PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE KWIN Crash Every Time Exiting a Full Screen Game

jlacroix
June 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm having a strange problem with KDE, to which there may be no solution but thought I'd ask anyway. I play several games (Neverball, several MAME games and even ZSNES and others) and it seems that if I have desktop effects turned on, KWIN will crash every time I exit a full screen game such as those mentioned above and others. If I disable desktop effects before starting the game, everything is fine. The games themselves run fine while desktop effects are enabled, but I'm hoping someone has a solution so I don't have to remember to disable desktop effects before clicking on a game.

Thanks in advance :)

FormatSeize
June 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM
You may simply just have to remember to suspend desktop effects before playing. Perhaps you can create a shortcut key so that you don't always have to go to the menus to do it.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but in my experience, desktop effects will crash whenever you do something outside of basic functions of a computer. Both in Gnome environments and in KDE environments. Sometimes they just crash because they feel like crashing.

I personally only run them when someone else is going to be using my computer. Having them disabled is the default for me, because I'm mostly in full screen mode with whatever I'm doing, then they crash, or something like all the window borders disappear, then I have to reboot in the middle of what I'm doing.