PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in petitioning the mozilla foundation for some sanity?

Dustin2128
June 22nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
I read today that firefox 4 is EOL. It practically came out yesterday! Firefox 5 is now current, and they've got 6 and 7 in the pipeline, 8 in development. This is an idiotically fast release/obsolescence cycle that drives away existing plugin developers, really pisses off distro maintainers, and basically gives the finger to the existing user base. Being a foundation, I figure they might respond to a petition more than, say, microsoft. So if I wrote one, would anyone be interested in passing it around? I'm just seeing if I have popular support before I take the time.

castrojo
June 22nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
Just pretend 5.0 is 4.0.1 and you'll be fine.

The Firefox team at Ubuntu has been working to fit with this model for quite some time now, and in the end it gets fixes out to users faster, so I don't see what the problem is.

Sure it'll take some extension developers time to adapt, but they adapt just fine for Chrome extensions, I don't see how Firefox would be any different.

christopher.wortman
June 22nd, 2011, 11:14 PM
After playing with version 5, it works with all my addons lol

KiwiNZ
June 22nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
I upgraded to 5 with out any Add on issues. I do not see an issue with is at all. In IT change is the only constant so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone including Developers etc.

Dustin2128
June 23rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
Hrm, guess not. I'm using firefox 5, but this whole version number nonsense is going to kill firefox if developers don't adapt- works better for chrome since it was designed from the ground up for that stuff, but for most people it's [plugins probably break].[fair likelihood of plugins breaking].[probably little to no breakage]. Not to mention EoLing major version numbers- so many people will be running without patches firefox'd be a security nightmare on an improperly maintained system (read: most systems).

handy
June 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
All my Extensions work fine.

I think it is a good idea, as already mentioned we will see Firefox updates much more often now, which has to be a good thing for all users.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
June 23rd, 2011, 01:56 AM
I'm fine with it. Firefox 4 needed a little TLC in my opinion. Bring on the updates!

Lucradia
Firefox 5 is in the update manager through security updates / ubuntu updates, just so people know. :|

I only use greasemonkey and AdBlockPlus.

3Miro
I don't think there is anything special for the developers to do, the only difference seems to be the new numbering scheme. That is, they come up with large new numbers and virtually no new features.

Lucradia
June 23rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
I don't think there is anything special for the developers to do, the only difference seems to be the new numbering scheme. That is, they come up with large new numbers and virtually no new features.

What's worse is that places like CNET News, etc. falsify the new feature list, saying that the "Do Not Track" feature is "new" to Firefox 5" (it doesn't even say that it's "new to the privacy section," it just says new to firefox 5.)

When the do not track was in firefox 4, AND visibly so in the settings, just not with a border around it at the top of the privacy settings. (CNET said that it is new, "visibly" in firefox 5.)

SoFl W
June 23rd, 2011, 02:05 AM
I read today that firefox 4 is EOL.

EOL is end of life, as in no longer supported. FF 4 will still be supported and they are planning on releasing up to FF7 this year. I didn't like FF4, I am still using FF3, some people feel they must have the latest, other can live. Although I think it is foolish, don't get too worried about it, it is only a number.

To let you know.... v.3.6.18, released June 21st, 2011 They are still updating V3.6

sammiev
June 23rd, 2011, 02:35 AM
I like change and so far Firefox seems to have pulled it off. I welcome there on coming releases. GL :)

cgroza
June 23rd, 2011, 02:48 AM
After playing with version 5, it works with all my addons lol
It broke my Firemacs, which made me to discover the more powerful Vimperator :).

screaminj3sus
June 23rd, 2011, 05:04 AM
There is nothing wrong with the new release model, I am so sick of this hyperbolic idiocy. Just update to firefox 5.

Its just a goddamn version number.

If it wasn't called firefox "5" this thread would look even more ridiculous:
"Firefox 4.0 is eol, they expect me to update to firefox 4.5!"

