PDA

View Full Version : Just placed an order for Nokia 770

Sushi
May 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM
In case you have been living in a cave: Link (http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/770)

Oh yes, my precioussssss..... Should be here in 3-4 days. I'll give you a review once I have the device :).

ssam
May 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM
i look forward to the review

Jucato
May 18th, 2006, 03:31 PM
*drools* my dream gadget...
except that, according to what I've read, it doesn't act as a mobile phone... (unlike Nokia 7710) :(
*sigh*

MenZa
May 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I'm speechless. Awesome looking gadget.

n3tfury
May 18th, 2006, 03:59 PM
nice. you getting this for increased productivity or because you have money burning a hole in your pocket?

Super King
May 18th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I've had my eye on it for awhile. I'm probably gonna wait 'till it drops in price (or maybe I'll see what the next-generation model offers). Looking forward to the review.

Sushi
May 18th, 2006, 06:34 PM
nice. you getting this for increased productivity or because you have money burning a hole in your pocket?

Well, I'm not sure how it would improve my "productivity". As in: it's more for pleasure than business ;). I did have some extra money available, and I had been thinking about getting one for quite some time. And they just updated the OS, so.... And furthermore: I can put it in my taxes (one of the benefits of working in IT: you can deduct your IT-related purchases in taxation).

I'm planning to use it as a Google Talk-client, ebook-reader, web-tablet, client for remote-X-sessions, client for web-radio and an overall cool gadget. Did I mention that I LOVE gadgets :)?

n3tfury
May 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Well, I'm not sure how it would improve my "productivity". As in: it's more for pleasure than business ;). I did have some extra money available, and I had been thinking about getting one for quite some time. And they just updated the OS, so.... And furthermore: I can put it in my taxes (one of the benefits of working in IT: you can deduct your IT-related purchases in taxation).

I'm planning to use it as a Google Talk-client, ebook-reader, web-tablet, client for remote-X-sessions, client for web-radio and an overall cool gadget. Did I mention that I LOVE gadgets :)?

glad to hear that you're actually in the IT field (as i am), so am looking forward to a good review and not one more along the lines of "OMG ITS AWESOME HIES2U" - rubbish.

keep us posted.

christhemonkey
May 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Wow.

*runs off to count his pennys and dream....*

Sushi
May 22nd, 2006, 09:59 AM
The device was just delivered, and it's charging as I type this. I'm at work, so I can't do an extensive testing, but here are few initial impressions:

- the device is VERY sturdy! It feels really solid when you hold it. It does weight a bit, but not too much. That weight give it an addition feeling of quality.

- I paired it with my Nokia 9300 Communicator, and it seems to be working very well. Web-browsing through the communicator work without a hitch.

- The screen is VERY good. It does show fingerprints easily though.

- When the device was turned on, and left idle so that the screen dimmed (but was still on), it seemed to flicker a bit. Not really an issue, since when you are using the device, there is no flicker

- No problems with performance. App seem to load in reasonable time.

More comments and pictures to follow later :).

Jucato
May 22nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
Wow! I'm really excited with this review. Nokia 770 looks like a cool gadget. It's smaller than a tablet PC but with almost the same capabilities. At least, that's what it's advertised to do, right?

But I guess my biggest disappointment will be that it's the first Nokia gadget that doesn't make calls or send SMS/MMS, from one review I've read. I'm hoping that it was wrong, because those features are essential in my country, where even the poorest street vendors have some sort of phone that has text messaging capabilities. I guess in this feature, the Nokia Communicator series (which you also have... gosh you must be rich :D) beats it.

Sushi
May 22nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
Wow! I'm really excited with this review. Nokia 770 looks like a cool gadget. It's smaller than a tablet PC but with almost the same capabilities. At least, that's what it's advertised to do, right?

Yep. I'm planning to get a bigger memorycard and a bluetooth-keyboard, and then I will have a viable replacement for a laptop :). Abiword for word-processing, Nethack for gaming, and you are all set.

But I guess my biggest disappointment will be that it's the first Nokia gadget that doesn't make calls or send SMS/MMS, from one review I've read. I'm hoping that it was wrong, because those features are essential in my country, where even the poorest street vendors have some sort of phone that has text messaging capabilities.

There is no telephone-functionality in the device. the new version of the OS (should become available soon) does have Google Talk client, so you can make VOIP-calls with it :). And while the device does not have SMS (you might be able to send SMS'es through a paired phone, I haven't checked yet), it does have email-client.

I guess in this feature, the Nokia Communicator series (which you also have... gosh you must be rich :D) beats it.

Well, the Communicator is provided by my employer, I didn't have to buy it myself :).

