PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT buy this laptop!

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
If you want to run linux. It is the Toshiba Satellite C655. I saw it at BJ's for $299 and thought it was a good deal. It is, if you only plan on running windows. I tried 12 different live cd's, and alternate cd's. I got 2 things to actually install, but it would freeze soon after boot up.

This laptop has been around for about a year now, so I figured it would be compatible by now. Wrong. Talk about proprietary garbage. Plus, my girlfriend has a Toshiba that runs ubuntu just fine. Oh well, back to the store and get my money back. Stay away from it!!!!

Toshiba will never again get my business. I would buy from System 76, but they are a little bit pricey for me right now. I'll just try a different brand and see how it goes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

aeronutt
June 22nd, 2011, 02:13 AM
Quite the confusing post. So the laptop has been around over a year, and your g/f has a Toshiba that works fine with Ubuntu, and you're blaming Toshiba?

jerrrys
June 22nd, 2011, 02:18 AM
not supported by Cononical, looks like to me

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Toshiba

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 02:20 AM
Quite the confusing post. So the laptop has been around over a year, and your g/f has a Toshiba that works fine with Ubuntu, and you're blaming Toshiba?

If you don't understand the relationship between MS and manufacturers, look it up. I'm not going to defend how I feel about them.

But basically, this thread was meant to warn anyone considering buying it and putting linux on it. OK?

jramshu
June 22nd, 2011, 02:21 AM
None of my laptops are listed on there and they all run any distro I have tried.

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 02:21 AM

Not only Canonical, but Fedora, Opensuse, PCLinuxOS,...........

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
None of my laptops are listed on there and they all run any distro I have tried.

Exactly. I am not the bad guy here because I despise proprietary stuff. I took a chance, and lost. That's all. But I still don't have to like Toshiba.

FuturePilot
June 22nd, 2011, 02:28 AM
It is the Toshiba Satellite C655.
First warning sign

I saw it at BJ's for $299
Second warning sign.

jerrrys
June 22nd, 2011, 02:29 AM
and if it works for you, it works for everyone? the key word is certified

aeronutt
June 22nd, 2011, 02:30 AM
If you don't understand the relationship between MS and manufacturers, look it up. I'm not going to defend how I feel about them.

But basically, this thread was meant to warn anyone considering buying it and putting linux on it. OK?

Not sure what MS has to do with this. Not trying to be controversial. My simple point was that you stated that other Toshiba's do work with Ubuntu, that your laptop had been out for a year, but you blamed Toshiba for Ubuntu not working. I appreciate that you're trying to inform that that model of Toshiba and Ubuntu doesn't work together...that's good info, but hard to blame Toshiba for that.

Simian Man
June 22nd, 2011, 02:37 AM
What exactly didn't work? A Google search indicates it has Intel wireless and integrated graphics. That combo usually is a safe bet with Linux...

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 02:38 AM
and if it works for you, it works for everyone? the key word is certified

Well yeah. :p It's common sense that if I take laptop A and install ubuntu on it and it works, it should also work for other people as long as the hardware configuration is the same. But I also realize that there are a couple of variables such as user experience, and hardware glitches that are inevitable.

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 02:42 AM
First warning sign

Second warning sign.

That has nothing to do with anything. I bought a netbook at Target(is that a warning sign?) for $199. and ubuntu ran perfectly on it. How much it costs, and where you buy it, has nothing to do with compatibility.

I'll take the blame for this one and move on. I rolled the dice and crapped out. Oh well. Worse things in my life have happened.

aysiu
June 22nd, 2011, 02:45 AM
My netbook is listed as certified, but wireless has been buggy since Ubuntu 9.10 and onward, despite all my (and others') bug reporting.

"Certified" doesn't really mean anything in practical terms. A "Ubuntu developers actually use this for everyday computing" might, though.

halibaitor
June 22nd, 2011, 02:49 AM
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have one word for you... Asus :-)

jerrrys
June 22nd, 2011, 02:52 AM
it has to mean something in practical terms. why would it even be printed if its nothing but bull?

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 02:53 AM
My netbook is listed as certified, but wireless has been buggy since Ubuntu 9.10 and onward, despite all my (and others') bug reporting.

"Certified" doesn't really mean anything in practical terms. A "Ubuntu developers actually use this for everyday computing" might, though.