/rant

Dustin2128
June 23rd, 2011, 05:11 AM
EOL is end of life, as in no longer supported. FF 4 will still be supported and they are planning on releasing up to FF7 this year. I didn't like FF4, I am still using FF3, some people feel they must have the latest, other can live. Although I think it is foolish, don't get too worried about it, it is only a number.

To let you know.... v.3.6.18, released June 21st, 2011 They are still updating V3.6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox#Release_history
Did not know they were still releasing 3.6.x series though. The main problem is addon developers that aren't adapting, and have their addons set to not work with version x + 1, but that will be solved soon. I still think it's a problem, but obviously nobody else does, so thread solved.

c-1000
June 23rd, 2011, 05:15 AM
Nigel Tufnel (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/): The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001661/): Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/): Exactly.
Marty DiBergi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001661/): Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/): Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001661/): I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/): Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001661/): Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/): Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001661/): Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001302/): [pause] These go to eleven. /spinaltap

Macskeeball
June 23rd, 2011, 05:55 AM
/spinaltap
Well, Chrome already goes to 12.

lovinglinux
June 23rd, 2011, 06:37 AM

Firefox 4 reached en-of-life with the release of Firefox 5. There are no updates planned for Firefox 4 in the pipeline. Essentially, Firefox has become a "rolling distribution". However, Firefox 3.6.x still fits the old model and will continue to be supported for some time. Firefox 3.5 will be retired soon.

I read today that firefox 4 is EOL. It practically came out yesterday! Firefox 5 is now current, and they've got 6 and 7 in the pipeline, 8 in development. This is an idiotically fast release/obsolescence cycle that drives away existing plugin developers, really pisses off distro maintainers, and basically gives the finger to the existing user base. Being a foundation, I figure they might respond to a petition more than, say, microsoft. So if I wrote one, would anyone be interested in passing it around? I'm just seeing if I have popular support before I take the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox#Release_history
Did not know they were still releasing 3.6.x series though. The main problem is addon developers that aren't adapting, and have their addons set to not work with version x + 1, but that will be solved soon. I still think it's a problem, but obviously nobody else does, so thread solved.

Mozilla is working hard to ensure the transition is painless as possible. For instance, they implemented an automatic version compatibility bump for add-ons. The system inspects all extensions code in AMO to determine if they have any incompatibility with the new Firefox version, once the first beta is released. If no compatibilities are found, then the add-on is automatically marked as compatible with the latest Beta. If incompatibilities are found, the developer is informed by e-mail and they even provide instructions on how to solve the incompatibility. I have received those warnings a long time ago and already updated my add-ons to be compatible Firefox 7. Additionally, when you upload a new version of an add-on to AMO site, there are several security and compatibilities tests performed before adding the new add-on version. Similarly, these alerts usually provide information on how to solve the problems.

So, if there was plenty of time and resources for add-on developers to adapt. According to Mozilla the majority of the most popular add-ons are already updated (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/compatibility/report) and many already work with Firefox 7. The main issue is in regard to extensions that are not distributed via AMO site or those with casual developers, which has the habit of updating their extensions only after a new version is out for several months.

Chrome was designed with this model from the ground up and the extensions are less prone to incompatibilities, because they are web widgets. However, Mozilla recently released a new Add-on SDK and an online builder for startless add-ons (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/builder), that are similar to Chrome. Add-ons created with this new SDK will not suffer the same compatibility issues like regular XUL extensions and don't require browser restart after instalation.

Bottom line, there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that you are not aware of. Mozilla is not doing things on a whim and giving the finger to it's users. In fact they are working very hard to solve many issues while providing the best experience to users and developers.

I was also skeptical about this release model at first, but the way they are doing things, it was actually much less painful than I expected.

BTW, I have 55 add-ons installed and only 5 are not compatible with Firefox 5. Nevertheless, they all work with compatibility check disabled.

Please refer to Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712247) for support with the new versions of Firefox and how to deal with add-ons issues.

