PDA

View Full Version : Where were you guys born!? :D

de_dust
June 21st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Just thought I'd spice up the Cafe with a bit of personal fun.

I was born in Singapore, went back a couple years ago for vacation. It is one helluva place. ;)

What about you guys?

~de_dust

nomko
June 21st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Me??? I was born in a hospital in a place called Winschoten (nicknamed Sodom or tellerlikkers). But i was raised in a village called Oude Pekela (nickname for people from Oude Pekela: Roegbaainders). Both places can be found in the northern province Groningen of The Netherlands.

tgalati4
June 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM
Fort Dix, New Jersey. Home of the Swine Flu.

de_dust
June 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
@nomko I thought you were making all those names up until I read the part about the Netherlands. :P

@tgalati4 Oh goodness!

Elfy
June 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNH_Mtarfa

nomko
June 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM
@nomko I thought you were making all those names up until I read the part about the Netherlands. :P

@tgalati4 Oh goodness!

I'm not joking, the name sodom was given by the jewish community we had in Winschoten up till WW2. The jewish people gave them that name for the low morals (drinking, gambling, prostitution). Tellerlikkers is a nickname they earned for the reason that they were eating from plates before anyone else who still were eating from the pot.

Roegbaainders means rough people or wild people in my dialect. My village is a world apart. Surrounding villages and towns can hear by the way i speak i'm from Oude Pekela.

lulled
June 21st, 2011, 03:52 PM
I was born in São Paulo/Brazil, where I was raised and still live.

lucazade
June 21st, 2011, 03:59 PM
Born and still living in Roma, Italy.
The home of Pizza, Mandolino and Mafia ;)

cariboo
June 21st, 2011, 04:18 PM
I was born in Victoria BC on Vancouver Island, I managed to escape from the island quite a few years ago, and now live in the middle of the province, with no ferries to worry about.

benc1213
June 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
I was born in Redmond, Washington. Home of Microsoft. :p

haqking
June 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
I was born in Redmond, Washington. Home of Microsoft. :p

Who is that ? is that a American actor/actress not made it to european big screen yet ? ;-)

flemur13013
June 21st, 2011, 04:42 PM
Offutt AFB, Home of the 55th Wing.

balumain
June 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
I was born in Dewsbury hospital UK and lived in near by Morley from start to present.

Swagman
June 21st, 2011, 05:03 PM
In a Barn.. So I keep getting told. (when I leave the door open)

Elfy
June 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM
In a Barn.. So I keep getting told. (when I leave the door open)

Are you one of my kids? :lol:

(Though I know you're not - I'd be mightily surprised if you were)

FlameReaper
June 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Malaysia.

goldshirt9
June 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM
Leicester England

Maheriano
June 21st, 2011, 05:25 PM
Newfoundland, Canada.
The oldest city in Canada but last province to join Confederation (1949). That means my grandparents were born British and my parents would be first generation Canadians.

lulled
June 21st, 2011, 05:26 PM
Most of you are from English-speaking countries. I was starting to feel a bit embarrassed because of my English. From now on, besides Linux questions, I can post questions about English :P

grahammechanical
June 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM
In my parents bedroom in their rented house in Bethnal Green. It sounds a posh place but actually it is the East end of London.

@lulled

Your English ain't so bad. This:

I was starting to feel a bit embarrassed because of my English

is a typical example of British understatement.

Regards.

forrestcupp
June 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
I was born somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse. ;)

No. Actually, I was born in the USA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQWHgkEPO6M&feature=related).

malspa
June 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Pontiac, Michigan.

uRock
June 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hecho en los Estados Unidos!

Rubi1200
June 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNH_Mtarfa
Very interesting!

Naval family?

Dragonbite
June 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM
I was born in Wales as the result of a split condom, my dad went to go to work and was snowed in so he decided to get down and dirty with my mum and the condom split.

9 months late my binary was compiled and now i am in version 38 and seriously lagging and in need of a total upgrade ;-)

split condom in a snow storm, i didnt have a chance ! lol

Oversharing, 5-yard penalty, 2nd down! *tweet*!!=; ;)

Me? I was born in Redbank New Jersey. Other than that my memory is a little fuzzy! I think I was there...:confused:

Elfy
June 21st, 2011, 06:37 PM
Very interesting!

Naval family?RAF at the time.

Brian0312
June 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
I was born in Victoria BC on Vancouver Island, I managed to escape from the island quite a few years ago, and now live in the middle of the province, with no ferries to worry about.

LOL. Me too! Still on the Rock though. Actually I'm still in Vic.

radar920
June 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM
cincinnati, ohio

fyfe54
June 21st, 2011, 08:24 PM
Glasgow, Scotland. Now in Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Neither are really known for being English-speaking.

David D.
June 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Kalamazoo, Michigan - although I have migrated to South Carolina.