You tell 'em aysiu!

Bandit
June 22nd, 2011, 02:53 AM
Hey Wolf, can you post the specs in detail on that machine.

BTW, thanks for the heads up.

rhrgbmx
June 22nd, 2011, 02:58 AM
I really love the look of the system 76 laptops even though they are pricey if I ever needed a laptop I would absolutely jump at that, even though a laptop so powerful is a little silly (for me anyway due to my desktop) its nice to have something that just works. What would happen when I tried to convert my whole family to linux is a lot of computers would not boot off live cd's after days of scratching my head even trying alternative ubuntu installation cd's what worked the best was removing the hard drive and installing ubuntu from another pc. I cant quite remember if I had driver problems however I am still using the computer now and there is no problems maybe if you have a spare sata cable laying around give it a shot. Or if you have returned the laptop please buy a system 76 and review it for us haha.

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 03:00 AM
Hey Wolf, can you post the specs in detail on that machine.

BTW, thanks for the heads up.

AMD 1.5 dual core

2gb ddr3

250gb HD

ATI Radeon HD6310

There's nothing noticeable that would be incompatible.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZsT9qT7EICA/TTDfr1CGiNI/AAAAAAAAAXg/5cSKOzAg4BY/s1600/shrug.jpg

aeronutt
June 22nd, 2011, 03:03 AM
Not even that ATI graphics card? Have you tried booting with radeon.modeset=0 ?

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
Or if you have returned the laptop please buy a system 76 and review it for us haha.

I'll do it just for you! Haha. Wish I could, as $300-400 is about my limit right now. And the only reason I have that much is because I'm making some money off of 2 laptops I got cheap.

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 03:09 AM
Not even that ATI graphics card? Have you tried booting with radeon.modeset=0 ?

Yeah, I know I probably could have found workarounds and whatnot, but at my age, I want stuff to "just work". I'm getting a little bit lazy I guess. Most of the time these days is spent looking for answers for my windows customers when needed. Thanks for the input though, but I'm going to return it and find a lappie with Intel chipsets.

Bandit
June 22nd, 2011, 03:09 AM
AMD 1.5 dual core

2gb ddr3

250gb HD

ATI Radeon HD6310

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZsT9qT7EICA/TTDfr1CGiNI/AAAAAAAAAXg/5cSKOzAg4BY/s1600/shrug.jpg

Ahh was looking for more in depth info like motherboard chipset, RAM type and brand, and soundcard, network and so on.. Tho Mobo info will cover most in most cases.

Legendary_Bibo
June 22nd, 2011, 03:11 AM

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Toshiba

Huh, my HP dv7 works perfectly with Ubuntu, but it's not listed.

jerrrys
June 22nd, 2011, 03:13 AM
lol

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 03:16 AM
Ahh was looking for more in depth info like motherboard chipset, RAM type and brand, and soundcard, network and so on.. Tho Mobo info will cover most in most cases.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but if you really need that info, you know where to get it. ;) I'm chilling tonight and not in the mood to hunt for things. (you can imagine after a 5hr fiasco with that laptop)

sffvba[e0rt
June 22nd, 2011, 03:22 AM
AMD 1.5 dual core

2gb ddr3

250gb HD

ATI Radeon HD6310

I spy with my little eye something starting with Ra... and ending with deon... (edit: and I seem to have missed a whole page before I posted :p)

wolfen69
June 22nd, 2011, 03:25 AM
I spy with my little eye something starting with Ra... and ending with deon... (edit: and I seem to have missed a whole page before I posted :p)

It could be a determining factor, but other people have got it going. I guess I just wasn't geek enough. Plus, I can return it for a refund. ;)

sidzen
June 22nd, 2011, 07:11 AM
It could be a determining factor, but other people have got it going. I guess I just wasn't geek enough. Plus, I can return it for a refund. ;)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/swiftlinux/files/swiftlinux-0_1_1-regular.iso/download

Artemis3
June 22nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
Exactly. I am not the bad guy here because I despise proprietary stuff. I took a chance, and lost. That's all. But I still don't have to like Toshiba.