Artemis3
June 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
It would make more sense, if they just switched to dates, same as ubuntu: year, month, day.

conehead77
June 23rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
If the version number is the only thing to complain about, Firefox 5 really is the perfect browser ;)

alexan
June 23rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Today I had just the regular Firefox with all my addons disabled.
Not a problem at all, I just use Firefox for an indirect propose (cast news for public through an external monitor and scrollyfox). I just switched back to 4 and blocked the package (untill scrollyfox don't get update or I found a decent addon alike for opera/chrome)

RoflHaxBbq
June 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm still using FF3.

lovinglinux
June 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'm still using FF3.

I hope you are using 3.6.x because Firefox 3 is not supported for a long time, which means security risk.

forrestcupp
June 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just pretend 5.0 is 4.0.1 and you'll be fine.
What you're saying is exactly right, but version 4.0.1 just looks better than version 401. At this rate, it won't be long before we get to version 401.

4.0.1 makes it look like you're releasing minor changes and bug fixes, which is what they're doing. Version 401 makes it look like you screwed up 400 times and had to release a whole new version each time you screwed up.

screaminj3sus
June 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
4.0.1 makes it look like you're releasing minor changes and bug fixes, which is what they're doing. Version 401 makes it look like you screwed up 400 times and had to release a whole new version each time you screwed up.

Umm, no it doesn't.

The ridiculousness of these posts bitching about a freaking VERSION NUMBER continue to astound me.

nrundy
June 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Count me out.

I think Mozilla's rapid release was much needed to compete with Chrome. Plus it gets new features to the users sooner.

cgroza
June 23rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
I really like this new system.

DZ*
June 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
The ridiculousness of these posts bitching about a freaking VERSION NUMBER continue to astound me.

It astounds me to see people get astounded by unimportant things ;)

June 23rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
My previous Add-ons and Plug-ins have no problems with FF5.
Chrome fails to render certain buttons, making me unable to send certain on-line messages.
Oh well.

forrestcupp
June 23rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Umm, no it doesn't.

I'm all for the new rapid release system, but running through version numbers that fast is going to start looking ridiculous in a few years. Maybe they'll change their versioning system before it gets to that, though.

You really don't think "Firefox 57" sounds kind of exaggerated? If they keep releasing new versions every couple of months, it will only take around 8 years to get there.

Rasa1111
June 23rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
It astounds me to see people get astounded by unimportant things ;)

ahhaha! :lolflag:

+1 :KS

lovinglinux
June 23rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, just a bad joke.

SilverWave
June 23rd, 2011, 08:36 PM

No because they have got it right :-)

This whole new fast release change, has breathed a new lease of life into to Firefox development.

I was surprised by the security support stop for ff4, but it makes a lot of sense once I gave it some thought, you concentrate your efforts on the main game instead of wasting them on yesterdays tech.

The add-on issue is being addressed in the short-term by auto bumping all working add-ons.

Long term Jetpack and other initiatives will sort this out.

Well done Mozilla, Well done.

Note:
Oh and all my add-ons (30+) work fine.
One is marked as incompatible but it still works if I use Add-on Compatibility Reporter.

Just a final thought...
We used to get very few firefox updates and we received them late...
Under the new model this is no longer the case.
This is a big win for Linux firefox users.

timZZ
June 24th, 2011, 01:40 AM
They are competing ... Do you not want firefox to win?

RoflHaxBbq
June 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Upgraded to FF5 yesterday.
It's just like FF4, except they crossed out the 4 and wrote 5.

Somehow that seems totally worth it.

SilverWave
June 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Upgraded to FF5 yesterday.
It's just like FF4, except they crossed out the 4 and wrote 5.

Somehow that seems totally worth it.

Well to be fair there was a lot of under the hood changes but basically you are correct...

But :-D

This was the first update under the new fast release paradigm and was deliberately kept small as it was meant to test the backend changes that were required to enable such a system.

In future we will see as much change as 3.6 to 4... but we will get the individual changes as soon as they are ready instead of having to wait until all the changes are finished after a year or two.

