PDA

View Full Version : I think this guy needs to buy himeslf a OLPC instead

haqking
June 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
What a NOOB article written in a IT pro magazine.

a schmuck springs to mind ;-)

http://www.windowsitpro.com/blog/windows-os-and-deployment-blog-14/windows-server/how-ubuntu-ditched-me-and-why-i-ditched-ubuntu-136820

he would be better off with a OLPC or a frontal labotomoy, both would make things better ;-)

3Miro
June 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
The guy just has no idea about what he is doing. You cannot compare the dead XP to a current OS, might as well compare Ubuntu to Windows 95.

4GB SSD ... Xubuntu should work, I don't think Vista or 7 have a chance.

haqking
June 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM
The guy just has no idea about what he is doing. You cannot compare the dead XP to a current OS, might as well compare Ubuntu to Windows 95.

4GB SSD ... Xubuntu should work, I don't think Vista or 7 have a chance.

I think he was dropped at birth myself, Linux assumes you know what you are doing, if you dont or at least cant fake it then certainly dont write an article about it ;-)

Spice Weasel
June 21st, 2011, 04:21 PM
I do not know why Ubuntu claims to be lighter than Windows. It clearly isn't, and "machines that could run XP, Vista, Windows 7 or x86 OS X will almost always be a lot faster with Ubuntu" is a complete exaggeration.

Windows XP will be supported by Microsoft until 2014 and is still the most used operating system on the planet. It is anything but dead.

haqking
June 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
I do not know why Ubuntu claims to be lighter than Windows. It clearly isn't, and "machines that could run XP, Vista, Windows 7 or x86 OS X will almost always be a lot faster with Ubuntu" is a complete exaggeration.

Windows XP will be supported by Microsoft until 2014 and is still the most used operating system on the planet. It is anything but dead.

Desktop proliferation does not mean its not dead ;-)

Spice Weasel
June 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Desktop proliferation does not mean its not dead ;-)

How can software that will be supported for three more years and is still widely used be dead?

Paqman
June 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM
So a guy switched from Ubuntu to Crunchbang because he likes it better on his netbook. We're getting upset about this why? Sounds like a perfectly reasonable switch of distro to me.

haqking
June 21st, 2011, 04:31 PM
How can software that will be supported for three more years and is still widely used be dead?

i am speaking metaphorically with the usual ******* based rant ;-)

haqking
June 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
So a guy switched from Ubuntu to Crunchbang because he likes it better on his netbook. We're getting upset about this why? Sounds like a perfectly reasonable switch of distro to me.

ha not upset, and i run many distros, it was perfectly reasonable....it was more about his one sided article with a slant towards Ubuntu not being what it says it is

3Miro
June 21st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Xp doesn't get bug-fixes anymore and it isn't sold on machines. XP only gets security updates until 2014. Ubuntu 10.04 gets updates until 2013.

With XP vs 10.04, Ubuntu wins on resources.

Ubuntu has gone heavy lately, especially with Unity, but it is still lighter than Vista or 7.

Elfy
June 21st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Try again without all of the inflammatory speech. http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy