PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Indian Languages

baijopjoy
June 22nd, 2011, 07:37 AM
Hello every one,
I am searching for a software/package similar to Baraha(runs on Windows), in which you can type indian languages into any other application like office, text editor, browser text boxes, or even file name fields.
Please suggest me some softwares, and their installation method for ubuntu 11.04
I don't want to translate my entire OS into any other language.
Thanks...

dino99
June 22nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
open synaptic, and into the "quick search" field, type "indian" to check that the language/fonts are installed

baijopjoy
June 23rd, 2011, 03:43 AM
@Dino,
All fonts are installed.
What I require is, to type in an Indian Language, say in this message box.
Or for that matter any of the open windows, where typing is allowed.
Also ability to switch b/w Indian language and English.
Thanks

varunendra
June 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
System > Preferences > Keyboard > 'Layouts' tab > 'Add..' button > (select by country) India > 'Variants' (whatever you like) >> done!

It'll create a keyboard icon on top panel on which you can click to choose input method. The same click > drop down menu also contains the option to - "Show current layout" which you can use to see character mapping on your keyboard (which key types which character).

You may or may not need to start iBus daemon (System > Preferences > Keyboard Input Methods) to switch between input methods.

baijopjoy
June 23rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
system > preferences > keyboard > 'layouts' tab > 'add..' button > (select by country) india > 'variants' (whatever you like) >> done!

It'll create a keyboard icon on top panel on which you can click to choose input method. The same click > drop down menu also contains the option to - "show current layout" which you can use to see character mapping on your keyboard (which key types which character).

You may or may not need to start ibus daemon (system > preferences > keyboard input methods) to switch between input methods.
thanks varun....

tanmay01
May 22nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
I want to add Indian languages to the system. I have installed all the languages but every time i apply them they show English only.
The image says it all.
First is the gnome tweak tool and second the font viewer.
How do i render them and apply system wide... ?

baijopjoy
May 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
I want to add Indian languages to the system. I have installed all the languages but every time i apply them they show English only.
The image says it all.
First is the gnome tweak tool and second the font viewer.
How do i render them and apply system wide... ?

please try the above suggestion by varun

tanmay01
May 22nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
I know the above method but that is for keyboard layout...
I want to view the title and content of the windows open in regional language...
i.e i want to apply it system wide...

varunendra
May 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I know the above method but that is for keyboard layout...
I want to view the title and content of the windows open in regional language...
i.e i want to apply it system wide...
Maybe the screenshot below could help :

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt292/varunjnp/Oniric-2012-05-24-19-53-25.jpg

Make sure to drag your preferred language from the list to the top, then click "Apply System-Wide" button. Then after logging-out and logging-in again, or after a restart, the language in menus and title-bars (wherever possible) will change to the desired one.

Please note that usually we are so much used to the English menus that sometimes it gets difficult to identify the correct item after it gets completely 'translated' to a regional language.

If still having difficulty, please tell us the version you are using (I'm assuming it is default Ubuntu 12.04, 32 bit) and maybe post some more screenshots showing how and where you are applying the changes.