Win Win.

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Well to be fair there was a lot of under the hood changes but basically you are correct...

But :-D

This was the first update under the new fast release paradigm and was deliberately meant to test the backend changes that were required to enable such a system.

In future we will see as much change as 3.6 to 4... but we will get the individual changes as soon as they are ready instead of having to wait until all the changes are finished after a year or two.

Win Win.

There was also Javascript engine improvements. On my tests, FF 5 is 20% faster than FF 4, although I can perceive much difference.

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Another interesting article found by SilverWave:

http://www.oxymoronical.com/blog/2011/06/Why-do-Firefox-updates-break-add-ons

rolnics
June 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Another interesting article found by SilverWave:

http://www.oxymoronical.com/blog/2011/06/Why-do-Firefox-updates-break-add-ons

+1
Just looking at this thread, before I posted that link! Makes things alot clearer.

Merk42
June 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM
So Ubuntu's .04 releases should be more of a major release than its .10 release. Something like 11.10 is just .06 more than its predecessor when 11.04 was a whole new version number!

You really don't think "Firefox 57" sounds kind of exaggerated? If they keep releasing new versions every couple of months, it will only take around 8 years to get there.It's like Chrome, hardly anyway says "I'm running Chrome 12, 13, etc", they just say they run Chrome.
Mozilla would like the same thing with Firefox.

SeijiSensei
June 26th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Has Mozilla decided to abandon the enterprise market? (http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/06/24/2048217/Microsoft-Exploits-Firefox-4-Uproar-Beats-IE-Drum)

Version numbers matter to CIOs and senior IT staffs. Quickly ending the lifespan of releases matter even more. I feel sorry for IT people who successfully pressured executives to let them roll out Firefox to their user base. Now they'll be faced with questions about why they advocated installing an unstable browser with no guarantees of long-term support or security updates instead of Internet Explorer.

Merk42
June 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Has Mozilla decided to abandon the enterprise market? (http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/06/24/2048217/Microsoft-Exploits-Firefox-4-Uproar-Beats-IE-Drum)

Version numbers matter to CIOs and senior IT staffs. Quickly ending the lifespan of releases matter even more. I feel sorry for IT people who successfully pressured executives to let them roll out Firefox to their user base. Now they'll be faced with questions about why they advocated installing an unstable browser with no guarantees of long-term support or security updates instead of Internet Explorer.
IE6 4 lyfe yo

Mozilla never really focused on the corporate user, if they did they would have supplied an MSI installer years ago.

Gremlinzzz
June 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Tracking box to check says
Tell web sites I do not want to be tracked.
Why do I feel thats like telling a pack of wolfs please don't eat me.:)

Spr0k3t
June 26th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I say the petition needs to be sent to Microsoft rather than Mozilla, and changed to the fact that Microsoft needs to ditch IE6 and IE7 and make only IE8 the last one supported until the death of XP. An addendum also should be added for Microsoft to follow industry standards rather than trying to fracture the market even further than what they have done.

Rasa1111
June 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Tracking box to check says
Tell web sites I do not want to be tracked.
Why do I feel thats like telling a pack of wolfs please don't eat me.:)

Because,
it practically is. lol :p

Macskeeball
June 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I say the petition needs to be sent to Microsoft rather than Mozilla, and changed to the fact that Microsoft needs to ditch IE6 and IE7 and make only IE8 the last one supported until the death of XP. An addendum also should be added for Microsoft to follow industry standards rather than trying to fracture the market even further than what they have done.

IE6 was awful, but MS has improved since then. IE9 is a lot more standards compliant, and with Windows 8 will make a big push for HTML5. It's the basis for the new touch-based UI. They could have chosen Silverlight for that, but instead they went with an open standard.

