PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which Hash to use for TrueCrypt?

nrundy
June 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
TrueCrypt offers 3 hashes for use: RIPEMD-160, SHA-512, WHIRLPOOL.

What do most people use? How does one go about deciding which one is appropriate for them? Do they differ in security or performance?

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
TrueCrypt offers 3 hashes for use: RIPEMD-160, SHA-512, WHIRLPOOL.

What do most people use? How does one go about deciding which one is appropriate for them? Do they differ in security or performance?

Well Whirlpool is the youngest but based on AES, SHA i dont trust cause of the NSA's involvement ;-) (Joke)

They are all trusted, the main concern is performance really which comes down to container type really.

I dont use ut but i would probably choose Whirlpool or RIPEMD

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
here is some information for you

http://www.kellermansoftware.com/t-articlestrongesthash.aspx

BkkBonanza
June 23rd, 2011, 04:13 AM
I usually use SHA-512 but if you don't trust the NSA involvement it's probably just as well to use one of the others. All three are secure as far as public knowledge is concerned.

Dangertux
June 23rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
SHA512. IMO, but I used to work for NSA lol.. No seriously.

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 11:27 AM
SHA512. IMO, but I used to work for NSA lol.. No seriously.

You guys are everywhere ;-)

Dangertux
June 23rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
LOL -- I was nothing special, I only worked for them because I happened to be a crypto-analyst in the US Army (alot of NSA gets drafted out of the Army community for some reason).

However, I work in the private sector now -- they expect results here lol ...

haqking
June 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
LOL -- I was nothing special, I only worked for them because I happened to be a crypto-analyst in the US Army (alot of NSA gets drafted out of the Army community for some reason).

However, I work in the private sector now -- they expect results here lol ...

ha yeah i hear ya. I am sort of related to someone very similar in background ;-)

crispy_420
June 24th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Want to be extra paranoid. Truecrypt is US based and hosted in US so anything they do requires the government for "export".

haqking
June 24th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Want to be extra paranoid. Truecrypt is US based and hosted in US so anything they do requires the government for "export".

Well i mean i am not one to stir paranoia (ha ha ha, love it)

but

http://www.privacylover.com/encryption/analysis-is-there-a-backdoor-in-truecrypt-is-truecrypt-a-cia-honeypot/ ;-)