PDA

View Full Version : Stopping processes such as TCPReplay programmatically

Aramis
May 18th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Hi y'all,

As you can see everything is in the title. I would like to know how I can stop processes such as TCPReplay, TCPDump, Snort and so on programmatically. Typi cally, you have to kill these processes by either pressing CTRL+C in their respective terminals, or using the "sudo kill PID" command. The reason why I would like to control when to stop such task is because I have developpe a piece of software for my PhD that is able to start various tasks around a network and report back to a Master Application. TCPReplay and the like are typically tasks that I would start at the beginning of an experiment and stop before moving on to the next phase of the experiment.

Of course, my current solution, at the moment, is to start 2 deamons:
* one would start, say, TCPReplay
* one would search for the PID and kill the application accordingly

Not the best of solution I admit, thus this post :mrgreen:

Help much appreciated

Ar@mi$

PS: I went throught the man pages for TCPReplay apparently it supports 2 signals. These do not "stop" the process as such but "pause/restart" it rather. I can't find how to send these signals :'( and I believe these do not fit my requirements.

IYY
May 18th, 2006, 04:36 PM
There is a command called "killall" that kills by name rather than PID.

sudo killall TCPReplay

Aramis
May 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
@IYY

Thanks a lot for this very quick reply, I did not know about killall. However, I do not believe that it exactly answer my needs. Granted it is far simpler to perform a killall rather than search, find PID and perform kill.

I have to say, I was suprised that I could not find any material explaining how to stop such processes programmatically.

Cheers,

Ar@mi$

bboozzoo
May 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM
first off, write several scripts that handle starting and stopping of any deamon you want

#!/bin/sh
<yourprog> &
echo $! > /var/run/<yourprog>.pid

and for stopping

#!/bin/sh
kill < /var/run/yourprog.pid

or even one script for starting all the deamons you need, see it's always easier to do such things from shell than from C or any other language program