Zerocool Djx
June 26th, 2011, 09:31 PM
My personal problem about Firefox is the fact that you got a lot of hard working people trying to make add-ons and now your going to have compatability issues up the ying-yang. I would much rather have a STABLE release of ANYTHING Vs. having ANYTHING released every 6 months. Once a year is fine. The faster you produce anything, the more bugs are going to be let out into the world. I am fed up installing crap, half A** programs put together from someone with ADD who thinks it's more important to announce to the world they produce crap, then soemone who has devised a well thought out plan and makes an effort to fix bug before releases. I already have several add-ons that don't work with Firefox 5. What drove me more nuts is that Firefox auto updated it's self. So what do I do? Uninstall it and try to find a Version 4 again? Reinstall everything? This sounds like the beginning stages of explorer before the ultimate implosion of people not using it. Someone in the open source community needs to talk some sense to the developing world about this. The mindset behind this is just stupid.

So yea, add me in on the petition!

wolfen69
June 26th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Umm, no it doesn't.

You're not a noob around here, it shouldn't surprise you. People are up in arms anytime anything changes.

Dustin2128
June 26th, 2011, 09:52 PM
So Ubuntu's .04 releases should be more of a major release than its .10 release. Something like 11.10 is just .06 more than its predecessor when 11.04 was a whole new version number!

It's like Chrome, hardly anyway says "I'm running Chrome 12, 13, etc", they just say they run Chrome.
Mozilla would like the same thing with Firefox.
Needless to say, ubuntu's "version numbers" are just the year and month the particular version was released. By that merit, Arch 2010.5 is the most advanced operating system on the planet. Well, by other merits too.... ;)

lovinglinux
June 26th, 2011, 11:47 PM
My personal problem about Firefox is the fact that you got a lot of hard working people trying to make add-ons and now your going to have compatability issues up the ying-yang. I would much rather have a STABLE release of ANYTHING Vs. having ANYTHING released every 6 months. Once a year is fine. The faster you produce anything, the more bugs are going to be let out into the world. I am fed up installing crap, half A** programs put together from someone with ADD who thinks it's more important to announce to the world they produce crap, then soemone who has devised a well thought out plan and makes an effort to fix bug before releases. I already have several add-ons that don't work with Firefox 5. What drove me more nuts is that Firefox auto updated it's self. So what do I do? Uninstall it and try to find a Version 4 again? Reinstall everything? This sounds like the beginning stages of explorer before the ultimate implosion of people not using it. Someone in the open source community needs to talk some sense to the developing world about this. The mindset behind this is just stupid.

So yea, add me in on the petition!

Please read this article (http://www.oxymoronical.com/blog/2011/06/Why-do-Firefox-updates-break-add-ons). Very clarifying.

A couple of posts back (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10970650&postcount=18) I mentioned that I use about 55 add-ons and only 5 were not compatible with FF 5, but they all work with compatibility check disabled. Since then, new versions has been released already and now only 2 are not compatible, one of which hasn't been updated since FF 3.6 and looks like abandonware.

The thing is, after a developer updates an add-on, it needs to be reviewed by Mozilla before going public. This process takes about a week. But you can find the new versions under review, by simply adding /versions/ to the add-on url on Mozilla site.

BTW, I am a developer of a few add-ons and they are all compatible with FF 7 already and if you look at the Add-on Compatibility Center (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/compatibility/report), you will see that many popular add-ons are too.

Thewhistlingwind
June 27th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Trust me, if I lived in silicon valley I'd drive down right this minute.
(http://www.conceivablytech.com/8091/business/firefox-alienates-corporate-users)

lovinglinux
June 29th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Trust me, if I lived in silicon valley I'd drive down right this minute.
(http://www.conceivablytech.com/8091/business/firefox-alienates-corporate-users)

An update:

http://www.conceivablytech.com/8157/business/firefox-not-leaving-businesses-behind

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/06/28/firefox-in-the-enterprise/

Dustin2128
June 29th, 2011, 03:27 AM
An update:

http://www.conceivablytech.com/8157/business/firefox-not-leaving-businesses-behind

Yeah, it was really just some idiot trying to sell his personal opinion as mozilla's.

lovinglinux
June 29th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Yeah, it was really just some idiot trying to sell his personal opinion as mozilla's.

