And maybe one 64bit version of each as well, but for now you can only order one of each. I hope this changes soon.

dralaroc
May 19th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Outstanding...I am giving away my last ubuntu cd to some new guy at work. We got to talking about pc's and told him I was running linux (dapper) on one of my machines. He was alittle hesitant at first, but after I did a little explaining he said "what the heck" I will give it a shot!

mstlyevil
May 19th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I just ordered 8 Ubuntu CD's, 1 PPC CD, and 1 64bit CD.

Christmas
May 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Hmmm... First I ordered 5 Ubuntu and after that the "Change Order" button appeared but I simply closed the window. Then the same with Kubuntu... as far as I remember when I ordered Ubuntu Breezy CDs the "Change Order" button appeared too, but everything was allright, they shipped. I don't think it makes sense to block users from ordering both Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

unbuntu
May 19th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Ordered 10...it wasn't available even yesterday when I checked

jason.b.c
May 19th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Ordered 10...it wasn't available even yesterday when I checked

Yea, I noticed that too..

They took away the " Reason for asking " field box.. I made my choice and clicked on Request CD's button, is that it now.??

Hope i did it right .. wasn't sure last time but i got 'em any way..

K.Mandla
May 19th, 2006, 05:48 AM
I ordered the 8-1-1 pack. I can hardly wait! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

onesojourner
May 19th, 2006, 06:02 AM
I have been checking every day since about the 7th. 10 on the way here. I ran out of my breezy cds real quick.

RAV TUX
May 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Just ordered 8-1-1 pack of Ubuntu Dapper CD's !

Simply Awesome !

:mrgreen:

zugu
May 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Let me get it: is it the beta version of Dapper or the one that should be oficially released in approx. two weeks?

Later edit: now I see it says "preorder" :D

Later later edit: where in the ShipIt account do I choose between Breezy and Dapper? Or Breezy isn't shipped anymore?

Christmas
May 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Breezy isn't shipped anymore. You just pre-order the Dapper ones. Shipping the beta ones would be totally waste of money, who wants to try them can download them.

sharperguy
May 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I would prefer to be able to order muticle 64bit/mac disks as i put here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=178875

WebDrake
May 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
it doesn't seem that I can order both ubuntu and kubuntu. i ordered the ubuntu ones, but when i got to kubuntu, the order button says "Change Order" and it lists my ubuntu order at the top
You can order both. The change made to the order is that you are adding Kubuntu CDs to what you already have.

BarfBag
May 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
5 Ubuntu, 5 Kubuntu

I'm curious about something. Do the Mac CD's also support the newer Intel Macs? Not that I care, really. :rolleyes:

IYY
May 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
An 8-1-1 pack. I already promised a copy to a mac-using friend, and my 5 breezy CD's were given away in a matter of days. I just hope 10 is enough...

skinnygmg
May 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
You can order both. The change made to the order is that you are adding Kubuntu CDs to what you already have.

thanks WebDrake :mrgreen:

Christmas
May 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Yep that's true. So I ordered both 5 and 5 and when I saw the Change Request button I just closed the window. Looking today on ShipIt on the kubuntu site I saw this:
Current Request Details

5 Ubuntu CDs for PC
5 Kubuntu CDs for PC

and after this the Cancel Request button. So everything is all right, you can order both, after the order just close the window, there is no need to press Change Request.

mostwanted
May 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM
5 Ubuntu, 5 Kubuntu

I'm curious about something. Do the Mac CD's also support the newer Intel Macs? Not that I care, really. :rolleyes:

No. The Mac CDs are for PowerPC processors (found in Mac, Pegasos, and other PPC computers).

The Intel Macs would ideally work with the x86 CDs, but unfortunately Apple totally neglects the existance of other OSes than Mac OS X and Windows XP.

naglis
May 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I ordered 5 Ubuntu CD's, but i'll download Dapper CD on 1 June

WebDrake
May 24th, 2006, 11:05 AM
So everything is all right, you can order both, after the order just close the window, there is no need to press Change Request.
Er... Why not press the "Change Request" button? It just adds the Kubuntu CDs to your order.

LORD_PoLvO
May 24th, 2006, 11:18 AM
yay 10 on the way to me :) i went thru 40 ubuntu cds (breezy) lol and most of the ppl i gave them to stil use linux now :)

catlett
May 24th, 2006, 11:30 AM
FYI (even that may be cryptic to some, for your information)
The base system is the same for kubuntu and ubuntu. The only difference is the default window manager. You can have ubuntu and install the kubuntu desktop . When you log in you choose which session you want Gnome or KDE
If you have Ubuntu and want Kubuntu enter
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
If you are in kubuntu and want ubuntu as well enter
sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

If you are in the position where you have an ubuntu cd but want kubuntu installed without loading ubuntu first, it can easily be done.
Choose the "server" install. This won't install a window manager. When you reboot after the install of the server system you will only get a command line enter
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop After that is installed you will have kubuntu.
The same goes for having a kubuntu disk but wanting to only install ubuntu. Just enter
sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop at the command line when you reboot after installing the server base.

dabear
May 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM
catlett, please replace apt-get with "aptitude" in your "howto" above, it makes it a lot easier to remove all packages included with the (ku|u|xu)buntu metapackages if you don't wanna keep them any more