PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PDF Chain ERROR: PDFTK PDFTK returns an error

baumtopf
June 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hello Ubuntu Users,

I get following problem. I installed PDF Chain with Ubuntu Software Center. But if I merge these PDF - Files often this error message comes:

PDF Chain ERROR: PDFTK PDFTK returns an error

and then the PDF - Files are no merged.

Alternativ I used PDFTK to merge these files. But then this Error message comes

baumtopf@ubuntu:~$ cd Desktop/test baumtopf@ubuntu:~/Desktop/test$ pdftk aaa.pdf bbb.pdf ccc.pdf ddd.pdf eee.pdf fff.pdf ggg.pdf cat output gesamt.pdf Unhandled Java Exception: Unhandled Java Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException at gnu.gcj.runtime.NameFinder.lookup(libgcj.so.11) at java.lang.VMThrowable.getStackTrace(libgcj.so.11) at java.lang.Throwable.getStackTrace(libgcj.so.11) at java.lang.Throwable.stackTraceString(libgcj.so.11) at java.lang.Throwable.printStackTrace(libgcj.so.11) at java.lang.Throwable.printStackTrace(libgcj.so.11) baumtopf@ubuntu:~/Desktop/test$
This error is for me unpretictable. I cannot explain when this error comes and when not. I thought my pdf files are too large, because one file of these is often bigger than 1 MB. But this was not the reason, because later I merged new PDF files and they are also bigger than 1 MB.

Alternativ I used PDF Shuffler. And with this programme I could merge these. But I would like to use PDF Chain or at least PDFTK, because they have more options. What can I do to solve this problem?

Regard Juergen

baumtopf
June 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hello Ubuntu Users,

perhaps you don't understand my problem with PDF-Files, so I created a video and uploaded on youtube.
Please watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8KYtwC8tDY

Error message again:

Unhandled Java Exception:
Unhandled Java Exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at gnu.gcj.runtime.NameFinder.lookup(NameFinder.java: 201)
at java.lang.VMThrowable.getStackTrace(natVMThrowable .cc:44)
at java.lang.Throwable.getStackTrace(Throwable.java:5 24)
at java.lang.Throwable.stackTraceString(Throwable.jav a:419)
at java.lang.Throwable.printStackTrace(Throwable.java :365)
at java.lang.Throwable.printStackTrace(Throwable.java :354)

I get a trying to solve this problem from this soure:

http://fossplanet.com/f10/%5Bbug-779908%5D-%5Bnew%5D-pdftk-fails-output-option-161767/

I tried to set the output into other directory where the input files are not stay. But it doesn't solve this problem

Do unterstand someone this following soure?:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcj-4.5/+bug/779908

Maybe someone understand this soure and can show how to solve my problem.

I set also pictures in the attachments. Please take a look at these pictures

Please help to solve my problem!

Regards, Juergen

baumtopf
June 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hello Ubuntu users,

Do you understand my problems?
No ideas?
Is the problem too difficult?

Please answer!

Regards, Juergen

joneberger
February 23rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
I'm currently having the same error. Only mine is taking place when trying to separate the pages.

Did you arrive at a solution? I'll keep you posted if I come to a solution.

Jon

ledjazz
September 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hi there,

I am having the same issue with PDF CHAIN. The trick I use is that I work only with files located on my Desktop, and it works perfectly. The bugg may indeed be related to the string length of the file name/location (just a guess).

Hope this helps solve your problem as for me.

Ciao.
Francois