The person who made the initial comment is the new Firefox Product Manager.

Please let's not forget about the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

lovinglinux
June 30th, 2011, 09:28 PM
After one week of release, Firefox 5 is listed with a market share of 10.78%, which translates to about 38.5% of Firefox’ entire user base.

See more interesting info at http://www.conceivablytech.com/8186/products/firefox-5-a-success-for-mozilla

ScionicSpectre
June 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM
What are corporate users doing in a web browser anyway? They need to get back to work! D:

But seriously, I'm both shocked at Mozilla and the users who are so worried about this. I mean, this change is little more than semantic.

Dustin2128
July 1st, 2011, 12:39 AM
After one week of release, Firefox 5 is listed with a market share of 10.78%, which translates to about 38.5% of Firefox’ entire user base.

See more interesting info at http://www.conceivablytech.com/8186/products/firefox-5-a-success-for-mozilla
Firefox 4 is last time I checked higher than that. Imagine all the people who are using a browser receiving no security updates.

lovinglinux
July 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM
Firefox 4 is last time I checked higher than that.

Probably, but what the article says is that the number of users who upgraded to Firefox 5 in the first week of release is higher than the number of users who upgraded in the first week of release of Firefox 4 and Firefox 3.6.

From that viewpoint, it appears that Firefox 5 has already accomplished what it was supposed to do: Create a scenario for rapid releases and a new browser version every 6 weeks. To do so effectively, Mozilla needed to transition its users much faster than it did with previous versions. According to data provided by StatCounter, that actually happened. After one week of availability, Firefox 5 was listed with a market share of 10.78%, which translates to about 38.5% of Firefox’ entire user base. Firefox 4 had only 5.34% of share after one week, or about 18.0% of the Firefox user base. Firefox 3.6 was even slower, capturing only 3.06% market share or 9.6% of the Firefox user base within the first week.

So even with all the negative comments and articles, users are upgrading to Firefox 5 faster than ever.

Imagine all the people who are using a browser receiving no security updates.

On Tuesday, Firefox 4 users started seeing the upgrade offer for Firefox 5 when a pop-up appeared reading: "A security and stability update for Firefox is available. It is strongly suggested that you apply this update for Firefox as soon as possible."

In the offer, the default action was "Update Firefox." Only by clicking the "Ask Later" button or by closing the pop-up can users decline the upgrade.

But some Firefox 4 users may want to opt out of the upgrade, even though that leaves them at risk to exploits of already patched bugs.

http://news4geeks.net/2011/06/22/mozilla-retires-firefox-4-from-security-support/

d3v1150m471c
July 1st, 2011, 04:39 AM
Reasons why I don't do system updates unless it involves security. I'll take a stable system, that I know functions well with my preferences and hardware, over bleeding edge any day. For everything else there's backups :)

Khakilang
July 1st, 2011, 04:51 AM
After an update my Firefox suddenly become version 5. How? I don't know and I thought of downloading it.

life in color
July 1st, 2011, 04:52 AM
firefox = great
chrome = better
chromium = PERFECT

life in color
July 1st, 2011, 04:53 AM
oh yeah and Internet Explorer= "Am I even using a web browser right now?"

Dustin2128
July 1st, 2011, 05:03 AM
After an update my Firefox suddenly become version 5. How? I don't know and I though of downloading it.
The ubuntu firefox repos got better synced with firefox update cycles after the whole rapid release thing took off. One decent side-effect, anyway. Most ubuntu users should be running the latest version.

lovinglinux
July 20th, 2011, 12:59 AM
An update:

Another update on the Enterprise issue:

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/07/19/announing-mozilla-enterprise-user-working-group/

BrokenKingpin
July 20th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I find the numbering quite stupid. Why are they dropping the points and going full versions, it makes no sense. 3 years from now they will be at version 37.

jerenept
July 20th, 2011, 02:57 AM
I find the numbering quite stupid. Why are they dropping the points and going full versions, it makes no sense. 3 years from now they will be at version 37.

