PDA

View Full Version : Considering a tech career

BKbroila
June 21st, 2011, 04:45 AM
I'm currently a college student studying business with an IT specialization. So basically, I have the opportunity to take extra IT classes. They range from programming, advertising design, Media communication, general communications management, network management and social commuting.

For those of you who have had a job in the professional IT world, is there a certain field you see as up and coming? I'm really interested in media communication to maybe work with TV networks or stations.
Another field I'm interested in is product testing. I don't know how any of the fields I can study to push myself towards product testing, but this would be probably my second choice after media communication

I'm not really that hyped about software development (coding). Network management sounds okay, but I don't see myself doing that for years and years. I know I can probably job hop, but I'd rather just not do it.

So basically, have you enjoyed your time in your relative work in IT? If you have relevant experience, do you mind sharing it?
Thanks

Ctrl-Alt-F1
June 21st, 2011, 04:57 AM
I haven't worked in the industry very long. I'm currently working in what could probably called a Jr. Developer position. I've also worked in the systems admin area. I really like the sysadmin field. Surprisingly, I like developing more in the Linux environment, but like administering more in the Windows environment (probably because I understand it more intuitively as I'm relatively new to Linux).

I haven't done any project testing but I have been offered several jobs in that area. From the type of jobs I've heard about it sounds like it pays less than some of the other areas, but it still pays better than some non-technical jobs. I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to get into a technical field, there is probably a more lucrative, more enjoyable field than testing.

BKbroila
June 21st, 2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the info.

Regarding what you've done as a 'Jr developer' and a sysadmin, what do those entail? I've read a bunch of posts from those in the field, but never really bothered to learn the specifics.
Do you/ did you find yourself doing a variety of tasks?

Sef
June 21st, 2011, 05:55 AM
First do you want to deal with hardware or software?

Bradburts
June 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hi,
I have worked in software development for 20 years or so.
ERP is getting big.
That would have you looking at buisiness process review, change management. Working at the implementation end you may need database design, web servers and, say, php coding.
I am not sure that a media communication course gives you an edge, it depends on the detail of the course, but.....
If you like product testing then once the theory is done the implementation may involve; database design, coding, embedded instrument design & coding for, control theory, electronics you name it! Database, web & php say for just software product testing. Either way keeps you challenged for quite a few years.

Sef's signature is spot on though, you've gotta want to do what you study!

PS
Coding is fun!

wrtpeeps
June 22nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Mobile development is going to be big IMO. And thus, UI design will be big (trying to come up with quirky ways to present data on a smaller screen). As will the "cloud".

Software testing is not fun by the way, you're the first person I've ever met that says they enjoy it. Testing in an enterprise environment consists of sitting and running test cases and documenting results. All very formal, all very repetitive and not a lot of creativity involved.

I don't know anything about the administration side of things though I would say that due to the growth of the crowd the demand for people to maintain and manage servers will increase as data centre's grow.

BKbroila
June 22nd, 2011, 04:25 AM
Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that I'd be interested in hardware/product testing.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
June 22nd, 2011, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the info.

Regarding what you've done as a 'Jr developer' and a sysadmin, what do those entail? I've read a bunch of posts from those in the field, but never really bothered to learn the specifics.
Do you/ did you find yourself doing a variety of tasks?

No problem. As a Jr. Developer (my official title is web developer) I program a company's web store for selling a multitude of products. The site was already built when I got there so I mostly do updates and add new features. More complicated tasks are actually performed by my supervisor who is also a programmer. I'm an IT student and I actually never intended to get into programming much, but that's kind of where life has taken me. I hope that I can learn something in the process because I don't feel like I have a lot of time to devote to it outside of work.

As a sysadmin I controlled a Microsoft Exchange Server, Managed much of an Active Directory domain, Managed computer/software inventory, controlled the antivirus and phone solutions, updated and managed workstations etc.

pbpersson
June 22nd, 2011, 05:39 AM
Since 1983 I have held the following positions:

Computer operator
System manager
Senior Programmer/Analyst (COBOL)
Network administrator
Web developer (VB.NET)
Systems analyst

College gives you the opportunity to find what you enjoy.

Ideally you need to find what you really love that you have a special skill for doing and then work to perfect your accuracy and speed until you are a wizard.

(I also spent some time doing 1st and 2nd level helpdesk stuff but I like to forget those years.)

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 23rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
I agree with pbpersson.

The IT field does not allow you to stop learning after you graduate University. It is a constant learning process. The technology changes quickly. Company's aren't willing to pay for your training in the new technologies either; therefore, you have to do it on your own time and at your own expense. You can find efficient was of doing that; such as, setting up your own cloud on computers on your home LAN using Open Source Software.

When I went to University, I learned about vacuum tubes, transistors, and basic logic gates. In 1970, I started as an electronic design engineer. I started with transistor and logic gate designs. Quickly, I began to design more complex circuits as the technology evolved. Eventually, I started to design what would be called motherboards these days. After seeing the IBM, IBM clones, Apples, etc., appear in the technical media, I realized I had to move on to another branch of the IT engineering field. So, I became a systems engineer where I designed systems made from equipment rather than components. That eventually evolved into systems that included the hardware and software. Today, I focus most of my time designing, integrating, and testing software. An increasing amount of the software is becoming commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS).

I guess what I am trying to say is, get a broad engineering degree. Over the decades that you will be working the technology is going to change and the trends driven by the current technology guru's will change.

Olivia Wagner
September 22nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
I'm working as an administrator in a company here. I began my career as a computer operator, as I started working at a very early stage. I didn't had any certification, so gradually my progress came to a pause. It was very much frustrating as computer courses were expensive and I couldn't even leave my present job because of financial issues. Then one of my friend suggested me to go for online degree programs related to computers. He suggested me a site http://www.computertechnician.net/computer-technician-financial-aid-and-scholarships
where I found the complete information about good colleges offering online computer technician courses along with their scholarship schemes. After 4 years I got a bachelor's degree and after working as a computer technician for 3 years, got an opportunity of being the administrator. Career in IT is really rocking in today's technology driven world. :guitar:

technosysind
September 22nd, 2011, 07:42 AM
I think Automated Product testing is something in which you can really grow fast but you need a lot of certifications for that. You will really have to be on your toes to stay updated in this field

WinterMadness
September 22nd, 2011, 09:03 AM
ive only worked intern jobs as a software engineer, and i was always happy doing it. obviously being able to code is becoming more and more important