You can always follow Stallman's example (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=984532) and get this:

http://www.umpchome.net/attachments/2009/02/13/4_200902130031255dqNx.jpg
(http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Netbook-runs-Debian-on-Chinamade-CPU/)

Installation is not for the faint of heart, but doable. And no Ubuntu. There is Gnewsense, Debian, and some others (architecture is mipsel) i installed Debian because gnewsense has an unsolvable installer bug that would require you to deboostrap, which is kinda hard when the hard disk has been wiped out...

It certainly works with pure free software, even the bios. It is similar to the Asus Eeepc 901, price is under 300$.

http://www.osnews.com/story/21530/The_Loongson-2_MIPS_Lemote_Yeeloong_Netbook

el_koraco
June 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
You were probably having trouble with the radeon card, which is fairly new, so you'd have to do a little voodoo to get past the OSS driver problem. Personally, the only Toshiba model worth buying is the Tecra line, no matter which OS you run on it. My last Toshiba was a Sattelite with Vista preinstalled, and had its fan break in two weeks.

Zero2Nine
June 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I know I probably could have found workarounds and whatnot, but at my age, I want stuff to "just work". I'm getting a little bit lazy I guess. Most of the time these days is spent looking for answers for my windows customers when needed. Thanks for the input though, but I'm going to return it and find a lappie with Intel chipsets.

You have not tried nomodeset? With Ubuntu 11.04 (or I guess with the Linux kernel that came with it) this seems to be quite normal with cards that require proprietary drivers. At least I've seen a lot of topics about black screens after booting the Live CD. If I don't boot with nomodeset there is no video signal at all. However once the proprietary drivers are in place buntu runs fine once booted.ed

Rodney9
June 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
My Toshiba Satellite 500 has worked perfectly for the last year with different varieties of Ubuntu, except 11.04.

koleoptero
June 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
There's a store called BJs that sells computers? I'd expect it to offer... other type of services. :lol:

Bandit
June 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but if you really need that info, you know where to get it. ;) I'm chilling tonight and not in the mood to hunt for things. (you can imagine after a 5hr fiasco with that laptop)

haha.. dont blame ya. I thought you may had known.

Those little things like chipsets are something I look into more then video cards when building a system for Linux compatibility.

Its the biggest if not one of the biggest compatibility concerns, but the number one most overlooked. :-)

forrestcupp
June 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
You're not going to find any main stream brand where every one of their computers work perfectly with Linux. You pretty much have to research all of the specs no matter what brand you go with.

Roasted
June 22nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
I try to avoid Toshiba regardless. Their laptops have always ran much hotter on me, and therefore, had quicker component failure. I haven't seen hundreds of Toshiba's to really solidify this opinion but out of the 5 that myself or friends have had, they've all followed suit.

Love them or hate them, Dell is making some nicer systems now-a-days. Dell is something I can say I've used hundreds of with great success, due to the magnitude of their existence at my place of work...

sammiev
June 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
My Toshiba Satellite 500 has worked perfectly for the last year with different varieties of Ubuntu, except 11.04.

I agree, I have 2 Toshiba Satellite L500 and 1 Toshiba Satellite L650 all running with different varieties of Ubuntu right out of the box. GL :)

dniMretsaM
June 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I've been thinking of buying a new (or used) cheap-ish computer, so I'll know not to even look at this one.

Lucradia
June 22nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
I suggest staying away from Toshiba and Samsung period with Linux on their laptops / netbooks at the very least.

Toshiba netbooks (a handful of them) have issues where the battery will drain even whe nthe system is off. But Windows doesn't do this. (Hardware isn't properly shut off in Linux: IE: LAN.)

As for samsung, the battery discharges faster.

wolfen69
June 24th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Update:

I know I said I would never buy Toshiba again, but after I cooled down I decided to go hunting for another one after I returned the unit. I saw that bestbuy had the same Toshiba/model number laptop, but with Intel chipsets instead of AMD.
http://whyfiles.org/120sci_creativity/images/einstein_bulb.jpg
OK, I'll go there with ubuntu live cd in hand and check it out. Thankfully, the salesperson who helped me has tried ubuntu live cd's before and had no problem with me using the cd to check for compatibility first. What do you know, it worked great. :D

The specs on the first one I bought was amd 1.5 dual-2gb ram-ati 6313-250hd. The one I wound up buying has Intel 2.3 Celeron-3gb ram-intel 4500m graphics-250hd. Both were $299. It's not a powerhouse, but it's not going to do much more than surfing, music, and email, so it's just fine for that. I have Fedora 15-64bit on it right now. But most important, is that it is 100% linux compatible.

