PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GRUB Bootup Error

twinkeir
June 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
So Ubuntu has been working fine for me. I had the latest version (which is 11.04) and updated everything. I rebooted and it worked fine for a few days.

Then when trying to boot Ubuntu I get this error

Try (hd0,0) : NTFS5 :
error: "prefix" is not set.
error: no such device /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
Then I get one more error which I didn't have time to right down and then the GRUB console comes up. Like this one

http://plugintolinux.ca/files/slideshows/grub/img3.jpg

I cannot boot Ubuntu at all. I have Windows 7 professional running along side it and it works perfectly. I installed using the latest version of Wubi.

Ubuntu Details -

One User Account Only
That account is password protected, yes I do know the password
I selected 17GB in Wubi for the size.

Also this is a completely differant queston. Is it posible to have Windows 7/Ubuntu and Kubuntu so the computer would be triple booted?

Thanks
Keir

Rubi1200
June 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

This is what you need to do:

When the computer starts and you see the entry for Ubuntu press "c" to drop to a grub prompt (the one you posted an image of).

Then enter these commands and post the output here:

search -s -f -n /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
echo $rootAfter this type "reboot" and go back to Windows.

In Windows, make a backup copy of the root.disk and place it somewhere safe like an external medium (USB stick etc.).

Once we have the output of the commands above, we can proceed.

twinkeir
June 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
I managed to get the 3rd error I talked about.

error: no such device : /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
Output:

search -s -f -n /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
error: no such device : /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
echo $root
memdisk

I cannot find that file. On the C:\ drive there is a ubuntu folder but no disks folder.
Screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16989182/screenshot.PNG

Thanks
Keir

Rubi1200
June 21st, 2011, 07:22 PM
You don't appear to have an /disks folder; do you know what might have happened to cause this?

You need to enable the option to view Hidden Files and Folders:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial151.html

Once you have done that, look for a folder called C:\found.000 (or similar). If you find the root.disk and swap.disk files there move them back to the root of the C drive and place them in their correct file structure:

/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

Then try booting again. Also make sure the wubildr and wubildr.mbr files are at the root of the C drive.

twinkeir
June 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM
You don't appear to have an /disks folder; do you know what might have happened to cause this?

You need to enable the option to view Hidden Files and Folders:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial151.html

Once you have done that, look for a folder called C:\found.000 (or similar). If you find the root.disk and swap.disk files there move them back to the root of the C drive and place them in their correct file structure:

/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

Then try booting again. Also make sure the wubildr and wubildr.mbr files are at the root of the C drive.

Followed the instructions. Found the folder found.000. It is just copying now (16.6GB)
Do I need the boot folder? The boot folder is empty apart from another empty folder called grub. If I do need it where do I put it?

To be able to open the folder I had to use the Take Ownership tweak. Will keep you updated. wubildr and wubildr.mbr are in the root of C:\.

Thanks for your help so far
Keir

Rubi1200
June 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM
I don't believe you need those empty folders, only the ones I mentioned.

Let me know what happens.

twinkeir
June 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
I don't believe you need those empty folders, only the ones I mentioned.

Let me know what happens.

Okay! Almost done!

twinkeir
June 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

It is working now! I do not know what caused it. I am replying to this thread from Ubuntu. THANKS!

If you ever need a hand with your PC I can always give you a hand. It would have to be done online though.

Rubi1200
June 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Excellent! I am really pleased things are sorted out.

You're welcome for the help :-)

Please mark this Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.

Last tip: make a backup copy of the root.disk as I mentioned previously just in case this ever happens again.

twinkeir
June 21st, 2011, 08:25 PM
Excellent! I am really pleased things are sorted out.

You're welcome for the help :-)

Please mark this Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.

Last tip: make a backup copy of the root.disk as I mentioned previously just in case this ever happens again.

Okay will do! Does the swap.disk and root.disk ever change? Or can I make a backup everytime I upgrade only?

Rubi1200
June 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for marking this Solved.

To answer your question:

you only need to backup the root.disk not the swap disk (though you could also make a copy just to have one).

If you are making frequent changes to the Ubuntu install such as downloading and installing software, saving files etc. then backups of the root.disk should be ongoing because the root.disk is being constantly modified.

If, however, you are saving personal files outside the root.disk then you can probably do backups less frequently since not much is changing and because backing up like this also means backing up any free space on the root.disk.

Plus, as you saw, it is a rather large file!

If, at some point, you would be interested in migrating the Wubi install to a regular partition on your hard-drive, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Wubi installs are great for trying/testing another operating system in a relatively safe way, but Wubi was never intended for long-term usage.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

twinkeir
June 21st, 2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for marking this Solved.

To answer your question:

you only need to backup the root.disk not the swap disk (though you could also make a copy just to have one).

If you are making frequent changes to the Ubuntu install such as downloading and installing software, saving files etc. then backups of the root.disk should be ongoing because the root.disk is being constantly modified.

If, however, you are saving personal files outside the root.disk then you can probably do backups less frequently since not much is changing and because backing up like this also means backing up any free space on the root.disk.

Plus, as you saw, it is a rather large file!

If, at some point, you would be interested in migrating the Wubi install to a regular partition on your hard-drive, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Wubi installs are great for trying/testing another operating system in a relatively safe way, but Wubi was never intended for long-term usage.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

Awesome I will definitely ask if I need to. Is it possible to have Windows 7 & Ubuntu & Kubuntu installed with wuibi or a program like that?

Banyo
August 29th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I had the same problem as this guy, I have followed the instructions of Rubi and Im replying from ubuntu, thanks mate for your help ;)

Rubi1200
August 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I had the same problem as this guy, I have followed the instructions of Rubi and Im replying from ubuntu, thanks mate for your help ;)
Hi and welcome to the forums Banyo :-)

Glad you found this thread and that the solution worked for you.

Enjoy :-)