Zero2Nine
June 21st, 2011, 08:39 PM
Europe

KiwiNZ
June 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM
Born Wellington, New Zealand. I am a first generation Kiwi of Danish/Scots descent.

Quadunit404
June 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Providence, RI... even though I live in southern MA.

I suppose it makes sense since Providence is only 30 minutes away from here :lol:

ellis rowell
June 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM
I was born in the town of March, Cambridgeshire, England, in the month of March. So I sometimes use the pseudonym March Hare on the internet.

Jacobonbuntu
June 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
...Amsterdam, the Netherlands (don't live there any more)

cpmman
June 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM
When I was born that pub was a shop with a flat above it where I lived.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article740530.ece

It hasn't changed in 65 years.

WRDN
June 21st, 2011, 10:16 PM
I was born and still live in Beverley, UK (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=beverley+uk&gl=uk&z=13).

Also as a claim to fame, my Aunt delivered Jeremy Clarkson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson) :)

dinamic1
June 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM
E.u.

Macskeeball
June 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM
The planet Krypton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman). Where else?

/me puts on glasses

terrykiwi83
June 21st, 2011, 10:30 PM
born Liverpool (UK) now live in Mount Maunganui (New Zealand)

Hey @KiwiNZ, hows your weather in the windy city? Its been beautiful, warm and sunny here in the Bay of Plenty.

mips
June 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM
Durban, South Africa (Rep. of)

de_dust
June 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
We have quite the diverse forum, hehe. :o

CraigPaleo
June 21st, 2011, 11:00 PM
I was born in Wisconsin where I was also barbarically circumsized. :(

Most of you are from English-speaking countries. I was starting to feel a bit embarrassed because of my English. From now on, besides Linux questions, I can post questions about English :P

As long as it's in the Cafe, I don't see why not. :)

Vapa
June 21st, 2011, 11:07 PM
I was born in Finland, home of the Linux.

And still live in here.

odiseo77
June 21st, 2011, 11:53 PM
Caracas, Venezuela (still living here).

cprofitt
June 22nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
Just thought I'd spice up the Cafe with a bit of personal fun.

I was born in Singapore, went back a couple years ago for vacation. It is one helluva place. ;)

What about you guys?

~de_dust

Seems like a bad bit of information to give out in a public forum.

NovaAesa
June 22nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
I was born in Wallaby Way, Sydney, Australia.

Legendary_Bibo
June 22nd, 2011, 12:58 AM
Phoenix Children's Hospital.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 22nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Seems like a bad bit of information to give out in a public forum.

@cprofitt

Well, it appears you have a Twitter, Launchpad, and Ubuntu Wiki profile; so, I'm not sure what you are concerned about. You appear to be in New York although I don't know where you were born. :)

Wow, "knowledge of knowledge", somehow I find that relevant. :)

Bölvaður
June 22nd, 2011, 01:21 AM
Born and still living in Roma, Italy.
The home of Pizza, Mandolino and Mafia ;)
When I was in your town I didnt see much of the mafia.. do you have them in some museum :D
But there are seriously beautiful ruins and houses there and filthy streets with muggers in the metro ^^

Born in Reykjavík Iceland in the National University Hospital of Iceland.
There are no beautiful ruins, houses, filthy streets nor muggers in the metro here :-/

Macskeeball
June 22nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
@cprofitt

Well, you have a Twitter, Launchpad, and Ubuntu Wiki profile; so, I'm not sure what you are concerned about. You appear to be in New York although I don't know where you were born. :)

Wow, "knowledge of knowledge", somehow I find that relevant. :)

Think about the security questions often used on "Forgot your password" pages. Also, think about people building profiles of particular individuals by combining information found on different public websites, and then using that information to identify them, spearphish them (http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/april/spearphishing_040109), or even stalk.

scouser73
June 22nd, 2011, 01:45 AM
I was born in a galaxy far far away....no seriously I was born in Liverpool, UK. Home to the Beatles, two Football Clubs (Soccer if you're American) and home to the Grand National Horse Race.

I love my city!

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 22nd, 2011, 02:07 AM
Think about the security questions often used on "Forgot your password" pages. /spearphishing_040109]spearphish them[/url], or even stalk.
I never use real information in the answers to those questions. I have a set of made up answers that I use.

Also, think about people building profiles of particular individuals by combining information found on different public websites, and then using that information to identify them, spearphish them (http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/april/spearphishing_040109), or even stalk.

Basically, I just built a profile of cprofitt from various sources.

What I wanted to express is that many people have already compromised their privacy without knowing it.

I think that cprofitt has been around the Internet long enough to recognize something for which I will not give specifics.

KiwiNZ
June 22nd, 2011, 02:44 AM
This thread is going somewhere inappropriate.

Thread Closed