sammiev
June 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Update:

I know I said I would never buy Toshiba again, but after I cooled down I decided to go hunting for another one after I returned the unit. I saw that bestbuy had the same Toshiba/model number laptop, but with Intel chipsets instead of AMD.
http://whyfiles.org/120sci_creativity/images/einstein_bulb.jpg
OK, I'll go there with ubuntu live cd in hand and check it out. Thankfully, the salesperson who helped me has tried ubuntu live cd's before and had no problem with me using the cd to check for compatibility first. What do you know, it worked great. :D

The specs on the first one I bought was amd 1.5 dual-2gb ram-ati 6313-250hd. The one I wound up buying has Intel 2.3 Celeron-3gb ram-intel 4500m graphics-250hd. Both were $299. It's not a powerhouse, but it's not going to do much more than surfing, music, and email, so it's just fine for that. I have Fedora 15-64bit on it right now. But most important, is that it is 100% linux compatible.

So far after more than a year and a half with 3 units all Toshiba with the Intel chip set and no bugs to report. All worked right out of the box. GL :)

Duplin
October 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
FWIW, I bought my wife a Toshiba c655 early this year...it was cheap. Like many others I tried to get Ubuntu to run on it...no wireless mouse and NO network at all. So, she's been running W7 until tonight.

Last night I removed 10.04 and replaced it with 11.04 on my desktop. Since I already had the CD, for the heck of it I tried it on her laptop...installed absolutely flawlessly! Picked up all available wireless networks immediately.

She is thrilled with the speed increase...instant Linux fan.

Lucradia
October 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM
FWIW, I bought my wife a Toshiba c655 early this year...it was cheap. Like many others I tried to get Ubuntu to run on it...no wireless mouse and NO network at all. So, she's been running W7 until tonight.

Last night I removed 10.04 and replaced it with 11.04 on my desktop. Since I already had the CD, for the heck of it I tried it on her laptop...installed absolutely flawlessly! Picked up all available wireless networks immediately.

She is thrilled with the speed increase...instant Linux fan.

When wireless doesn't work it's best to try the non-LTS. If the non-LTS, newest, doesn't work, try the +1. The +1 usually has propietary wireless in it that won't make it to final.

Dangertux
October 6th, 2011, 05:15 PM
If it helps I've purchased several gateway NV series laptops over the past few months they're about 300 bucks at best buy and all have worked OOTB with both 10.04 and 11.04. Nice machines too, if anyone is looking for a laptop in that price range I would recommend them.

The only thing I would suggest is using the proprietary drivers if they have the ATI chipset. Open source ones work fine the performance on the proprietary drivers is just noticeably better.

detroit/zero
October 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Very odd, indeed. I have a Toshiba Satellite a135 that I got in late 2006 that has run nothing but Linux since the day I brought it home. I've had some wireless weirdness along the way, and I have to jump through a myriad oh hoops to get the speakers to shut off when headphones are plugged in, but other than that...

I'll never hesitate to give Toshiba my money for one of their products.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 7th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Last night I removed 10.04 and replaced it with 11.04 on my desktop. Since I already had the CD, for the heck of it I tried it on her laptop...installed absolutely flawlessly! Picked up all available wireless networks immediately

You revived an old thread from June 2011. How do you know there weren't compatibility problems with the release at that time. Wolfen69 also had a follow-up post about compatibility with another Toshiba model.

I have a Toshiba NB305 Netbook running 10.04; however, I don't assume everyone else with a Toshiba computer is free of problems. The same model number of computer from a manufacturer could actuality have different hardware or firmware; therefore, the C655 computer Wolfen69 tried to use may not be exactly the same as yours.

EthioJOB
February 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I've been considering a Toshiba Satellite C655 (with all Intel parts inside) as well, but I wanted to do a reasearch before I jump in the purchase. So far doing some googling gave me the impression that there are some issues with Toshiba laptops, at least with THIS model (my luck :-( ). A little more digging got me wondering if it was possible that kernel versions of earlier releases didn't get around to fix any compatibility issues.