Jucato
May 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Yep. I'm planning to get a bigger memorycard and a bluetooth-keyboard, and then I will have a viable replacement for a laptop :). Abiword for word-processing, Nethack for gaming, and you are all set.

I wonder if there will come a time that you can have KDE on that. It's my DE of choice. But any DE will do, as long as it's Linux.

[/QUOTE]There is no telephone-functionality in the device. the new version of the OS (should become available soon) does have Google Talk client, so you can make VOIP-calls with it :). And while the device does not have SMS (you might be able to send SMS'es through a paired phone, I haven't checked yet), it does have email-client.[/QUOTE]

Awww... too bad, at least for the Nokia market here. Anyway, I don't see much Linux-based smartphones (mobile phones + PDA) here. That market is still dominated by M$ and XDAs (Motorala is slowly catching up). I have one (SPV Smartphone 2002 a.k.a. Qtek 7070 a.k.a. Orange e100) and I have to reboot to XP from time to time in order to use some functionality/programs (that don't have Linux ports or won't work in WINE). I guess I was hoping that the Nokia 770 would be a sort of replacement. But now it seems that carrying it and a separate phone for SMS/phone functions will be cumbersome... I guess I will have to settle for a Nokia 7710 soon. It's not Linux, but at least it's not M$ either. :D

ell, the Communicator is provided by my employer, I didn't have to buy it myself :).

I have one, the old Nokia 9000 Communicator, the grand daddy of all Communicators. Still working, except for the battery and the IR. :D

Sushi
May 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
posting with the 770, using my wlan at home. works flawlessly :). I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but this is one kick-*** machine!

Jucato
May 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
posting with the 770, using my wlan at home. works flawlessly :). I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but this is one kick-*** machine!

Wow... drooling with jealousy...

How's the handwriting recognition? And is there something like an on-screen keyboard? I'm not really good at the writing stuff, based on my previous experience with Palm. :D

Does it come with a cradle for syncing? I'm a sucker for cradles... :D

Sushi
May 23rd, 2006, 07:07 AM
How's the handwriting recognition? And is there something like an on-screen keyboard? I'm not really good at the writing stuff, based on my previous experience with Palm. :D

There is both on-screen keyboard and handwriting-recognition. I haven't tried the latter because I prefer the keyboard.

Does it come with a cradle for syncing? I'm a sucker for cradles... :D

There is no cradle as such. There is a stand that you can use, but it has no connectors or anything. The device has a standard mini USB-port for syncing.

Jucato
May 23rd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Oh I see. But you can connect the USB while it's on the stand right?

*sigh* I can only dream... :(

Sushi
May 23rd, 2006, 09:27 AM
Oh I see. But you can connect the USB while it's on the stand right?

You sure can. you can charge the device as well.

ssam
May 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
I am wondering if the 770 would be any good for taking lecture notes on.i have tried typing on a laptop in lectures, but there are too many equations and diagrams (physics) for it to be worth it.

i have seen someone manage ok on a tablet pc with a vector drawing program (without handwriting recognition).

does the 770 have a vector drawing program? is it fast enough to write on?

thanks

Sushi
May 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
I am wondering if the 770 would be any good for taking lecture notes on.i have tried typing on a laptop in lectures, but there are too many equations and diagrams (physics) for it to be worth it.

i have seen someone manage ok on a tablet pc with a vector drawing program (without handwriting recognition).

does the 770 have a vector drawing program? is it fast enough to write on?

thanks

You can "scribble" with the device, but I for one have found out that my handwriting sucks even more on tablet than on paper :). Paper is simply so much more tactile than screen on a tablet is. 770 does ship with rudimentary scribbling-app, but there are better alternatives out there, such as MaemoPad+.

I believe a 770-port of Lyx is in the works ;).

SSTwinrova
May 24th, 2006, 04:50 AM
I'm probably gonna wait 'till it drops in price (or maybe I'll see what the next-generation model offers).
Absolutely only reason why I'm not $400 poorer :)

Clay85
May 24th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Their slogan is

It's where you're at.

I refuse to purchase items from companies that:
1. Perpetuate bad grammar.
2. Don't hire an editor.
"Two Week's Notice"[sic] anyone? WB actually refused to fix their error, also. Which I find hilarious!

I'm going to buy the LG VX 9800 (http://www.lgvx9800.com/) soon. (It's a cell phone -not a communicator- though.)

Edit: If you didn't catch it, they used the word "at" at the end of the sentence. If you take off the word at, the sentence becomes, "It's where you are." which is grammatically correct. The word 'at' is unneccessary at that point in the sentence, and in some languages impossible.

I understand people make mistakes (I make grammar errors all the time!), but this is a big company who can hire many people to spell check and grammar check their work. Especially their SLOGAN!