It's called "Chrome Version Number Syndrome".

Dustin2128
July 20th, 2011, 03:01 AM
It's called "Chrome Version Number Syndrome".
Hooray, other people are using that phrase!

lovinglinux
August 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM
http://www.conceivablytech.com/8649/business/the-reason-why-chrome-is-gaining-market-share-and-ie-is-not

dniMretsaM
August 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM
firefox = great
chrome = better
chromium = PERFECT

True.
False
Definitely false.

I honestly don't get how people can say Chrome/Chromium is better than Firefox. It's just not!

lovinglinux
August 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
True.
False
Definitely false.

I honestly don't get how people can say Chrome/Chromium is better than Firefox. It's just not!

It is the "browser speed Syndrome".

dniMretsaM
August 4th, 2011, 06:30 PM
It is the "browser speed Syndrome".

Lol I guess. But speed isn't everything. At least not for me. And Opera is faster than Chrome, so shouldn't everybody be using Opera?

IWantFroyo
August 4th, 2011, 06:30 PM
There really isn't anything special about the new Firefox versions. I'm still running 3.6 on Lucid without any problems whatsoever.

dniMretsaM
August 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
There really isn't anything special about the new Firefox versions. I'm still running 3.6 on Lucid without any problems whatsoever.

FF4/FF5 is WAY faster than 3.6! Plus there are a bunch of new features (no tracking, tabs on top, FF button, etc.) I would highly suggest an upgrade. My sister is the same way as you, still running 3.6 (She doesn't even have the latest 3.6 version. Lol.).

lovinglinux
August 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM
FF4/FF5 is WAY faster than 3.6! Plus there are a bunch of new features (no tracking, tabs on top, FF button, etc.) I would highly suggest an upgrade. My sister is the same way as you, still running 3.6 (She doesn't even have the latest 3.6 version. Lol.).

Switch to Tab, App Tabs, Panorama, HTML 5 WebM video, Firefox Sync, new Add-on Manager,less intrusive feedback dialogs, not to mention all the improvements under the hood.

Performance:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/6239812/640/6239812.png (http://picturepush.com/public/6239812)

BTW, I am loving the new fast release model. New features are becoming available much faster. For instance, I am using Firefox 6 and Panorama doesn't load all tabs when you start Firefox, until you click the group, which makes startup a lot faster.

dniMretsaM
August 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Switch to Tab, App Tabs, Panorama, HTML 5 WebM video, Firefox Sync, new Add-on Manager,less intrusive feedback dialogs, not to mention all the improvements under the hood.

Performance:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/6239812/640/6239812.png (http://picturepush.com/public/6239812)

BTW, I am loving the new fast release model. New features are becoming available much faster. For instance, I am using Firefox 6 and Panorama doesn't load all tabs when you start Firefox, until you click the group, which makes startup a lot faster.

What do the numbers actually mean? I know higher is faster, but what are they increments of? And never mind about Opera being faster, old information. Lol, I need to stay up to date with this stuff. And what are the stats for 6 betas?

lovinglinux
August 4th, 2011, 07:25 PM
What do the numbers actually mean? I know higher is faster, but what are they increments of? And never mind about Opera being faster, old information. Lol, I need to stay up to date with this stuff. And what are the stats for 6 betas?

The numbers are points. You need to test yourself and click the Details in the graph to see what they mean. See http://service.futuremark.com

The stats are for my machine only. I need to update the graph. I will do when I have some time.

kaldor
August 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I used to complain about Firefox 4 and 5 being way too slow and unresponsive. I am running the Aurora builds (7a2 right now) and apart from the startup times being WAY too slow still, everything is working great.

This fast release cycle can only improve Firefox.

lovinglinux
August 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Poll: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1818283