In short, have any of you tried installing 11.04 or 11.10, the latter which I'm planning to use on my new laptop, on this laptop? Those of you who tried it with 10.04 or 10.10 and haved problems, can you try them with the newer releases and give feedback?

wolfen69
February 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I've been considering a Toshiba Satellite C655 (with all Intel parts inside) as well, but I wanted to do a reasearch before I jump in the purchase.

As mentioned in my follow up posts, the all Intel C655 was without any problems using 11.04, or 11.10. I sold it though, because I got a good deal on a high end laptop.

EthioJOB
February 17th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks wolfen69. The model I was considering has a intel core i3 2.1 Ghz, 500 GB an intel graphics, and 4 GB RAM.

To make things clear though, if the laptop works on Live-CD, shall I take that as a green light? I think I read somewhere that the laptop worked fine on Live-CD but had acpi-related problems after installation. Not sure, but need guidance from you guys. I really like the laptop, but no-Ubuntu is a no-no for me :D.

craig10x
February 17th, 2012, 04:11 PM
wolfen69...i suspect you must have gotten a rare "lemon" toshiba....i have been using toshibas for over 10 years now, have had several...never needed any repairs on any of them...:D

usually sold after a few years just because i felt like getting a new one with more features (say bigger hard drive, more memory, better processor, etc)...

and in terms of compatibility...EVERY ONE OF THEM WORKED PERFECTLY FINE WITH LINUX....including all ubuntus (from the 8 series and up when i started with linux) Mint, PCLinuxOs (for a brief time) Kubuntu, you name it...ALL WERE TOTALLY COMPATABLE...in every case i wiped out windows and ran Linux exclusively...

In fact, in some post someone asked what brand was very "linux friendly" and i had suggested he get a Toshiba...

Buy one from Toshiba Direct (like i do now)...Best Buy would probably be ok too though i tend to get better value when bought through toshiba itself... and i am sure you will be very happy with it...again, BJ's must have sold you a lemon...by the way, most of them did have the amd processor though my new one has the intel core and i do like it better...not that the amd ones didn't work well with linux....by the way, i always use the "stock" drivers' on my linux distros...did NOT install any proprietory drivers...so i don't know if that would make any difference...worked fine with the "stock" ones that come with the distro though...

craig10x
February 17th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks wolfen69. The model I was considering has a intel core i3 2.1 Ghz, 500 GB an intel graphics, and 4 GB RAM.

To make things clear though, if the laptop works on Live-CD, shall I take that as a green light? I think I read somewhere that the laptop worked fine on Live-CD but had acpi-related problems after installation. Not sure, but need guidance from you guys. I really like the laptop, but no-Ubuntu is a no-no for me :D.

What you are thinking about buying sounds quite similiar to the one i just bought a few months ago (have 500gb harddrive, i3 core, 4gb ram) mine has the 17" screen)....works absolutely great...and yes you can tell compatibility from running a live disc session of a distro... ;)

I'm typing this from that toshiba right now (running ubuntu 11.10) everything works great...again...just using the drivers that ubuntu installs with it...

wolfen69
February 17th, 2012, 09:52 PM
wolfen69...i suspect you must have gotten a rare "lemon" toshiba....
It wasn't a "lemon", it was the ATI graphics that was a problem, but didn't bother to research ahead of time if there were any issues. I'm sure Toshiba is fine in most cases, but I just happened to get the amd chipset that has known issues in linux. (could be fixed now, not sure)

As I said further on into the thread, I returned it and got the all intel version. Had no problems after that.

wolfen69
February 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
What you are thinking about buying sounds quite similiar to the one i just bought a few months ago (have 500gb harddrive, i3 core, 4gb ram) mine has the 17" screen)

I'm sure yours will be much quicker though, as the Toshiba c655 has only a celeron cpu, and DDR2. :( It wasn't quick enough to satisfy my need for speed, so I wound up selling it and getting a Dell business class laptop. Very fast! (see sig)

But I'm sure Lubuntu would run OK on the C655.

WinterMadness
February 17th, 2012, 10:43 PM
its possible that theres a bios setting messing with linux. thats what happened with my asus, now it runs fine.

craig10x
February 18th, 2012, 03:44 AM
very good, wolfen69...must have missed that part of the thread :)

Yeah, usually Toshiba's are pretty linux friendly...and for me...most of them had amd's (but i guess not the one's that were troublesome for linux) they also had less memory (3gb) smaller hard drives too....and i think the processors were usually the amd mobile type ones (so nothing that fancy really) ...forgot what they were called...

The intel one i have now is probably the most premium one i have had...though it's the bottom of the "icore" line (i3)...runs like a top...

My previous one with the amd mobile processor ran ubuntu 11.04 quite well, and also mint, zorin, pclinuxos and a few other distros i tried (lol)...
But it did have the problem with the "power regression" of the kernel business which is finally getting "patched" in ubuntu 12.04 to bring power consumption back to kernel 2.37 levels (before the problem started)...

Fortunately my new Toshiba with the Intel does not have the overheating/fan always on problem but still it will nice to run a cooler laptop starting with the next edition...
But i think i prefer the intel now and will stay with that for any future toshiba laptop purchases...they usually cost a little more then their amd models but i think it is worth it....they also seem to run cooler and more efficiently too...

leclerc65
February 18th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I don'r own Toshiba's, but Samsung is my headache (with their Backlight).

EthioJOB
February 18th, 2012, 09:14 AM
t wasn't a "lemon", it was the ATI graphics that was a problem, but didn't bother to research ahead of time if there were any issues. I'm sure Toshiba is fine in most cases, but I just happened to get the amd chipset that has known issues in linux. (could be fixed now, not sure)

As I said further on into the thread, I returned it and got the all intel version. Had no problems after that. AMD/ATI, or in general non-intel products seem to lag behind when it comes to supporting linux, or are a hit-and-miss game. The first question I asked the seller is 'are all the inside parts intel?'. Now wolfen66's original problem kinda 'makes sense'. Now I feel confident enough to dive in and buy the laptop.

A note though, perhaps it would be better if the title of this thread 'DO NOT buy this laptop!' was changed to something else that fits our discovery. :D
By the way, what do we mean by 'lemon'?

Hylas de Niall
February 18th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Any word on the Toshiba nb250 netbook?
I plan on upgrading it to linux when my trusty old Akoya Mini (a lovely little machine) bites the dust.
I've tried a couple of 'live' runs with it, but got no controls for wi-fi, volume, brightness etc. Hence it's still currently Win7.

craig10x
February 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM
It's probably an american expression that is best known here in the US it usually means a defective product but many use the expression to mean a product that doesn't work the way you expect it to :)

In this case, i meant the latter...;)

Most of my toshiba laptops did have the amd's and did work fine (though they seem to run somewhat hotter then my new intel one does) but apparently from what wolfen69 was mentioning, it seems there sometimes are certain amds that are problematic with linux....

But yeah, it would seem that if you stick with the intel versions you shouldn't have any problem and yes you can see if everything is compatible running a live cd session...

EthioJOB
February 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
OK, I just bought my laptop, a Toshiba C650. The C655 got sold out so I had to settle for a closer relative. I first considered a C660 but though it was all Intel inside, the Live CD didn't go well. So I looked for the next available option and the Live CD try out went well (although it took Ubuntu a while to finish loading and boot. Is it 11.10's problem?). I haven't installed it yet but so far I believe that the coast is clear. I'll post back when I've installed it.

My point, it seems that you can't take for granted if any computer is linux-friendly, and there's no simple formula, whether they're all intel or not. The only option is to try the Live CD, and hence you'll have to go to a seller that is willing to let you try.

stalkingwolf
February 22nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Even trying the live CD is not a guarentee. I have a desk top that runs the live disk fine but wont boot the installed version.

I have pretty much stuck with asus and HP laptops. Had one everex that didnt play well with 8.10.
one IBM that is running Super 10.04 well.

EthioJOB
February 25th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Although I'm not sure I can say it's impossible for a LiveCD tryout to be fine and fail on normal boot after installation, I think some unforseen or seemingly harmless missteps during the installation process - LiveCD, partitioning, etc. - are more likely the cuases of such after-failures. When I install I always have to make a third partition for saving files or so, but then I usually discover I made something wrong or realize I did something the wrong way. Then I'd see the effects after the installation, though luckily their not something that prevent my PC from working properly.

However, if stalkingwolf's problem appear despite all precautions, then the only option is to ask help from our online buddies. The folks at launchpad answers (http://answers.launchpad.net) are pretty good since they are more technically adept and to the point.